IGNORED

New(?) Fuel Pump Recall

AndyInLZ

Not sure if I am the first--or last---to know, but Saturday's mail brought me a fuel pump recall letter from BMW AG.

It is focused on 2005-2011 BMW R1200, K1200/1300/1600 S100RR and HP2 bikes that have already had the fuel pump repaired with a support ring (as I have).

The fuel pump will be replaced for free.

Expect it to take the dealer about an hour.

Recipients are encouraged to call their dealer.

More details at www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall

Note that the Recall Campaign is No. 20V-471: Fuel Pump.

Note also that the BMW recall site indicates that there are no open recalls on my VIN! :ohboy:

My VIN does show up for the recall here: NHTSA.GOV/RECALLS

Edited by AndyInLZ
Add Link

Afternoon AndyInLZ

Yes, some of us have seen it already__ 

https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/522866/Recall-Report-August-2020.htm#:~:text=Fuel pump flange problems are,vengeance in recall 20V-471.&text=The affected motorcycles have a,HP2 Enduro%2C 2006

Below added for future reference as the above link will probably change over time___

FUEL PUMP FLANGE RECALL...AGAIN

Fuel pump flange problems are back with a vengeance in recall 20V-471. You may recall having your motorcycle repaired under recall 13V-617, when a BMW tech put a metal ring around the quick-disconnect housing on the fuel pump flange, which may have been cracked and possibly even leaking fuel.

This is a new recall and affects bikes repaired under the previous recall notice.

According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running."

This recall affects nearly 17,000 motorcycles:

• HP2 Enduro, 2006
  • HP2 Megamoto (incl. US), 2007-09
  • HP2 Sport, 2007-10
  • K 1300 GT, 2009-11
  • K 1300 S, 2009-11
  • K 1600 GT, 2012
  • K 1600 GTL, 2012
  • K 1200 GT, 2005-08
  • K 1200 R, 2005-08
  • K 1200 R Sport, 2005-08
  • K 1200 S, 2005-08
  • R 1200 GS, 2005-11
  • R 1200 GS Adventure, 2005-11
  • R 1200 HP2, 2006-08
  • R 1200 R, 2006-11
  • R 1200 RT, 2005-11
  • R 1200 S, 2006-08
  • R 1200 ST, 2005-08
  • S 1000 RR, 2010-11

BMW will start notifying owners of affected motorcycles of both recalls in early October 2020, and replace the affected parts with updated components.  

Owners may contact BMW Customer Service at 800.525.7417 and check to see if their motorcycle is affected by this recall at NHTSA.GOV/RECALLS.

My 2011 R1200RT's VIN number, when entered into that NHTSA.GOV/RECALLS site, shows as being included in the recall and due a new fuel pump.  I am the 3rd or 4th owner (I bought it in August 2019 with 24k miles, now has 30k miles) and the earlier recall involving the fuel pump was performed on the bike in 2014, with the metal sleeve repair being done, and not the complete fuel pump replacement.  This was confirmed by contacting one of the dealers involved in servicing the bike in the past, with their information provided through service records I received from the previous owner. 

I read the recall notification to mean that all bikes affected are eligible for a new fuel pump, regardless if the previous sleeve repair recall is presently leaking or not. 

About three months ago the bike developed a bad fuel leak and it was from the main supply line plastic quick disconnects on top of the fuel tank leaking.  I replaced them with new SS ones from BeemerBoneyard.  I noticed that the return line quick disconnects  had been replaced with the one plastic/one metal setup, and I think I read somewhere that was part of the earlier fuel pump/metal sleeve repair deal.  I did not replace those at this time as they were not leaking.

I have heard of this pending fuel pump recall but have not seen anything official until now.  My dealer is only about 20 minutes away and I should be able to get the repair done promptly.

Thanks for posting this information.

I had previously checked my VIN for recall under the latest order and it was not due when checking my VIN on the NHTSA recall site. I seemed to recall the previous owner told me when I bought the bike that the pump flange recall was done several years ago but it did not include the fuel pump so tonight I got curious and examined receipt/work order for the job and saw part numbers 16 14 7 680 369 Fuel Pump Assy  & 16 11 7 677 883 Gasket were replaced under warranty three years ago. The repair order says "Inspected and found leaking around metal ring that was installed for recall. Renewed the fuel pump flange" but these part numbers were listed and they correspond to a fuel pump and gasket in the fiche for my VIN. I guess the pump and gasket were replaced during this warranty repair?

I asked about this is the main motorcycle forum here...Oh well...I haven't received it in the mail, but my vin shows it unrepaired for this recall. The problem is I really don't like the local dealers.   I wish they would send me the parts and I would do it. 

I asked my dealer today about this latest fuel pump recall being discussed here,  in which my 2011 R1200RT Camhead (?) appears to be included.

The dealer specifically indicated, based on discussions with BMW and not their opinion I assume,  that the only way a new fuel pump will be approved by BMW is for the current fuel pump system to be leaking now. Even if the metal sleeve recall repair was done in the past, unless that repair is currently leaking and no other fuel pump related leak exists,  then that repair is considered successful and no new fuel pump will be replaced under the recall.  The dealer had a used fuel pump on the desk and indicated how specific BMW will be regarding what constitutes a leak and what does not regarding this latest recall.  Any future leaks associated with this recall would certainly be addressed at that time and would be subjected to the parameters of the recall.  That makes sense. 

