IGNORED

98 r1100rt tires

Blake8098

So based on google search (bike didn’t come with owner’s manual so it’s in the mail) my r1100rt has 18” wheel but the tire on the bike is r17. I’m thinking that means not stock wheel. Can you squeeze a 17” tire on an 18” rim? And the goober who put the tire on there but it on backwards. Would just turn it around but it needs to be replaced. 

No, you can’t mount a tire with a different diameter on the wheel-at least not able to hold air. The standard rear wheel on the 1100RT was the 18” wheel, 17” at the front.  The selection of 18” tires has grown smaller and more limited. The swap to the 17” wheel is a plus, allows you to choose a 17” tire. The options in that size are numerous.

55 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

No, you can’t mount a tire with a different diameter on the wheel-at least not able to hold air. The standard rear wheel on the 1100RT was the 18” wheel, 17” at the front.  The selection of 18” tires has grown smaller and more limited. The swap to the 17” wheel is a plus, allows you to choose a 17” tire. The options in that size are numerous.

Sweet. Thank you

11 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

So based on google search (bike didn’t come with owner’s manual so it’s in the mail) my r1100rt has 18” wheel but the tire on the bike is r17. I’m thinking that means not stock wheel. Can you squeeze a 17” tire on an 18” rim? And the goober who put the tire on there but it on backwards. Would just turn it around but it needs to be replaced. 

Morning Blake8098

What rear wheel does your 1100RT have??????

The stock 1100RT rear wheel was a 3 spoke 18" wheel,  but if your motorcycle has the (rare) optional wire spoke wheels then it will be a 17" rear wheel.

Or, some riders wanted a 17" rear wheel on their 1100RT (for better tire selection) so used a K bike 17" rear wheel on their 1100RT (won't be a 3 spoke wheel though so it will be obvious).

2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Blake8098

What rear wheel does your 1100RT have??????

The stock 1100RT rear wheel was a 3 spoke 18" wheel,  but if your motorcycle has the (rare) optional wire spoke wheels then it will be a 17" rear wheel.

Or, some riders wanted a 17" rear wheel on their 1100RT (for better tire selection) so used a K bike 17" rear wheel on their 1100RT (won't be a 3 spoke wheel though so it will be obvious).

Wheel and tire size

14C3B687-EAB7-49AB-92A1-8BEFF5795944.jpeg

0A8EEA88-45A9-4D34-BCEB-489E44149AFE.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Blake8098 said:

Wheel and tire size

Morning  Blake8098

That is not a stock (3 spoke) 1100RT rear wheel it is  a 17" K-1200 rear wheel, that is also why your 1100RT now takes a 17" rear tire. 

On 10/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning  Blake8098

That is not a stock (3 spoke) 1100RT rear wheel it is  a 17" K-1200 rear wheel, that is also why your 1100RT now takes a 17" rear tire. 

Since this is not stock wheel, would that have anything to do with brakes? I’m about to buy new brakes (which I’m assuming aren’t stock), any ideas for getting the right ones?

7 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

Since this is not stock wheel, would that have anything to do with brakes? I’m about to buy new brakes (which I’m assuming aren’t stock), any ideas for getting the right ones?

Morning   Blake8098

Using a "K" bike rear wheel shouldn't make any difference on brake pad choice. You can still use BMW stock brake pads, or use any number of aftermarket pads that are rated to fit your 1100RT motorcycle. 

10 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

Hard to be certain what Blake meant by this.  DR is correct, buy the pads that fit the 1100RT.  That's because the switch to the K bike wheel didn't change the rear brakes.  The rotor and caliper didn't change.

41 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

Hard to be certain what Blake meant by this.  DR is correct, buy the pads that fit the 1100RT.  That's because the switch to the K bike wheel didn't change the rear brakes.  The rotor and caliper didn't change.

Well done deciphering what I meant. That was it

• Like 1