IGNORED

The Project

Veefore

Sooo.....I have known about this bike for sometime. It was at a friend’s house and had been left there after a divorce.  Long story short, it’s mine now.  It had been sitting at least 10 Years.  It’s a 93 with 26,000 miles on it.

I bought a shop manual and started with the obvious, Evicted the inhabitants, fresh battery, clean tank, fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel injectors and oil change and it fired right off.  Many more tasks to complete but my winter won’t be boring.  My hope is it will be a nice garage partner to my 1200 RT.  These bikes always intrigued me when they were new.  Dad had a K 100 LT and this always seemed more suited to my needs.
2282479D-0241-491A-8BE4-35761E0C4C51.thumb.jpeg.cbe6b91e76b2a0c45ce93d743bf284a4.jpeg

181ECCBC-ECBD-4F24-B83A-6F9EBDC81650.jpeg.9469f79fa0f448355a913d3961d91ae9.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks, the bike actually has some tasteful mods, Staintune pipe, Koni shock.  My enthusiasm was kept in check until it started, now I just wanna ride it, LOL

• Like 1

That is a great catch. Had an 87 model in black for over 10 years and 98000 miles. Only problem was the drives shaft splines at the rear end failed at 29000. Did the spline lube every year after that. Will be a great bike. ENJOY!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 041100S said:

That is a great catch. Had an 87 model in black for over 10 years and 98000 miles. Only problem was the drives shaft splines at the rear end failed at 29000. Did the spline lube every year after that. Will be a great bike. ENJOY!

The spline lube is on the list!

It will be kind of no nonsense compared to the amenities on the RT, as much as I love my bells and whistles I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Rode my 87 to California, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ohio, and many other places with no farkles and it was Great! Changed only two valve shims in 98000 miles, it was very reliable after the spline failure. Water pump seals had to be changed twice. A friend painted it red after 5 years. I think you will really enjoy the simpleness of it.

3 hours ago, 041100S said:

Rode my 87 to California, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Ohio, and many other places with no farkles and it was Great! Changed only two valve shims in 98000 miles, it was very reliable after the spline failure. Water pump seals had to be changed twice. A friend painted it red after 5 years. I think you will really enjoy the simpleness of it.

Wow, that sounds like heaven. I remember the days of throwing a small backpack on and taking off on  my Suzuki  GS 700 ES  for trips....Before a career, mortgages, family… The days of paper maps, no responsibilities and wet skivvies, LOL

Really looking forward to basics.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

It’s first 120 miles today.  New stainless brake lines, Metzelers, couple of electrical clean ups from prior installations and off I went.

First impressions?  Great sounds and decent power from the three cylinder, the Koni shock and suspension feel great, the low end fueling seemed to clean up as the ride went on, holds a line extremely well when heeled over.  The transmission will take some learning 🤔.  I think we’ll get along great.

• Like 2
MontanaMark

Veefore,t

Good call on the brake lines and tires.  You may want to change your fork oil, too.  I pulled the forks (winter project) and drained all the gunk out, cleaned, reinstalled and added a heavier oil.  What a difference! 

Just my 2cts,

Mark

• Plus 1 1
Dennis Andress

Are Flying Bricks back in vogue? Every now and then I look at used K1200 GTs; the last time I wound up buying a K13S...

K100 maintenance items I found most helpful

• There's a crocked little hose between the engine block and the airbox. It's on the left side of the engine, just aft of the throttle bodies. This is the crankcase vent. It deteriorates and sucks air.
  • Open, clean and reassemble every electrical connection. Sounds simple but it does help.
  • The intake stubs between the head and throttle bodies have an o'ring to seal them against the head. The o'rings last about three years before they suck air.
  • Spark plug wires last about two years. They're horribly expensive but at least you only need three.

By the way, nice bike. Ride good!

