IGNORED

Winter Storage

Red

In the winter my 2018 is stored in a garage, covered, and plugged into a Battery Tender Junior.  My question is; is it better to keep the Nav VI installed on the bike or remove and take indoors where you have to periodically recharge the unit.  Last year I removed.  However I was not great at timely and regular recharging.  It went totally dead once.  That can't be a good thing.

I always take mine in the house.  I leave it in my drawer until April or so.  I then plug it into a house charger for about an hour and do the spring map updates.  x2 since the wife has a Nav V also.

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

When I'm not using it on my RT I keep mine either in the house or in my one car that doesn't have built in GPS. That's on a year round basis. No GPS battery issues at all.

7 hours ago, Red said:

Last year I removed.  However I was not great at timely and regular recharging.  It went totally dead once.  ...

Me too.  This year I think I will take it off the bike, put a full charge on it, and then remove the battery until spring.

I should add, I don't usually have my NAV V even plugged into the bike unless I'm going on a trip.  I know where I'm going.  I just don't want to lock it up.  So it's in my drawer almost year round.  That way too, I can easily grab it when there are updates.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I only remove my Nav when I'm loading routes into it. So it sits on the bike all winter, in the attached but unheated garage, on a charger. Last year it sat from December to March on a charger, up until then I'd never gone more than about 3 weeks without finding a rideable day. I don't do cold very well any more, so this will happen more often in the future.

On 10/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, 92Merc said:

I should add, I don't usually have my NAV V even plugged into the bike unless I'm going on a trip.  I know where I'm going.  I just don't want to lock it up.  So it's in my drawer almost year round.  That way too, I can easily grab it when there are updates.

Interesting.  If I take my NAV off the bike in Nov and plug it in on April 1 that puppy is dead.

11 hours ago, Red said:

Interesting.  If I take my NAV off the bike in Nov and plug it in on April 1 that puppy is dead.

Mine is too.  I give it about an hour on the USB charging cable before I attempt to power it up for map updates.