IGNORED

Sidi Strada Tepor Evo: WaterPROOF???

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

My Alpinestars Stage Goretex boots have served me well for 7 years and 110K miles, but they're getting pretty beat up, and I'm looking for a little more armor.

I was just about to order a pair of Sidi Strada Tepor Evo boots from a local shop on Saturday when the salesman pointed out that the catalog entry described the boots as water resistant, rather than waterproof. Usually if a garment is waterproof the mfr will declare it in no uncertain terms, but their use of the term water resistant leaves me with some doubt.

Anyone have first hand experience? Will these things survive a sustained downpour, or are they only good for light drizzle?

Limecreek

Mitch, I owned the non EVO model and never got wet feet. Here is what the New Enough crew says about them:

Paul's Comments: The "Evo" version is the latest enhancement of the Strada Tepor design (and it happens to be my personal favorite for my ST1300). This boot is made for the street rider who wants a boot with good protection features, with a low profile design to make precise shifting possible, but one that isn't quite as flashy as the race models. And to meet the demands of every day street use, the boots are made with Tepor material to make them waterproof, yet breathable (take the detailed pics link above for a graphic on Tepor). With the molded armor pieces on the shin, ankle and heel you have most of the protection features of the race boots, but without the sliders and the bold graphics and colors. These would look great under jeans or if you wear sport pants, with the pant legs tucked in.

RonStewart

I have them. I like them. I put in new insoles and walk a couple of miles a day in them between classes. I have jumped in a couple of puddles with them, but never ridden in serious rain with them on.

I would have gone with the Oxtar Matrix (Matrices?) because I prefer leather, but the Sidis fit better.

Bob Palin

On the main Sidi site (www.motonation.com) Sidi say that the Te-por lined boots are water resistant but that the Sympatex lined boots are 100% waterproof, I can confirm the latter.

Yeah, I've got the Sidi "On Roads" I think they're called, with Sympatex. And NO water gets into them even in downpours. The leather gets damp on the outside, of course, but the feet stay dry.

Just got mine, so can't answer that.

All I can say is a tepor lined boot is not going to be a problem riding IMO (even a naked bike)... unless water is allow to enter from the top, that is.

If you want to walk on foot-deep puddles of water and expect dry feet, that's a different matter; buy the Sympatex in that case. Otherwise you should be fine with any tepor lined boot.

Just a word of caution: better have skinny feet, or they'll be tight. Later.

• 3 months later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Just a word of caution: better have skinny feet, or they'll be tight. Later.
Manna from heaven! I have narrow feet and am right now in the market for boots...read this week. The zipper is toast on my BMW Goretex boots, purchased new in March 1999. I replaced the sole after the first year with a vibram sole and those have lasted just fine. the velcro has been worn out for a year or so, but now the zipper is gone. I went riding on Sunday and kept it closed with electrical tape. blush.gif

I got a pair of Stradas in late June and set out for 2800 miles. Got rained on several times including one 200-mile day that at time approached Biblical proportions, and I always had dry feet.

I guess the real question is -- will they still be dry in year 2 and 3.

I tried the Oxtar's (for the Goretex) since they seem so popular with board members, but felt like I could put both feet in one boot.

-RickP

Archived