• Like 2
On 3/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, MontanaMark said:

Veefore,t

Good call on the brake lines and tires.  You may want to change your fork oil, too.  I pulled the forks (winter project) and drained all the gunk out, cleaned, reinstalled and added a heavier oil.  What a difference! 

Just my 2cts,

Mark

I agree, that’s one of the next items on the list.  They feel stiff enough if not a touch harsh but given the age ..understandable.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:28 PM, Dennis Andress said:

Are Flying Bricks back in vogue? Every now and then I look at used K1200 GTs; the last time I wound up buying a K13S...

K100 maintenance items I found most helpful

• There's a crocked little hose between the engine block and the airbox. It's on the left side of the engine, just aft of the throttle bodies. This is the crankcase vent. It deteriorates and sucks air.
  • Open, clean and reassemble every electrical connection. Sounds simple but it does help.
  • The intake stubs between the head and throttle bodies have an o'ring to seal them against the head. The o'rings last about three years before they suck air.
  • Spark plug wires last about two years. They're horribly expensive but at least you only need three.

By the way, nice bike. Ride good!

Thank you for the guidance.  As I said I knew this bike was at a friends for a long time.....if I have one they CANNOT en vogue, lol.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

700 miles so far and it finally doesn’t smell like stale fuel and mice, lol.   My poor Wethead has been idle in the garage, I’m enjoying the hell out of this thing.  I find this is the first thing I grab the keys to when I have to run errands . Working the bugs out as I go.  Cleaned the ignition switch and it solved an electrical blip.  
Finding the riding position reminiscent of my sportbikes of yesteryear and I must say I’m enjoying it.  The Staintune is LOUD..........first bike I’ve felt earplugs are a necessity.

No big hit, just nice linear torque and pull.  Next test, it will be a loaner for a friend for a trip through the Northeast.  Gotta keep putting on test miles.

CA465ADB-22E1-4F0F-A5F3-0B94DCB0215C.jpeg

• Smile 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, my friend and I did a five day tour of the Northeast, he flew in from Colorado. I rode my 15 RT and he rode the K 75S.  Six states, 1300 miles from Connecticut through the Green Mountain Gaps, to the Adirondacks, across Champlain, through Smugglers Notch  up to the Canadian border to Maine and down through the White Mountains. Even with a day and a half of rain  the old girl didn’t miss a beat.

I was sure My friend would want to switch due to the riding position but I would’ve had to fight him for the keys.  It was an epic journey and one I won’t  soon forget. One of those times where you kind of bond with a bike, It has earned its spot in the garage.

0FFCDAFA-76AA-4EFB-A81E-1D8920A1AC5C.png

070571A0-9A54-4918-B351-F019A6B2B625.jpeg

461E14FC-B539-4333-8DDB-936C988207BF.jpeg

924C1A4F-3C36-4930-AC9B-91F993CE8F4F.jpeg

AF52CAB9-859E-471A-99AB-0825DD8434C8.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Smile 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a 1990 K75s with low milage, Probably sat around too long somewhere with only 16,000 miles on it, But it cranks  up and all it needs is s a radiator fan and a temp sensor right now. The guy I bought it from was also selling a 2004 r1150r oilhead boxer, so I bought that too. Plan is to teach my wife to ride on the K-Bikei and we can do some touring together. I hate riding people on the back.

Long story short, I ended up with almost the same two bikes.BMrBoxer.jpg.62c32b187637ecea0ef9ff6955191ef9.jpgBMrBoxer.jpg.62c32b187637ecea0ef9ff6955191ef9.jpg

K75s.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, SCOOTERTR6 said:

Got a 1990 K75s with low milage, Probably sat around too long somewhere with only 16,000 miles on it, But it cranks  up and all it needs is s a radiator fan and a temp sensor right now. The guy I bought it from was also selling a 2004 r1150r oilhead boxer, so I bought that too. Plan is to teach my wife to ride on the K-Bikei and we can do some touring together. I hate riding people on the back.

