IGNORED

A Longish Review of the R1200ST

Mike

While I’m fairly new to the ST ownership experience, I finally have enough miles that I feel I can finally accurately review the bike. I previously rode a ‘99 R1100RT, which I bought new, and purchased the ST a few weeks ago from Tag Sport BMW in Geneva, IL. Here are my impressions:

The first thing that comes to mind is my remarkable transformation from an ST basher to an ST owner. When I saw the photos on line, my reaction was “What in God’s name were they thinking?” dopeslap.gif The ST is, uh, different–it carries its stacked headlights higher than other sport-oriented bikes, and the approach of placing the lights in a position where they are surrounded by the windscreen is pretty unconventional. However, when I saw the ST in person, my previously negative reaction mellowed substantially. Now–and maybe this is just love speaking–I like the way it looks. It’s certainly unconventional, but it’s actually a pretty cohesive design. My theory on why it looks better in person actually has to do with the perspective from which most of the photos are taken, but that’s neither here nor there. My bottom line is that I like the way she looks, and I don’t care what the rest of you think. But, it also taught me a valuable lesson about reserving judgment until I see something in person. Interestingly, the reaction from the twenty-something crowd that rides Gixxers and R1s has been pretty much along the lines of "Holy crap . . . that's awesome!" Not that I should care, I guess. But it's nice, as a geezer, to have some street cred. grin.gif

When I visited Tag Sport, I fully intended to buy a K12S or put down a deposit on a K12GT. But, in looking at the former, I was a little concerned about the lack of luggage capacity. The latter (the GT) takes care of that problem, but I’m a little put off by the price. What really got me interested in the ST was its combination of power, handling, and technology, along with the fact that it was configurable as a passable touring machine. Even better was the fact that BMW was offering some sizable incentives on the ST. In its first year, it did not sell as well as predicted, so I was able to buy the ST at a substantial discount and receive a generous trade-in for my RT. It’s been said before, but I think that some of the resistance to the ST was a result of its price. Configured with sidecases, heated grips, etc., the MSRP approaches the RT, which is a more fully-integrated touring machine, with a bigger fairing and an electric windscreen.

However, as nice as the RT is, it’s not the direction I wanted to go. Been there; done that. My riding is not so much trans-continental as it is trans-state. A blast of a couple hundred miles is more of what I do, but I still wanted to retain the option to tour. So, all of these considerations led me to the ST. Configured with sidecases, luggage rack, topcase, heated grips and a centerstand, the ST still lets me entertain my hard-core big time tourer fantasies, but I can strip off the cases and have a bike that’s perfect for the riding I do 90% of the time.

Settling into the ST’s seat, I found that it was much more comfy than the stock RT’s seat (1100-series, that is). It’s actually good for a couple of hours in the saddle, but I still am not satisfied. Understanding that any manufacturer has to build its seats to accommodate a variety of riders, I’m still befuddled as to why BMW can’t do better. In a few weeks, my seat will get shipped off to Rocky Mayer, and I’m hopeful that I’ll end up with something that’s all-day comfortable. I guess it’s not that big a deal–it seems to be the norm among those who are seeking real comfort. The riding position is, of course, quite a bit different than the RT’s. I was a little concerned about the seat/footpeg relationship, but I haven’t run into any cramping or discomfort. It seems to work well for me. The change to a forward-canted position is a greater adjustment. I’ve read and reread Dick Frantz’s master work on the proper riding position, and I’m still working on it. It does work, but the retraining of my muscles is not yet complete. I still find myself occasionally placing too much weight on the grips, but I’m consciously trying to get it right . . . and it seems to be working. But anyone coming from an RT or a bike with a similarly upright position should be prepared for a few weeks of retraining your brain and your muscles. It’s actually just now starting to feel right, though even as late as yesterday I found myself still experiencing some tingling in my throttle hand.

Once underway, the greater airflow really does help to balance out your riding position. There’s considerably more airflow than with the RT, but I actually like it. For me, it gives me much more of a sensation of riding a motorcycle. Plus, at least on a nice day, it feels great! The most noteworthy thing, though, is that the ST seems to slice through the air much more cleanly than my RT did. Maybe it was just the fact that there was more frontal area and a greater side profile, but I often felt like I was buffeted around quite a bit on the RT. Not so the ST. Even following or passing 18-wheelers, it just barely twitches when hit with a blast of air. Very nice, indeed.

