IGNORED

98 r1100rt neutral only start

Blake8098

44 minutes ago, Blake8098 said:

Is there a way to bypass whatever it is that only allows the bike to start in neutral?

Afternoon Blake8098

Yes, easy way is to just cut the side stand switch wires, then hook them together on the chassis side (this DOES deactivate the entire side stand safety switch though)

If you are willing to do some wiring & soldering to install a relay then there is a relay addition that will still allow the side stand switch to kill the engine with trans in gear & side stand down but WILL allow engine to remain running with trans in neutral with side stand down. 

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Blake8098

Yes, easy way is to just cut the side stand switch wires, then hook them together on the chassis side (this DOES deactivate the entire side stand safety switch though)

If you are willing to do some wiring & soldering to install a relay then there is a relay addition that will still allow the side stand switch to kill the engine with trans in gear & side stand down but WILL allow engine to remain running with trans in neutral with side stand down. 

It will already start and run with the side stand down. I’m trying to be able to start the bike in 1st gear.

It should start in gear if the sidestand is up and the clutch is in. If it won't you have a bad clutch switch. You can cut the wires going to the clutch witch on the handgrip and wire them together.

2 hours ago, Jim Moore said:

It should start in gear if the sidestand is up and the clutch is in. If it won't you have a bad clutch switch. You can cut the wires going to the clutch witch on the handgrip and wire them together.

What else happens if that gets disabled? 

1 hour ago, Blake8098 said:

You accidentally try to restart the bike in gear and don’t pull in the clutch lever and then you launch yourself somewhere you didn’t intend to.

The clutch safety switch is not that difficult to replace. Don’t cut the wires and negate the switch, just fix it.

1 hour ago, Blake8098 said:

Nothing. The bike thinks the clutch is always in so you have to be aware of that.

I prefer cutting the wires to replacing the switch. The switch is unreliable. It's been a problem for 25 years on these bikes. If that switch fails again and you have a neutral switch failure (also not uncommon) at the same time you ain't going nowhere until you do some electrical trickery.

21 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

Nothing. The bike thinks the clutch is always in so you have to be aware of that.

I prefer cutting the wires to replacing the switch. The switch is unreliable. It's been a problem for 25 years on these bikes. If that switch fails again and you have a neutral switch failure (also not uncommon) at the same time you ain't going nowhere until you do some electrical trickery.

Is there an article/video on this? I wanna make sure I cut the right thing

8 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

Not that I know of, but it's pretty obvious. There are two wires in a black sheath. They terminate at the clutch lever housing.  

11 hours ago, Blake8098 said:

Morning  Blake8098

Smaller of the 2 wire pigtails, clutch safety switch sits is a recess.

ruSTlKD.jpg

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Blake8098

Smaller of the 2 wire pigtails, clutch safety switch sits is a recess.

ruSTlKD.jpg

Many thanks