Long story short, I ended up with almost the same two bikes.BMrBoxer.jpg.62c32b187637ecea0ef9ff6955191ef9.jpgBMrBoxer.jpg.62c32b187637ecea0ef9ff6955191ef9.jpg

K75s.jpg

Beautiful machines and they look all there.  You’ve got a nice stable there.  The brown truck delivered many cardboard boxes to our place over the winter from Beemer Boneyard, Euromotoelectric and Max, lol.

• Plus 1 1

These are very tough bikes . I bought this '87 K75RT from a junk yard for $300.00 . No title . I wanted something to do over winter . By spring I had a great running 75S . Should have kept it .

She was sitting in the junk yard more than three years . The only things needing replacement were the speedometer board and the oilpump shaft .

Bills bike front left.jpg

K75RT.jpg

K75S rebuild #2.jpg

K75S.jpg

• Like 1

To all you K 75 owners I would highly suggest seeking out a later model centerstand.  The curved ones will eventually break.  Not if, when.  Then your nice bodywork and side cases end up not being so nice.  Find one of the straight ones off a newer bike.  

I have experienced the failing centerstand.  Got off the bike, put it on the centerstand, took about 10 steps away and CRASH.  At a local bike gathering place with about 15 or 20 Harleys present.  They sent a girl over to help me pick it up while laughing their a$$es off.

This is what you want.

k100-4v-k1100lt-rs-centerstand-w-mounting-bracket-springs-3.thumb.jpg.8e42446817a99d0bf2463647925cde1f.jpg

• Smile 1
On 7/1/2021 at 6:51 AM, DakarTimm said:

These are very tough bikes . I bought this '87 K75RT from a junk yard for $300.00 . No title . I wanted something to do over winter . By spring I had a great running 75S . Should have kept it .

She was sitting in the junk yard more than three years . The only things needing replacement were the speedometer board and the oilpump shaft .

Bills bike front left.jpg

K75RT.jpg

K75S rebuild #2.jpg

K75S.jpg

What a great project and outcome!  When I got mine together I spent the spring putting test miles and sorting some minor teething issues prior to our trip.  Minor because answers were never too far away thanks to the K75s regard in the BMW community and some helpful, knowledgeable owners who have put their experience and info out for others.

The moment I rode the bike I knew it was no ordinary 28 year old bike, it felt substantial and durable.   

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mophead said:

To all you K 75 owners I would highly suggest seeking out a later model centerstand.  The curved ones will eventually break.  Not if, when.  Then your nice bodywork and side cases end up not being so nice.  Find one of the straight ones off a newer bike.  

I have experienced the failing centerstand.  Got off the bike, put it on the centerstand, took about 10 steps away and CRASH.  At a local bike gathering place with about 15 or 20 Harleys present.  They sent a girl over to help me pick it up while laughing their a$$es off.

This is what you want.

k100-4v-k1100lt-rs-centerstand-w-mounting-bracket-springs-3.thumb.jpg.8e42446817a99d0bf2463647925cde1f.jpg

And here I was thinking the ridiculously short side stand would be it’s downfall,,,,😂😂😂😂

• 2 months later...

Played hooky and hit some of my favorite twisties today, the bike was happy and Greylock delivered great views.  I have twice the mileage on this than on my RT this year……🙈😂

Played watchmaker and replaced the odometer gears this week which had failed during my last ride..  Pretty common on these from what I understand.

A11BFB2F-B2AF-4676-8660-C6ED8E5BDA18.jpeg

309B5954-8E2D-4AB8-AFBB-94434C659030.jpeg

64FAA5DF-FA22-4C8E-B92B-42A88274A912.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Nice job to getting it ridable.

I have a friend with 2 identical K75's.

He has over a million miles on the 2 bikes.

Maintain them and ride them...

2 hours ago, tallman said:

Nice job to getting it ridable.

I have a friend with 2 identical K75's.

He has over a million miles on the 2 bikes.

Maintain them and ride them...