Where I can’t fault the ST is in its power delivery or handling. The first thing that you notice, if you’ve been riding an oilhead, is that the ST (like, I guess, all the hexheads) has a modern transmission, one that shifts cleanly and snicks nicely into gear. Sixth gear gives you a relatively relaxed engine rate at highway speeds and it’s always possible to find the right gear for any situation. The engine is surprisingly powerful. I remember the day I picked up my RT: having just sold an ST1100, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. The new oilhead was pretty ragged, very industrial-feeling, and surged quite a bit. Only after I hit the magic 1,000 mile mark did I understand that I would survive the experience. The hexhead ST was smooth and powerful from the moment I first fired it up. Yep, it’s still a boxer, but it’s remarkably different than the oilhead. I can only imagine that it will continue to get smoother and faster as the miles add up.

The combination of a nice transmission and an engine that feels thoroughly modern are a revelation. Coupled with a power gain of 20 h.p. and a weight reduction of over 100 lbs., compared to the old RT, it’s a remarkably quick machine. Passing other vehicles is almost effortless. And out on the open road, it’s very easy to find yourself riding much faster than the speed you think you’re going.

The handling is also a revelation. The basics of the suspension (Paralever, Telelever) are similar to the RT, so I attribute it largely to the huge reduction in weight. Whatever the case, the ST is much more responsive. I find myself doing less conscious countersteering, and moving the bike around through relatively small shifts in my body position (of course, it is a biiiiig body). The ST’s responsiveness really is altering my riding, in the sense that I’m becoming more acutely aware of how a variety of inputs can alter my track. One of the things I’m learning is that my body’s attitude affects not only the balance of the bike, but also affects windflow enough to generate a perceptible reaction. I still find myself wobbling through curves a little bit–paying too much attention to what the bike’s doing and not enough to what I’m doing–but even so, my comfortable cornering speeds are easily 10 - 15% higher than they were on the RT.

Finally, the brakes. I have BMW’s (in)famous servo-assisted brakes on the ST and I have to say . . . they work pretty damned well. It doesn’t take much of an effort to adjust to them and they provide a remarkable amount of stopping performance. Sure, maybe I’ve almost killed myself a couple of times when I overbraked while traveling at a crawl dopeslap.gif, but I’m getting used to them. It’s actually nice to know that even an amateur like me can generate near-racer levels of stopping performance with just the right hand. The fact that they’re partially integrated allows me to modulate the rear brake in low-speed turns, and the fully-integrated hand activation works so well that I can’t imagine achieving that level of deceleration with a conventional system.

If you can’t tell by now, I really like the ST. It’s a thorough modern, though somewhat unconventional-looking, machine that offers a higher level of dynamics in every area of performance. I miss the RT’s comfort and somewhat laid-back approach, but the ST feels lithe and lively. It’s a real winner . . . and worthy of consideration.

tom collins

congrats. as sheryl crow says "a change will do you good". i moved from the old rs to the old rt and the one thing i regret is that 100 lbs or so weight difference. i have dropped this rt 3 times in the 2 years i have had it and never dropped the rs in 3 years. my next bike will be lighter for sure. enjoy.

tom collins

ericfoerster

I am weak grin.gif

I really like it and have been leaning that way for a while now. The GS just keeps holding on for now, I guess I am just lazy and don't want to get the new bike ready for this season. I went to Ft. Worth BMW about a month ago and sat on the ST and loved it. If a salesman were aggressive enough I'd have been on one blush.gif

Thanks for the review, nudge, and push in that direction. Like I really needed that!

How about some pictures? grin.gif

R4ND0M_AX3

Great. Now you've let out the secret. For the first time in 10 months I saw another ST on the road last weekend. RTs and GSs everywhere. Now you've got everyone excited about MY bike.

thumbsup.gif

Firefight911

Awesome review, Mike!

