IGNORED

Power to Satellite Radio

pbbeck

I did a search but couldn't find this specific item addressed, so I'd like to pick your brains...

What is the proper way to electrify a satellite radio on my 12RT. I just received a Sirius Streamer GT and a mounting bracket from Cyclegadgets.com. Mind you, I have no idea about wiring. I have an apointment with the local dealer to wire it up, but I'd still like to know what to be asking/looking for.

The dealer said they would tap the accessory outlet so the sat radio would have keyed power. How is this done? Since the Streamer came with a car cigarette lighter adapter are they going to cut the lighter end off and splice the loose ends to the outlet circuit on the bike?

If the Sirius GT Streamer is like most other satellite radios, it runs on 6V. That usually means that the cigarette lighter plug has a 12V-6V reducer in it on the assumption that the radio is going to be plugged into a car's cig lighter.

IF this is the case, be sure to let your dealer know that the cig plug cannot be removed because running 12V straight to the radio will fry it. Instead, your dealer can use a female cig socket and run power to THOSE leads, then plug the radio's male cig plug into the that. Voila! Switched 6V power!

chrisolson

Actually, the Sirius streamer gt is a 12 volt system - I have one. Consequently, yes, it can be directly wired into the bike's power by cutting off the adaptor.

Since you are having a dealer do it, the only real question is where you're mounting the radio to ensure that they route the power cord efficiently from the source to where it plugs into the radio and what you do with the antenna and audio out cords.

Actually, the Sirius streamer gt is a 12 volt system - I have one. Consequently, yes, it can be directly wired into the bike's power by cutting off the adaptor.

Since you are having a dealer do it, the only real question is where you're mounting the radio to ensure that they route the power cord efficiently from the source to where it plugs into the radio and what you do with the antenna and audio out cords.

I'm mounting the radio on the clutch lever housing using Cyclegadget's offset mounting bracket. May I ask how your's is set up? Do you have and do's/don't that you can share based on your experience?

I installed my Streamer GT on Saturday. I took the power from the battery, ran the cord so it came up by the front of the glove box and routed it under my BMR co-pilot shelf to the left side where the GT is mounted.

The built in FM transmitter works great as does the built in amp only needed the volume on 2 or 3 bars with Etymotic 6i earphones.

chrisolson
May I ask how your's is set up?
It was on a gadget guy mount used only for the older 1100RT, kinda like a shelf above the dash, but not. As far a do's and don't - not really, its pretty straightforward. You didn't say how you're interfacing with it - via an intercom? - you may or may not need a ground loop isolator. I din't on mine but others have needed it to cut ignition or alternator whine.

Thanks for the info. This forum is THE place for info!

I'll be using an FM antenna adaptor to pipe audio through the factory radio + speakers.

Do you need a FM radio to play the Sirius through? I would like to use a Sirius on My R1200ST. What options do I have? Thanks

Michael

R1200ST

The Streamer GT has an integrated amp, so you could pipe the audio directly to earphones in your helmet.

The Littlefuse "Add-A-Circuit" is also a great option. See my question (answered by others) on R1150R.org.

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=...c&highlight

Very simple solution; and you won't need to splce any wires on the bike, also easy to put back to stock condition.

Of course this only works on bikes which have fuses. So you are SOL on the RT. Thank the canbus system, or curse it, your choice.

Archived