IGNORED

Texas

Ive been contemplating a central Texas lunch.  The geographic center of Texas is Brady.  I did a little research on maps and it really shows how big Texas is geo wise.  From the West it is more than a 7 hour ride one way to the geo center.  From some of the larger cities its still a 4-5 hour ride.  Hmmm  I'm jealous of our colleagues in CA that meet in the middle occasionally for a day ride lunch.  Not withstanding Covid, and thinking of something of early spring 2021 when Covid might be less significant, if you live in Texas would you be interested in an equivalent of a North South meet like out friends in CA do.  If so what are your recommendations for location.  Would you really come?  The central part of Texas is a good 5 hours for me so 10 hour day not counting lunch and BS time.  Of course our friends in nearby states like La, Ok, etc are always welcome.  

• Like 1

Interested.  I can remember back 17 years ago a number of us (20+ strong) connected in the Dallas area and then rode up to Talahina, OK for lunch.  It was an 800 mile day by the time I got home.   I think that was the day that Yeehaw Stephen lost his final drive on his RT, or maybe it was just a flat tire.  So yes, let's connect in the spring or the winter for that matter.  

Cheers!

I would be in. 

Draw an area between San Antonio and Waco. That would cover the most population and be more or less centrally located. 

Guys and Gals out West might not agree, but they can run 100 mph to get there ( in the right lane....).

• Like 3
Yeeha Stephen
9 hours ago, Limecreek said:

I think that was the day that Yeehaw Stephen lost his final drive on his RT, or maybe it was just a flat tire.  

Cheers!

Twas a flat rear tire. Piece of industrial type wire thru the tread and the side wall. Took 5 plugs to hold enough air to get home..

Yeeha Stephen

Centrally located from San Antonio, DFW and Houston..... Salado TX.

Nice country back roads or slab it. 

Several small restaurants to eat that have either dine-in or take out. Couple of food trucks/trailers in town. 

A nice park at the South end of town if you want to get take-out and eat outdoors.

https://visitsaladotexas.com/

https://www.tourtexas.com/destinations/Salado

Yeeha Stephen

And then how about Burnet TX.

Central TX on US 281.

Just West of town is the 2300 Cafe = Motorcycle friendly. https://www.facebook.com/CafeTwentyThreeHundred/

Across the street is the Motorheads MC Museum. https://www.hillcountrymotorheads.com/

Back down the street is the  Ft Croghan Museum. http://www.aaa.com/travelinfo/texas/burnet/attractions/fort-croghan-museum-502385.html

And a little West are the curvy roads around Inks Lake.

SS 

SS, Terry, LimeC those are all awesome spots.  Let's try to keep this thread moving for a while and see how much interest we can drum up.  I know if we land on something I can publish to the Houston BMW Club and many of those folks will come.  I would still prefer kind of late spring 2021 to give us the best shot of Covid being reduced, but I'm open to other times.  I have not been to those museums so that would have my interest.

SS, Terry, LimeC those are all awesome spots.  Let's try to keep this thread moving for a while and see how much interest we can drum up.  I know if we land on something I can publish to the Houston BMW Club and many of those folks will come.  I would still prefer kind of late spring 2021 to give us the best shot of Covid being reduced, but I'm open to other times.  I have not been to those museums so that would have my interest.

Tewks....BBQ is big here as you can see from the article you posted.  I've been to 11 of those on the list and more that aren't on the list.  One of the ones that is really popular is SNOW's.  It's only open on Saturdays.  You have to get there early, stand in line, and they usually run out before all are served.

For my Texas friends I found this BBQ spot a couple weekends back in Brenham.  Same deal.  Open Saturday at 11 until sold out.  Nice friendly people.  Q is good, banana pudding rocks.  I went through the drive through on my bike then went around front and ate on a picnic table.  Heck I may go there tomorrow. It's called Cody's

q1.jpeg

Q2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Rosita's Mexican restaurant in Llano is the best Mexican I have eaten at. There is also Coopers BBQ in Llano. Early May has the best wildflower roads in Texas. Far better than the Blue Bonnet runs most are used to! IF you have not seen what I am talking about around Llano, make sure you find out!

On 10/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, Skywagon said:

Hmmm  I'm jealous of our colleagues in CA that meet in the middle occasionally for a day ride lunch.

To be fair, according to Google Maps, without any stops (which is impossible) it's 11:54 from California's southern border to its northern border up Interstate 5.  But the population density drops off a lot north of the San Francisco Bay Area.  People from the Bay Area and people from LA may meet in the middle for lunch.  Coming from the San Diego area adds another 90-150 minutes each way (more with traffic).  I can get home from Oakhurst (where the North Meets South event is) in less than a full day, if I stay mostly on the freeway.  I usually take two days to get up there on more interesting roads.

• Thanks 1

If I am available, I am in.  I say do it this fall.  Spring can be wetter.

That is after I service my bike.  It hasn't been started since Fall Torrey!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be staying in a cabin on Medina Lake Nov. 20-23 and exploring as many of the HC roads as possible.   I'll take note of changes in the area and any new eating establishments.

