IGNORED

Wisdom of the board

Lawman

I have approx. 8000 miles on my 05 RT..(a little less)..It was last serviced by the dealer at 800 miles..I changed the oil at 5500 miles..I want to go to Torrey but cannot get my bike serviced in time..By the schedule it looks like the only thing that really counts is the oil change which I've done and the valves checked which has not been done..It's about 3000 miles round trip for me to go to Torrey..Should I go or should I get the bike serviced before such a trip? The bike is running great! If I skip the service how will my warranty be affected?

Thanks...

MooreDriven

If your doing the maintenance yourself, BMW would have no way of knowing that the recommend intervals were followed. However, I would recommend that you follow the recommended schedule as close as possible. Running the risk of damage or unnecessary wear to the engine is just not worth it.

Going over a few hundred miles is not the end of the world. Exceeding the intervals by several thousand miles could create issues further down the line.

Billy

If it was me ,i would change oil, check tires and all fluids and take off. when you get back do 12,000 mi service. To me the 12,000mi or the annual service are the important ones as for as the warranty is concerned, but that is just what i think, don't really know what BMW thinks.

Jim

chrisolson

Don't know what your route looks like, but maybe you could schedule service on the way up at Santa Fe BMW or something else closer to how your going?

Don't know what your route looks like, but maybe you could schedule service on the way up at Santa Fe BMW or something else closer to how your going?

I just checked with Santa Fe and Albuquerque for either the seventeenth or eighteenth nad neither can get to me.. bncry.gif

I had my RT serviced for the second time at 8200 miles. They didn't seem too concerned that I was late, but the valves were loose. The service tech said that they are always loose at service time, so yours likely are too. Whether that will cause any significant long-term issues, I don't know.

Jay

ShovelStrokeEd

Billy,

You already changed the oil and filter. Ride on up there.

When you get to Torrey, take off the seat, upack you tool kit and spread it out on the ground near the bike. Have a small cooler packed with ice and an adult beverage of some sort. Then just stand around looking piteous.

Someone will show up with an offer of help within 1/2 hour or so. Explain your problem and before long, there will be about 8 folks around your bike. The reason for the small cooler will quickly become obvious. If you had a big cooler they'd probably dismantle your whole bike. Small cooler for small job.

Ed,

Thanks for the laugh grin.gif...I really needed it about now..I'm sitting here feeling sorry for myself remembering what I didn't like about my previous BMW's..If I could be sure about your plan I would do exactly that!

chrisolson

Lawman - DO NOT WORRY - Ed has it EXACTLY correct - Promise.

The important part to remember is the cooler packed with ice and an adult beverage of some sort!! grin.gif

Ride up. Don't miss it. See you there. I'll be on the GT this time instead of the big blue LT.

Ed left out the most important part....park it in front of Killers and have a couple Guinness in the cooler.....he'll do anything for Guinness.....if that don't work bring out the heavy artillery....Single Malt Scotch....

Whip

Billy,

If you're really worried about it, check if "European Cycle Sport" dealership in Plano, Tx. can service you (www.bmwmotorcyclesdallas.com). There phone number is: 972.881.0774.

The head of their Service Department is a young man by the name of Marron (sp?); he seems to know his stuff. I have always found this dealership both accomodating and knowledgeable.

Start your trip a day early; if they can get you in to do the service just drop the bike off and stay at our house (we live in Highland Village, Tx. near Lewisville). My wife Joyce is a great cook so at least you'll eat well.

I'm going to Gunnison too. Let me know if we can help out.

Mike05

'05 R1200RT

Oops...,

Wrong rally. I confused Torrey with Gunnison. My bad.

You're still welcome if you decide to make the UNRally too or just come to Dallas for whatever reason. Meant well.

Mike05

Ed left out the most important part....park it in front of Killers and have a couple Guinness in the cooler.....he'll do anything for Guinness
Well, almost anything! Bring it over to my garage and we'll see who we can round up to take a look, I've never done a 1200 but I have all the stuff for my 1150 which I think will work just fine (same valve clearances?). Shouldn't take more than an hour but it needs to be cold so you might want to leave it overnight in the garage.

Anybody that thinks they might want to change tyres can also have them shipped here and I have a Harbour Freight stand and Mitch's mojo bar plus bead breaker and balancer, I won't do them for you and I don't have rim protectors (not needed with this bar anyway).

Just a reminder however, it is over 200 miles to the nearest BMW dealer from Torrey! Don't be adventurous in wrenching or you may be staying a while...

I'm in clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif New back tire mounted on rim. I will re attach to the bike as soon as I complete this post..Appointment made at North Dallas BMW for my 6000 mile service on 5/17/06 thanks to Mike 05... thumbsup.gif

Reservations at Day's Inn for May 19, and 20...Am I forgetting anything? The Board comes through again clap.gif

Archived