IGNORED

04 Rockster.

Lucky Marino

Lucky Marino

2004 R1150R Rockster.

Coming out of the grocery store, fired her up and ABS warning lights came on not blinking, just steady fail 

Driving home I noticed a few things, no rear braking what's so ever, no brake light and no speedometer?

Once I get home, I noticed the rear brake reserve was empty. Topped it off, still all the same problems still at hand.

A week later I replaced the rear ABS sensor and no results.

Locally (Austin, TX) BMW mechanics are booked solid for minimum of two weeks.

For now does anyone have knowledge of this pickle I'm in?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

PS: my battery is brand new.

IMG_20200925_223458.jpg

Edited by Lucky Marino
Added wrong year model.
5 hours ago, Lucky Marino said:

2004 R1150R Rockster.

Coming out of the grocery store, fired her up and ABS warning lights came on not blinking, just steady fail 

Driving home I noticed a few things, no rear braking what's so ever, no brake light and no speedometer?

Once I get home, I noticed the rear brake reserve was empty. Topped it off, still all the same problems still at hand.

A week later I replaced the rear ABS sensor and no results.

Locally (Austin, TX) BMW mechanics are booked solid for minimum of two weeks.

For now does anyone have knowledge of this pickle I'm in?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

PS: my battery is brand new.

Morning Lucky Marino

You say ABS warning LIGHTS? Your motorcycle should only have one ABS warning light, the other light is the general  warning light. 

Are BOTH the red ABS warning light AND the yellow general warning light lit & on steady? 

If so that tells you that your braking is in residual but doesn't tell you much else so you will need a GS-911 or dealer computer to get usable brake failure code or codes.

There are a few cheaper code readers that work through your cell phone but from my past experience working with riders that  furnished me (those type readers) brake failure codes,  they will provide a failure code or codes,  but they are not always correct codes. 

In any case about all you can do without a valid brake failure code or codes is to verify that your brake switches are operational (they work reverse logic) & verify that the correct power & grounds are going to your ABS module connector.    

Even if your local mechanics are booked you might sweet talk one into at least reading the brake failure codes for you (only takes a minute or so) --  If we have a code or codes to work with we might be able to provide you a starting point to troubleshoot your brake issue. 

Lucky Marino

Thank you Dirtrider for the heads up.

I got to visit a mechanic today. He plugged into the computer.

Due to the ABS unit servo pumping (rear) he couldn't get a fault code of any kind.

Conclusion was that the servo system is shot or the rear brake sensor is malfunctioning.

I'll be testing the rear brake sensor in the morning.

10 hours ago, Lucky Marino said:

Thank you Dirtrider for the heads up.

I got to visit a mechanic today. He plugged into the computer.

Due to the ABS unit servo pumping (rear) he couldn't get a fault code of any kind.

Conclusion was that the servo system is shot or the rear brake sensor is malfunctioning.

I'll be testing the rear brake sensor in the morning.

Morning Lucky Marino

What is the "rear brake sensor"  are you referring to?  If that is the  rear "wheel speed sensor"  then that being failed shouldn't prevent getting a failure code. 

If the rear brake servo is running continuously then possibly the  internal  pressure sensor for the rear circuit has failed (this is not testable).  This is also not repairable at home.  

Is the rear brake pedal switch functioning properly?  

Is your rear brake pedal moving easily then FULLY returning after use? Trapped fluid pressure in the rear control circuit can cause similar issues.