Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Veefore

The Project

Recommended Posts

Veefore

Sooo.....I have known about this bike for sometime. It was at a friend’s house and had been left there after a divorce.  Long story short, it’s mine now.  It had been sitting at least 10 Years.  It’s a 93 with 26,000 miles on it.


I bought a shop manual and started with the obvious, Evicted the inhabitants, fresh battery, clean tank, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel injectors and oil change and it fired right off.  Many more tasks to complete but my winter won’t be boring.  My hope is it will be a nice garage partner to my 1200 RT.  These bikes always intrigued me when they were new.  Dad had a K 100 LT and this always seemed more suited to my needs.
2282479D-0241-491A-8BE4-35761E0C4C51.thumb.jpeg.cbe6b91e76b2a0c45ce93d743bf284a4.jpeg
 

 

181ECCBC-ECBD-4F24-B83A-6F9EBDC81650.jpeg.9469f79fa0f448355a913d3961d91ae9.jpeg


 

Share this post


Link to post
9Mary7

Nice lookin K75s!!

That will be a fun winter project, congrats:18:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore

Thanks, the bike actually has some tasteful mods, Staintune pipe, Koni shock.  My enthusiasm was kept in check until it started, now I just wanna ride it, LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Oldrider51

That is a great catch. Had an 87 model in black for over 10 years and 98000 miles. Only problem was the drives shaft splines at the rear end failed at 29000. Did the spline lube every year after that. Will be a great bike. ENJOY!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore
1 hour ago, 041100S said:

That is a great catch. Had an 87 model in black for over 10 years and 98000 miles. Only problem was the drives shaft splines at the rear end failed at 29000. Did the spline lube every year after that. Will be a great bike. ENJOY!

The spline lube is on the list!

Share this post


Link to post
TEWKS

My buddy had that same bike, same color too I believe. Silky smooth motor! :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore

It will be kind of no nonsense compared to the amenities on the RT, as much as I love my bells and whistles I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Oldrider51

Rode my 87 to California, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ohio, and many other places with no farkles and it was Great! Changed only two valve shims in 98000 miles, it was very reliable after the spline failure. Water pump seals had to be changed twice. A friend painted it red after 5 years. I think you will really enjoy the simpleness of it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore
3 hours ago, 041100S said:

Rode my 87 to California, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ohio, and many other places with no farkles and it was Great! Changed only two valve shims in 98000 miles, it was very reliable after the spline failure. Water pump seals had to be changed twice. A friend painted it red after 5 years. I think you will really enjoy the simpleness of it.

 

Wow, that sounds like heaven. I remember the days of throwing a small backpack on and taking off on  my Suzuki  GS 700 ES  for trips....Before a career, mortgages, family… The days of paper maps, no responsibilities and wet skivvies, LOL

Really looking forward to basics.

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore

It’s first 120 miles today.  New stainless brake lines, Metzelers, couple of electrical clean ups from prior installations and off I went.

First impressions?  Great sounds and decent power from the three cylinder, the Koni shock and suspension feel great, the low end fueling seemed to clean up as the ride went on, holds a line extremely well when heeled over.  The transmission will take some learning 🤔.  I think we’ll get along great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
MontanaMark

Veefore,t

 

Good call on the brake lines and tires.  You may want to change your fork oil, too.  I pulled the forks (winter project) and drained all the gunk out, cleaned, reinstalled and added a heavier oil.  What a difference! 

 

Just my 2cts,

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Dennis Andress

Are Flying Bricks back in vogue? Every now and then I look at used K1200 GTs; the last time I wound up buying a K13S...

 

K100 maintenance items I found most helpful

  • There's a crocked little hose between the engine block and the airbox. It's on the left side of the engine, just aft of the throttle bodies. This is the crankcase vent. It deteriorates and sucks air.
  • Open, clean and reassemble every electrical connection. Sounds simple but it does help.
  • The intake stubs between the head and throttle bodies have an o'ring to seal them against the head. The o'rings last about three years before they suck air.
  • Spark plug wires last about two years. They're horribly expensive but at least you only need three.

By the way, nice bike. Ride good!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore
On 3/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, MontanaMark said:

Veefore,t

 

Good call on the brake lines and tires.  You may want to change your fork oil, too.  I pulled the forks (winter project) and drained all the gunk out, cleaned, reinstalled and added a heavier oil.  What a difference! 

 

Just my 2cts,

Mark

I agree, that’s one of the next items on the list.  They feel stiff enough if not a touch harsh but given the age ..understandable.

Share this post


Link to post
Veefore
On 3/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Are Flying Bricks back in vogue? Every now and then I look at used K1200 GTs; the last time I wound up buying a K13S...

 

K100 maintenance items I found most helpful

  • There's a crocked little hose between the engine block and the airbox. It's on the left side of the engine, just aft of the throttle bodies. This is the crankcase vent. It deteriorates and sucks air.
  • Open, clean and reassemble every electrical connection. Sounds simple but it does help.
  • The intake stubs between the head and throttle bodies have an o'ring to seal them against the head. The o'rings last about three years before they suck air.
  • Spark plug wires last about two years. They're horribly expensive but at least you only need three.

By the way, nice bike. Ride good!

 

Thank you for the guidance.  As I said I knew this bike was at a friends for a long time.....if I have one they CANNOT en vogue, lol.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...