Thanks, some misc. projects for the winter but it’s a keeper, over 4100 miles since it was “reborn” last spring.  I always seem to take the long way when I take it out.

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...

This weeks Marketplace purchase, a Corbin Gunfighter.  After my wife took 1 ride on the back and compared the amenities to my RT, a period correct solo seat was in order, lol.

05CDD2F4-7C5B-46AC-8143-8CB0B21D0EFD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • 4 months later...

So……..thought I had my 2015 RT all ready for the trip to NJMP for the superbikes last Friday. Mind you I made a mental note while doing my brake flush a month and a half ago that I probably should change the battery which was three years old (i’ve had one fail at this age on a Honda I owned ). 5 o’clock in the morning I roll it out to the door and the battery shorts out when I turn on the ignition.
What to do… and mind you it was suggested we take the truck…BS!!   I threw my luggage on the 29 year old K75s……600 mile trip, the old girl didn’t miss a beat and started conversations everywhere we went. The K has attained a rockstar status in my garage, lol. I was patting the gas tank and talking to it the last hour of the trip. Is it wrong to hug a motorcycle??  As for the RT, the new battery should be here tomorrow – damn fine machine and an error on my part.

80630E20-0F4C-4FB3-9134-DAE89BFFB45E.jpeg

59693B21-9818-4520-93F4-F3329A82F9D6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

When New England gives the roads a wash and 50 degree temps in January it’s time for the first ride of 23’!

66383ED0-3CE0-418D-9966-07DED2162C5F.jpeg

• Like 3
On 9/13/2022 at 9:35 AM, Veefore said:

– damn fine machine and an error on my part.

NOT an error!!  It is a superb machine and a very different ride/style/purpose.  There will be times when the RT will be the best bike for the ride and there will be times when you're glad you have a Plan B for both.  AMHIK

21 hours ago, Lowndes said:

NOT an error!!  It is a superb machine and a very different ride/style/purpose.  There will be times when the RT will be the best bike for the ride and there will be times when you're glad you have a Plan B for both.  AMHIK

Darn glad it was there, my friend looked at me like I had three heads when I started transferring luggage, lol.  I had faith.

22 hours ago, Lowndes said:

image.png.b08a7e8a868f1164f5b81d72f1c71aa6.png

The word svelt comes to mind.

I have the stock chin fairing which is perfect shape but (IMO) it looks better without it.  I think it looked “boxy” with the lower…….again my opinion only 🫣. And don’t worry, I got chastised by a purist when I was out and about, lol.

I garvitate to machines that display function as the highest diety.  Function can be aerodynamics, mechanical efficiency, or ergodynamics.  The best are the proper blends of all three.

"I have the stock chin fairing which is perfect shape but (IMO) it looks better without it.  I think it looked “boxy” with the lower"  Agreed!!  I do like the heart of the machine on full display.

2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I garvitate to machines that display function as the highest diety.  Function can be aerodynamics, mechanical efficiency, or ergodynamics.  The best are the proper blends of all three.

That R1100S definitely follows that logic 🤔👍

• 9 months later...

Well I couldn’t do it anymore.  The Staintune was deafening……like earplug deafening.  I also stumbled upon a Don Eilenberger dyno graph that shows the loss from stock with the Staintune….nuff said.  
Perusing the classifieds on MOA one day I found a stock end can in beautiful shape, after having it sit in the garage for a year I put it on.  Why didn’t I do this sooner???  I now have cleaned up throttle response, midrange and I’m not asking who’s phone is ringing every time I shut it off, lol.  The bike has always been fun to ride but it’s MUCH more enjoyable now.  

the dyno run data

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0379.jpeg

71483527560__D8754479-11DC-4AF7-BBD0-2573BE2A4C22.jpeg

• 4 months later...
Veefore

Today’s much delayed project.  Replacement of the seeping rear master cylinder.  Fresh parts from EME and a few hours of therapeutic garage time.

IMG_4112.jpeg

IMG_4111.jpeg