IGNORED

70W-80 Hypoid Axle G3

Kashmir

Hello All

I have a 2020 RT1250RT and the final drive fluid calls for the BMW (P/N: 83-22-2-413-512) 70W-80 Hypoid Axle G3. I see on the bottle that it is a GL5 fluid. Has anyone utilized other brands of GL5 fluids in their bikes? I know Redline and other manufacturers make a fluid that they say is compatible. All my other Beemers just take normal GL5 axle fluid but can not find anything on the G3 stuff. Thank you for any input you may have. 

30 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

Hello All

I have a 2020 RT1250RT and the final drive fluid calls for the BMW (P/N: 83-22-2-413-512) 70W-80 Hypoid Axle G3. I see on the bottle that it is a GL5 fluid. Has anyone utilized other brands of GL5 fluids in their bikes? I know Redline and other manufacturers make a fluid that they say is compatible. All my other Beemers just take normal GL5 axle fluid but can not find anything on the G3 stuff. Thank you for any input you may have. 

Afternoon  Kashmir

What you are up against is BMW's creativity, BMW is world renowned for specifying engine oil & gear oils that are specified  just outside of normal (generic) oil specifications.  It seems to be their own way of beating the requirement to use ONLY their own branded expensive oil (that would illegal), so they find a sneaky way to specify oil's that are just enough different to force you to buy their brand oil without actually requiring you to.  

There are a number of 70W-80 gear oils available but most are only GL-4 rated & that isn't quite correct for a modern final drive that has Hypoid gears. 

Redline has this stuff. I know it is 75W-90 GL5 Hypoid but should be close enough to a 70W-90. I have utilized this in numerous differentials with no issues. And I totally agree on the sneaky ways of Motorrad!

Redline.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

Redline has this stuff. I know it is 75W-90 GL5 Hypoid but should be close enough to a 70W-90. I have utilized this in numerous differentials with no issues. And I totally agree on the sneaky ways of Motorrad!

Afternoon  Kashmir

The problem is, the BMW G3 gear oil is a 70W-80 GL-5 not a 70W-90, so 75W-90 GL-5 is a fair bit different.  

If your motorcycle is still under warranty & you have final drive problems then you better be able to prove that you used the correct gear oil viscosity.  

This is what I am hoping for. I have attached a picture of what the BMW stuff is and it clearly states GL-5 and Hypoid. So I am ASSUMING the Redline 75W-90 GL-5 should work just fine. They are both synthetic. I live in Arizona and I run this Redline in other differentials and have never had an issues. 

Oil.PNG

3 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

This is what I am hoping for. I have attached a picture of what the BMW stuff is and it clearly states GL-5 and Hypoid. So I am ASSUMING the Redline 75W-90 GL-5 should work just fine. They are both synthetic. I live in Arizona and I run this Redline in other differentials and have never had an issues. 

Afternoon  Kashmir

It's your motorcycle so if you feel comfortable using the Redline  75W90 GL-5  in place of the BMW specified 70W-80  GL-5 then you don't need our blessing. 

Again, if your motorcycle is still under warranty then using an  incorrect spec gear oil is risky if you have final drive issues.    

5 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

I understand totally about the warranty issue. I guess I should just bite the bullet and shell out the $60!

Afternoon  Kashmir

If you think about how little gear oil is used per each change then that $60.00 isn't that bad per change. 

I have seen the Moper stuff but it is hard to obtain. I see the link to ebay. I appreciate all the input. I have had numerous new bikes and vehicles but BMW seems to be very brand specific. Even worse than my wife's Mini! I was able to obtain Castrol engine oil (and not have to get the BMW $16.50 a quart stuff) for the bike that meets the specifications just having issues with the final drive oil. I will investigate the Mopar stuff further. Thank you all. 

7 minutes ago, Kashmir said:

I have seen the Moper stuff but it is hard to obtain. I see the link to ebay. I appreciate all the input. I have had numerous new bikes and vehicles but BMW seems to be very brand specific. Even worse than my wife's Mini! I was able to obtain Castrol engine oil (and not have to get the BMW $16.50 a quart stuff) for the bike that meets the specifications just having issues with the final drive oil. I will investigate the Mopar stuff further. Thank you all. 

Evening  Kashmir

Here is the official BMW stuff with free shipping (plus in Stock).

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/hypoid-axle-oil-g3/83222413512/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIldDst9bG7AIV0sDACh22QQQHEAQYASABEgI57fD_BwE

It is just a 75W-90 instead of the required 70W-80. Honestly I do not know if it would make a difference. But again if I experience a final drive issue BMW will not warranty. 

I have seen that site. Would save me about $15 from having to get from RideNow Powersports which is my closest dealer. and I will probably go that route. 

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Again, if your motorcycle is still under warranty then using an  incorrect spec gear oil is risky if you have final drive issues.    

A BMW with final drive issues??? Shocking!

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 6:00 PM, Kashmir said:

It is just a 75W-90 instead of the required 70W-80. Honestly I do not know if it would make a difference. But again if I experience a final drive issue BMW will not warranty. 

Will a dealer have the oil analyzed before submitting a warranty claim to BMW?

41 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Will a dealer have the oil analyzed before submitting a warranty claim to BMW?

Evening Larry

Probably not unless they have a reason to doubt the proper gear oil was used.  

If the drive failed before a required final drive gear oil change then a BMW dealer probably wouldn't even bat an eye.  

If it failed after the required first gear oil change then they might ask for a dated receipt showing that proper gear oil was used for the required service.