IGNORED

mfg safety recalls- what's the story??

sbeec

So - new to BMW's but really old to the motorcycle world......I just closed the deal on a new to me 2018 1200RT (yea !!!) and while I was negotiating, I asked for a list of safety recalls that were applicable for my VIN.  I was told by the BMW dealer that BMW corporate would not release the safety recalls to the public !?!?  They would only say that there were not any recalls for my 2018.

That doesn't sound right.....on any bikes or cars that I've purchased , I can get a build list as ordered from the original buyer and a list any recalls.

Was I being bamboozled ???  Or is it true??

Rich

BMW Motorrad definitely needs to inform the bike owner.  Usually a letter is in order.  With you being the owner, they need to tell you about it.   Right?   Oh, and you ARE the public.   Maybe the guy did not know what he was talking about. 

When I took my '19 1250 RT in for the 12k service, the service manager said they were going to look at the front calipers due to leaking complaints.   I knew about it; read it on the web somewhere.  I cannot say for certain if that was an official recall at that time, but still.......I believe it is now.

There is someplace online that you can type in the VIN and see if any recalls are needed.  Maybe another board member can elaborate on that for ya.

Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

BMW Motorrad definitely needs to inform the bike owner.  Usually a letter is in order.  With you being the owner, they need to tell you about it.   Right? 

If the recall was issued while the bike was owned by the dealership, then I would think the dealer would get the letter.  sbeec said he just bought it, so a letter from BMW Motorrad wouldn't come to his mailbox unless the recall were issued after he became the owner of record. 

I'm guessing BMW Motorrad doesn't have any legal responsibility to inform the general public (i.e. anyone other than the current owner of record).   That said, it's kind of a a jerk move for them (or the dealer) to not tell a prospective owner about any outstanding recalls on a bike he's about to buy.  At the very least, the dealer should have told him where to go to find out (e.g. the links dirtrider provided).  Seems like if you're selling a bike to a guy, you want him to have confidence in what he's getting...

Try https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls.  You can enter a specific VIN to see any outstanding recalls on that bike. It's public info.

Or, enter year, make, and model to see which recalls have been issued, details on the problem and the solutions.  Also shows complaints and investigations. Search for 2018 BMW R1200 RT, the space between "R1200" and "RT" is essential. Some recalls may not have applied to your particular vehicle due to options, build date, etc.

think, but am not sure, that dealers are required to complete any outstanding recalls before selling a used bike.

EDIT: I'm not finding any recalls for the 2018 R1200 RT, but there are several "manufacturer communications" about issues that do not rise to the level of a recall.

Joe Frickin' Friday
10 hours ago, lkraus said:

think, but am not sure, that dealers are required to complete any outstanding recalls before selling a used bike.

A few years ago there was a recall for a suspension problem.  The issue was considered so serious that BMW was advising owners to stop riding affected bikes immediately, saying they (BMW) would come and pick up your bike to take it to the dealer and get the fix done.  As I recall, there were some cases in which new owners had just signed the papers were not allowed to take their new bikes home from the dealer until the work was done (presumably there were also some sales that were also paused before ownership was actually transferred).  It was kind of a shocking thing at the time, and unless someone knows better, it leads me to believe that less urgent recalls (i.e. the ones that don't include a "stop riding immediately advisory) probably don't have to get done by the dealer before selling the bike.  

I suspect that dealers do take care of recalls before selling a bike whenever they can; after all, they do get comped by corporate for doing the work. 

Well - that is all very interesting.  So the NHTSA site referred me to BMW Motorrad.   The BMW site " did not recognize the chassis"...... so i feel good that there are not any recalls tied to my bike, which is what the dealer told me.

But---- the link and availability to a BMW sponsored website shows that the information is public which is NOT what the dealer said.  I don't think the dealer was holding back info on purpose though.  

I'll forward the BMW website for recalls to the dealer for his SA.

thanks for all the input

Rich

7 minutes ago, sbeec said:

Well - that is all very interesting.  So the NHTSA site referred me to BMW Motorrad.   The BMW site " did not recognize the chassis"...... so i feel good that there are not any recalls tied to my bike, which is what the dealer told me.

But---- the link and availability to a BMW sponsored website shows that the information is public which is NOT what the dealer said.  I don't think the dealer was holding back info on purpose though.  

I'll forward the BMW website for recalls to the dealer for his SA.

thanks for all the input

Rich

Morning Rich

It has been a while but at one time the BMW site didn't recognize the chassis if you weren't signed up (registered) with BMW. So either try signing up, and/or try calling the hotline number. 

By signing up that means info not readily available to the general public but still available to BMW owners. 

16 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Rich

It has been a while but at one time the BMW site didn't recognize the chassis if you weren't signed up (registered) with BMW. So either try signing up, and/or try calling the hotline number. 

By signing up that means info not readily available to the general public but still available to BMW owners. 

Makes sense dirt rider.....I will do that !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned my 2018 R1200RT-LC with all options, since it was new (Oct 2017) and it has not had any recalls of any kind. Their may have been some firmware or software updates. But no recalls. 

Rich, I hope this will ease your mind about your new RT.

The dealer is represented by the individual you are dealing with.   I expect that individual is misinformed and not representing his dealership or BMW well.   That Sain, the 2018 does not have any recalls at this time.  

On 11/8/2020 at 4:54 PM, Bernie said:

I have owned my 2018 R1200RT-LC with all options, since it was new (Oct 2017) and it has not had any recalls of any kind. Their may have been some firmware or software updates. But no recalls. 

Rich, I hope this will ease your mind about your new RT.

It does help - and I will check with BMW to register - otherwise I won't receive any comms with MOTORAD.

Yeeha Stephen

2019 RT and I recently got  a recall., for leaking front calipers. Repair done in one day - no cost.

Friend's 1600GT got one for transmission shift forks. 2 weeks fixed for free.

Nuther friend got one for his 800 GS for lighting probs. One day fixed for free.

All informed in advance by the dealer and all fixed for free.

Just sayin'

SS

On 11/13/2020 at 5:48 PM, Yeeha Stephen said:

2019 RT and I recently got  a recall., for leaking front calipers. Repair done in one day - no cost.

Friend's 1600GT got one for transmission shift forks. 2 weeks fixed for free.

Nuther friend got one for his 800 GS for lighting probs. One day fixed for free.

All informed in advance by the dealer and all fixed for free.

Just sayin'

SS

that's promising feedback.  To help with notification - contacting BMW Motorrad to ensure my contact to the VIN is updated.

• 2 months later...

Safety (and emissions) recalls are mandated by the USA Federal Government, which requires the manufacturer to inform the vehicle owner and perform the fix for free (always).  Recalls never expire.

It's not clear to me, but it could easily be illegal for a dealer to sell a vehicle with an open recall ... unless the manufacturer has successfully convinced the government there is a valid reason for a delay (usually parts availability).  Should this be the case, the dealer is obligated to inform the purchaser.

If you do not live in the USA, YMMV.

Many times recalls are confused with Service Actions, which are solely determined by the manufacturer and of course do not involve safety or emissions, meaning there is no government involvement.  There is no obligation to inform the vehicle owner of these situations, and they are usually only ever revealed to an owner about to spend money for dealer service, perhaps even for a related complaint.  They are performed for free when the vehicle is under warranty, otherwise it depends on the good will of the manufacturer.  Service actions can expire.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the info.  Just took my 2005 R1200RT in due to 4 Safety Recalls still pending.  I was wondering if it was going to cost me.  You have answered the question for me.  thanks!

John

Milton, FL

2005 BMW R1200RT

2009 Triumph Bonneville T100