As I indicated, my bike had the earlier recall/repair done with the metal sleeve being installed to fix a leak,  and did not have the fuel pump replaced. The leaking quick-disconnects I replaced on the main fuel inlet line into the top of the fuel tank had nothing to do with either of these recalls, as I understand it.

"According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running."

This recall affects nearly 17,000 motorcycles:..."

This information from dirtrider's post above,  especially the verbiage of "...that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running",  seems to me to indicate the main purpose of the latest recall is that BMW wants to get ahead of a potential safety issue and proposes to perform repairs to systems in which those safety issues may develop, based on their repair history.

The way I read this, and I admit I am neither a lawyer nor a BMW dealer,  BMW will proactively replace all fuel pumps on bikes that fall into the specified categories defined by the recall.  I may be reading this wrong.

I think I will let the dust settle and see how approved procedures develop before pressing for a new fuel pump.  My bike is not leaking today and may never leak.  But for BMW to come forth with concerns for potential problems, based again on their repair experience, and when those potential problems involve areas as critical as fuel leaks while the engine is running , makes me think I will keep close tabs on this situation.  

27 minutes ago, NRV-RT said:

I asked my dealer today about this latest fuel pump recall being discussed here,  in which my 2011 R1200RT Camhead (?) appears

to be included. 

The dealer specifically indicated that the only way a new fuel pump will be approved by BMW is for the current fuel pump system to be leaking now. Even if the metal sleeve recall repair was done in the past, unless that repair is currently leaking and no other fuel pump related leak exists,  then that repair is considered successful and no new fuel pump will be replaced under the recall.  The dealer had a used fuel pump on the desk and indicated how specific BMW will be regarding what constitutes a leak and what does not regarding this latest recall.  The dealer did indicate that should a leak develop in the future, in these areas addressed by the recall (s), BMW would probably consider those problems as repairable under the recall (s). That makes sense.

As I indicated, my bike had the earlier recall/repair done with the metal sleeve being installed to fix a leak, which I think was caused by some crack in the plastic top of the fuel tank,  and did not have the fuel pump replaced. The leaking quick-disconnects I replaced on the main fuel inlet line into the top of the fuel tank had nothing to do with either of these recalls, as I understand it.

Bottom line is that my bike in not currently leaking and runs like a top.  I will ride it and if it leaks in the future, I have every confidence BMW will fix it under any applicable recall.  Works for me. :)

That isn't what the notice says. 

"According to the NHTSA recall order issued on 10 August 2020, the recall affects "motorcycles that were repaired under recall 13V-617 with the support ring remedy and where the fuel pump was not replaced at a later date. This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump as applicable. The affected motorcycles have a fuel pump flange that may crack, possibly resulting in a fuel leak while the engine is running."

It doesn't say it has to be currently leaking. 

That is how I read and interpret it.   I did not want to argue with my dealer's service manager, since that person has probably received some guidance from someone associated with BMW.  I have a good relationship with my dealer and intend to maintain it. However, since this recall has just hit the streets, and will probably be received and initially interpreted in various ways, I am going to let the dust settle before pursuing things more aggressively.   It is not a big deal so far, but if I smell fuel or see a wall of flames springing up behind the windscreen, it might become one. :)

6 minutes ago, NRV-RT said:

That is how I read and interpret it.   I did not want to argue with my dealer's service manager, since that person has probably received some guidance from someone associated with BMW.  I have a good relationship with my dealer and intend to maintain it. However, since this recall has just hit the streets, and will probably be received and initially interpreted in various ways, I am going to let the dust settle before pursuing things more aggressively.   It is not a big deal so far, but if I smell fuel or see a wall of flames springing up behind the windscreen, it might become one. :)

I had a leak a couple years ago and it turned out to be the dope they used on the bung in the flange. It dissolved. When I called the dealer that did the original recall, they transferrer me to service, left a VM. I emailed them too, got a call back from sales and asked if I wanted another bike, I said no, I had x problem, ok, transfers me to service, VM again, no call back. I decided to investigate and fixed it myself. That dealer will never get my business.  My guess, based on the wording, your dealer is probably wrong, but who knows. I'll wait a bit to ask questions. Thing is, I didn't buy the bike in this state and I do my own maintenance short of putting tires on the wheels. 

Oh dang! Good thing I saw this post! I see the recall was issued on 10 Aug. and sure enough, my bike has a recall. I never did get a recall notice though.

My last 2007 RT had a fuel leak issue that I had fixed shortly before I t-boned a tractor and totaled it. I guess it was a more common problem than I thought.

You know what's funny? After I posted my comment about not getting a recall notice Sunday night, I checked the mail on Monday afternoon and surprise, surprise... there's my recall notice.... I guess it's time to give ol' A&S Motortcycles a call and schedule an appointment...

Just had my fuel pump replaced by my friendly local dealer.

Along with a set of tires, it took about 2 hours.

Seems BMW has only recently notified dealers of the program......and that pumps will become a scarce commodity soon in the BMW parts chain.

YMMV

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings, I received the recall letter last Friday (I am in Canada). Called the dealer Monday and they picked my bike up today (Thursday) to replace the pump - gotta like that, new pump for a 12 year old bike.

Mike

’08 RT

’04 Ducati ST3

’67 BSA Roadster 441

You're a lucky guy. I had to wait 4 months to get my rear brake flange replaced. I guess they didn't want to do it because I didn't want any other service. This was a well known dealer in the west end of the GTA.