As Dan said, you have let the cat out of the bag. I agree with your assessment of the bike as a whole. Just wait until you put some more miles on her. She just keeps getting better.

Only shortcoming with mine? Not enough time to ride more! And I am looking at a suspension upgrade. Other than that, LOVE IT!

My wife and I ride two-up quite a bit, almost 1000 miles total last week, and she loves it as well.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your tales! I will get the Mendo trip up soon in the tales arena.

Thanks for the review! thumbsup.gif

Deans BMW

Glad to see that you like your new ST. Mine has over 20,000 miles and has done extensive sport touring. My longest one day ride so far was 900 miles from Kerrville, Texas to home in Show Low, Az. My St has also spent thousands of miles in full on maximum sport riding. In the mountains up here in Arizona or on the famous Hwy 36 in Northern California and all the other roads up there, WFO sport riding all thru Utah and also in the fantastic Texas Hill country, no one and I mean no one on any bike from Gsxr to 999 to you name it has bested the ST. On a track I am 100% sure it would be a different story, but in the real world of mountain and hill country roads nothing is even close especially when the day entails 400 or 500 miles of such riding.

My ST will easily hit in the mid to high 140's even up here at 8,000 ft elevation. My ST has I am sure, hit the rev limiter perhaps 1,000 times or more. In the mountains I often ride with the R's never below 6,000, esp. when playing go-fast with some one.

The headlights at nite are the best of any bike ever ridden. My bike will run at 1,200 to 1,500 RPM happily up and down my unmaintained dirt and rock 3 1/2 mile drive way, even in 4th or 5th gear. I often let the servo motors control the engine RPM in 3rd gear on my driveway. By the way, this is not "lugging" your engine, "lugging" is and only is running at low RPM's with a hi throttle setting. If you find yourself in a hot setting, city traffic on a hot day for example, run at a low pm in a higher gear so as to keep your aircooled engine cooler.

The airflow is the cleanest that I have experienced, no turbulance.

The tranny is Japanese like in its smoothness. I add no oil between changes at 4 to 5,000 mile intervals. Have been using Mobil 1 15/50 Synth since 4,700 miles.

My ST has been absolutely flawless in the year owned. The only mod has been the addition of a full Remus, head pipes and can. The rest of the bike is completely stock.

Welcome to the R1200ST world. I forgot how much fun toys were till I got the ST. I figure it is a miracle I still have 0 pts. I can't get off it. I forget I'm riding a motorcycle; it is more an extension of my body. It pulls to 130 effortlessly, corners on rails, eats up expressway miles, I can get my tent, bag, pad and other stuff all in the bags. and people say it gets 50mpg; my wrist seems to limit it to 40mpg. Can't think of a better bike!

Hi Dean,

From your experience, how much has the after market exhausts from header to muffler change your gas mileage? I’m thinking about doing the same with my ST-but just concerned about gas consumption going down (I’m Getting about 50 to52 mpg commuting to work at 75 to 85 mph). Thanks!

2005 R1200ST

2004 Rockster

I went to Ft. Worth BMW about a month ago and sat on the ST and loved it. If a salesman were aggressive enough I'd have been on one

FWIW, the Ft.Worth store finally sold the ST. (It had been on the floor since last September.) On the other hand, they told me that BMW had moved nine '05 STs over to the "national warehouse" so if you're so inclined, you can pick still pick up an '05.

Thanks for the great review. I'm seriously considering one to replace my 00' K1200RS. Reviews like yours may make me take the plunge.

Bill Murray

Mike, thanks for your review of the ST. I purchased my ST at the end of February '06, and after 2900 fun-filled miles, completely agree with you.

I was looking for a lighter bike, and test rode both the K12S and K12R. Both are fabulous machines with an incredible motor. I concluded the K12S and K12R were more motorcycle than I needed, and that I would likely never come close to tapping into their capabilities.

I moved to the ST from a 2003 K12GT. Absolutely no regrets clap.gif (although I have missed the cruise control, on one or two occasions). I love the larger saddlebags -- no more missing space in one saddlebag due to the exhaust can!).