Yeeha Stephen

"What about Thursday for Clear Springs? I think I would be in for that.... "

I'll be checking out of the Whispering Creek Hotel/RV Park (a few miles south of Newton on US190) about 8:30am on Thursday Nov 19th and making my way back to DFW.

I can be there anytime after 11:00am-ish.

Not in a hurry to get home so I could meet after that for lunch.

Let me know.

yeeha_stephen@yahoo.com

or 

yeeha.stephens@gmail.com

SS

Wish I could have made this one. 

I will be in Pearland (with a rental car) for the week after Christmas.  I will keep an eye out for another similar Texas Lunch.  Maybe I can swing by and check out a Real Shelby in person.  :5146:

Cheers!

The Hill Country is still there. Some recent chip seal work slowed us considerably on some roads. The pie was very good and the moto museum was open. Masks - zero masks were seen.  I mean none. 
image.thumb.jpeg.06228b4619a522491c94b071b58490fe.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5c7c169d59fb10fe478b8dd8150aeb6b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.256f85a6c4935f13c72536a8ce5c3412.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51695685fee2d93d541b6fcab4f4245d.jpeg

• 1 month later...
Yeeha Stephen

Hello Texas ...

FYI - I plan on being here for lunch on Saturday May 1st 2021.

Pecan Grove Store Vintage Bike Show and Ride In.

On Hwy 16 just North of Fredericksburg.

(not to be confused with the Texas Fandango vintage bike show and swap meet @ the Gillespie Count Fairgounds, just South of Fredericksburg on April 9/10/11) 

https://www.ridetexas.com/event/fredericksburg-vintage-motorcycle-show/

I set this up as a FTW BMW club ride and I/we should be there about Noon to grab a burger and take in the show.

Over-nighting at the La Quinta Round Rock South on I-35 near the 45 Tollway

Dinner at the Deckhand Oyster Bar just up the street.

Hasta

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

My riding buddy and I are headed for Kerrville from Colorado,  arriving Feb 23.  We plan to spend a few days checking out the “hill” country.  And thawing out, hopefully. 

Maybe we’ll see some of you.  Where can we find that pie? 😀

Yeeha Stephen

Hooya Pie!

You may just hit the weather just right. We've got a cold snap coming the next 2 weeks but it may break by the 23rd.

Just about any Texas small town cafe that has a Chicken Fried Steak lunch special will have good pie.

Don't know your route but down the middle of the state on US 281 headed to central Texas and looking for pie check these special spots:

Koffee Kup in Hico TX

https://www.koffeekupfamilyrestaurant.com/

The Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls TX

https://www.bluebonnetcafe.net/pie-menu

Then over to Fredericksburg just off Hwy 16 is the Fredericksburg Pie Co

https://www.fbgpie.com/

And a few miles South of Kerrville on Hwy in Medina is the Apple Store.... Apple pie and strudel!

http://lovecreekorchards.com/

Have fun!

SS

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Yeeha Stephen said:

Hooya Pie!

You may just hit the weather just right. We've got a cold snap coming the next 2 weeks but it may break by the 23rd.

Thanks for the tips.  I had to laugh -- your overnight lows are about like our daytime highs.  :thumbsup:

Cap

Hope you enjoy your trip.  Just FYI....The Texas small town police and the Texas Highway Patrol are pretty strict in that area.  I would advise sticking pretty close to the speed limit.  If for any reason you guys have a breakdown and need some help...post up here and maybe we can help.  Safe riding.

• Like 1
Yeeha Stephen
6 hours ago, Cap said:

...overnight lows are about like our daytime highs...  :thumbsup:

Cap

That's why I park my but here. Don't like cold weather so much. I will be hibernating the next week or so.... highs in the teens this coming Sunday are just too much for a guy that was out in a t-shirt and shorts painting his garage doors in the mid- '60's last Sunday!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I snuck a trip to Kerrville and Big Bend late in February -- we delayed a few days to allow the locals to recover from the big freeze.  It was still foggy and drizzly in Kerrville.  The riding wasn't all that great -- the road surface on the 3 sisters seemed to be losing the aggregate, which, combined with unfamiliarity and wet conditions, resulted in suboptimal experiences.  Oh well.  I can say that Bill's BBQ in Kerrville was the highlight of the trip! 

The good news is that we bailed on Kerrville and moved to Terlingua.  And we caught a beautiful few days there, and discovered some nice twisties -- one of which had just been paved that same day we arrived.  Nice.  I had an embarrassing moment when I waved at a couple of motorcyclists going the other direction, while I was, err, somewhat extensively over the posted limit, and it turned out to be two TX state patrol officers.  They didn't wave back... but they let me go without a second glance.  Thanks, Texas.

And now I am back home in Colorado for the Great Blizzard of 2021.  Perfect time to complete my major service on the RT.

Cap

Big Bend.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Headed west from FL passing through TX beginning May 5.  First night May 7 in Cleveland then headed for a night at Canyon Lake visiting my sister then a couple nights in Kerrville, and one in Rock Springs before I head for Ruidoso and other points. Coffee anyone?