IGNORED

My Ode To The Lowly Moped

moshe_levy

Mopeds... They don't get no respect! No respect, I tell ya! But... they served as the gateway to the motorcycle life for many of us! This is my story of growing up riding and wrenching on mopeds, and how I recently fell back under their spell - my ode to the lowly moped!

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I started on a moped too in the 60's....sure wish I had one now but where I live riding a moped would get you killed.

Isn’t that the whole point though?

mkl

• Like 1

That's no problem. Convert to Judaism, and use the guilt as a motivator to resurrect an old Moped for the betterment of mankind. "Tikkun Olam!"

-MKL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Back when I was racing historic cars at Road Atlanta a few times a year the organizers had to fill an hour slot on Sundays that was designated quiet time from 11am to 12pm because of nearby church services. So we had pit bike races, any participants could enter (drivers, crew, wives, etc.), we'd start at the flag stand race up the (steep) hill to the bridge then turn around and back down. there were bicycles, mini 4 wheelers, and lots of scooters generally 50cc or so.

One year I had a Yamaha RX50 I'd gotten as part of a car deal (the guy couldn't come up with all the money : ) it was a mid size mini bike styled like a cruiser Yamaha made for a few years.

1983 Yamaha RX 50 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL, Daytona Beach FL - - Cycletrader.com |  Motorcycles for sale, Motorcycle, Yamaha

The Brumos Porsche race team were strutting around with their hopped up YSR50 (with a hired gun m/c racer) certain they had this in the bag.  

1988 Yamaha YSR50 for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $5,100 on March 10,  2020 (Lot #28,853) | Bring a Trailer 

When the green fell my little RX zoomed up the hill pulling ahead of the field (mired in a cloud of blue smoke), by the finish I was 20 bike lengths in front of the next rider. Classic David and Goliath, twas a crushing,  humiliating defeat for the mighty Brumos Racing team. :grin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, roadscholar said:

Back when I was racing historic cars at Road Atlanta a few times a year the organizers had to fill an hour slot on Sundays that was designated quiet time from 11am to 12pm because of nearby church services. So we had pit bike races, any participants could enter (drivers, crew, wives, etc.), we'd start at the flag stand race up the (steep) hill to the bridge then turn around and back down. there were bicycles, mini 4 wheelers, and lots of scooters generally 50cc or so.

One year I had a Yamaha RX50 I'd gotten as part of a car deal (the guy couldn't come up with all the money : ) it was a mid size mini bike styled like a cruiser Yamaha made for a few years.

1983 Yamaha RX 50 MIDNIGHT SPECIAL, Daytona Beach FL - - Cycletrader.com |  Motorcycles for sale, Motorcycle, Yamaha

The Brumos Porsche race team were strutting around with their hopped up YSR50 (with a hired gun m/c racer) certain they had this in the bag.  

1988 Yamaha YSR50 for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $5,100 on March 10,  2020 (Lot #28,853) | Bring a Trailer 

When the green fell my little RX zoomed up the hill pulling ahead of the field (mired in a cloud of blue smoke), by the finish I was 20 bike lengths in front of the next rider. Classic David and Goliath, twas a crushing,  humiliating defeat for the mighty Brumos Racing team. :grin:

Love it. Great story.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in my high school years we referred to certain girls as "mopeds"  A lot of fun to ride but you didn't want your friends to see you...   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, old_farmer said:

Today my Facebook popped up an ad for 2 mopeds, $500. Got excited, until I saw "no titles". Damn.

Most mopeds, by now, are at least 30-40 years old. Your chances of finding one with a title are very, very low. So don't let that discourage you. There is a simple, easy way to get around this issue. You register the vehicle in Vermont, which allows mail-in reg, and then take those docs to your state to get a title in your name. See https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Mail_in_Registration

-MKL

• Like 1