The stock headlight is excellent, but I have added brake-caliper-mounted Moto-Lights. These have added more night-time lighting and have helped with day conspicuity.

The bike would benefit from an accessory power outlet at the front, as a standard feature. I took a cue from another BMWSportTouring member and installed an accessory power outlet in my left topside fairing panel. I use this as a power source for my RAM-mounted GPS.

The stock windscreen is also excellent. A riding buddy of mine has been urging me to purchase one of the new ZTechnik VStream screens. I am not yet convinced.

I have been considering replacing the stock exhaust with a ZTechnik exhaust. I am unsure whether to settle for a slip-on or a full system replacement. I would welcome feedback from fellow ST riders.

Let's let the secret out about this terrific motorcycle. This will help us gain more aftermarket products and support for this greta bike.

Great review, Mike! thumbsup.gif

So people are starting to see the stacked light at the end of the tunnel as Bry would say tongue.gif

Thanks for the great review. I'm seriously considering one to replace my 00' K1200RS. Reviews like yours may make me take the plunge.

Do it man. Us ST owner's just can't say enough about the bike. I first put eye's on the bike last July. I haven't visited the beamer shop in a couple years prior, and I parked right in front of it, was looking it over thoroughly, I liked the funky headlight, and wanted one ever since I test rode it two days after that. Oh and the 4 other times too that I rode it over the summer. tongue.gif Heck, I even filled it up with gas once near empty, cuz I felt bad for riding it so much grin.gif Finally bought one in October, and as I say time and time again, there isn't anything else I'd rather have in my garage.

Ok ok... maybe there is. A pot of gold, or a money tree, grin.gif

While I’m fairly new to the ST ownership experience, I finally have enough miles that I feel I can finally accurately review the bike.

Mike,

Great review, I know the feelings. smile.gif

Can I use your review on www.r1200st.us? smile.gif

Thanks! You know, in case you say yes. wink.gif

While I’m fairly new to the ST ownership experience, I finally have enough miles that I feel I can finally accurately review the bike.

Mike,

Great review, I know the feelings. smile.gif

Can I use your review on www.r1200st.us? smile.gif

Thanks! You know, in case you say yes. wink.gif

Feel free to use it. Doesn't say much for your editorial standards, though. grin.gif

Firefight911

I had that exact bike model and year! Trust me when I say that you will NOT regret the plunge one bit!!!!!!!!! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

beemerman2k

Two friends of mine and I spent the day at Brown BMW in Pomona, CA testing out the BMW lineup. We rode the R1200ST, R1200GS, R1200RT, K1200S, and K1200LT. At the end of the day, we all voted the R1200ST the bike we'd ride home on if given the choice. The K1200S was kick-butt, but not really in the real world of sub-80mph riding. I really liked the RT as that's my kind of bike, but the ST was just more fun -- especially here in So Cal. Back in MA, the RT would have won my vote because of its superior weather protection. The ST's handling, power, brakes and comfort won us over.

I think most riders would be amazed if they tried the R1200ST. It's no overstatement to say that it's the best BMW and especially opposed twin to ever hit the road thumbsup.gif

Deans BMW

The full Remus, headpipe and can will give you an 4 to 5 RWHP increase, I would recomend the Remus over any other type, also adding just a can only makes it louder and with all of our work on the GS R1200 engine, we found out that no performance gain was found with just a can on the R1200 motors. Besides the Remus never needs repacking.

So people are starting to see the stacked light at the end of the tunnel as Bry would say tongue.gif

Do it man. Us ST owner's just can't say enough about the bike. I first put eye's on the bike last July. I haven't visited the beamer shop in a couple years prior, and I parked right in front of it, was looking it over thoroughly, I liked the funky headlight, and wanted one ever since I test rode it two days after that. Oh and the 4 other times too that I rode it over the summer. tongue.gif Heck, I even filled it up with gas once near empty, cuz I felt bad for riding it so much grin.gif Finally bought one in October, and as I say time and time again, there isn't anything else I'd rather have in my garage.

Ok ok... maybe there is. A pot of gold, or a money tree, grin.gif

I'm going to take a test ride ASAP!

The full Remus, headpipe and can will give you an 4 to 5 RWHP increase, I would recomend the Remus over any other type, also adding just a can only makes it louder and with all of our work on the GS R1200 engine, we found out that no performance gain was found with just a can on the R1200 motors. Besides the Remus never needs repacking.

I have the full Remus Revolution and it smooths things out nicely. I've tried with the baffle out and in and like it better in; quiet in the neighborhood and screamer when you open it up.

You know the ST is really a low key but sublime machine. I have revved the t#$% out of mine, 2nd gear will do 75 mph at 7000+rpms and the more broken in this bike gets the smoother and stronger the motor is. What a revelation. In 4th gear, uphill and lets just say more than 2 digit speed the ST is still pulling. I have 14000+ miles in just over a year and I am only now getting to truly know this bike!

What is with this boxer? I tell you it is sublime and low key, underrated and overlooked on one hand and yet so capable and seductive on another that I really don't know how to adequately describe it.

I try to ride it at maximum available torque and the more I do this the better the engine gets, smoother and stronger yet all the while the chassis is so there and ready. How can this be? I am seduced by this bike in ways I never thought possible. How much better can it get? This is not a rhetorical question, I truly wonder. The magazine articles that are less than flattering, man all I can say is it must not have been a properly broken in boxer, and it must not have been an ST that revealed itself to the pilot. I know this. What a bike!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

sardineone

How much better can it get?

Joining the frey late, first thanks to Mike for the feedback to the board. No disagreement from me on the looks or merits of the ST. It's a great bike. Found out just lately how broad its' capabilities are when I did my first ride two up with the Mrs. In 38 years of riding many brands I have never had a bike even come close to the ride compliance two up of my ST. The same bike that rails the twisties when ridden solo (one reason a GoldWing hasn't been in my garage wink.gif). One qualifier to this very broad band capability and the answer to Hophead's quote is my ST has ESA. thumbsup.gif

BMW if you are listening, make ESA standard on the ST and you'll get much better magazine reviews and sales. dopeslap.gif

sardineone

Forgot my only disagreement with Mike on his ST evaluation. I always liked its' looks. Many I have run into since agree with Mike & I now. tongue.gif

russell_bynum

BMW if you are listening, make ESA standard on the ST and you'll get much better magazine reviews and sales.

Even better, offer Ohlins as an options from the factory like many of the other manufacturers do on their bikes. (Ducati, Aprilia, Yamaha, etc)

R4ND0M_AX3
BMW if you are listening, make ESA standard on the ST and you'll get much better magazine reviews and sales.

Even better, offer Ohlins as an options from the factory like many of the other manufacturers do on their bikes. (Ducati, Aprilia, Yamaha, etc)

Even better. Offer the ohlins/wilbers with ESA type preset adjustment capability. While your at it throw in the RT cruise control.

PS. city lids please. smile.gif

Nice review Mike.

I'll second the request for city lids. I've been commuting down to the hospital in Oakland every day this week and lane splitting with those big cases isn't my idea of a good time.

I now commute with a tailbag strapped to the rear seat instead of the saddlebags and can feel a real lightening of the bike in side to side transions. Next weekend when I go to Deal's Gap I will try to fit everything into the BMW tankbag and my tailbag to try keep it light. wink.gif

I don't know if I should bother, the ST handles better than my RS ever did. grin.gif

Mike, and others who moved from an RT to the ST, can you comment on any noticeable difference in low-speed (parking lot, driveway, etc.) handling? Does the bike feel noticeably less top heavy than the RT?

I rode both one right after the other and the RT is more top heavy than the ST at low speeds. I rode the RT than the ST, and the ST felt stupidly easy to ride after riding the RT. The RT of course being a great bike, I opted for the more sporty side smile.gif

steveknapp

Mike, at the Buell factory visit I did last weekend there was one guy on an ST. It's been growing on me. Nice to know there is another member of the "weight watchers" RT club. smile.gif

Even better. Offer the ohlins/wilbers with ESA type preset adjustment capability.

Like Yamaha does on their snowmobiles? grin.gif

pipenslippers

I traded my K1200RS for an ST in March and I am now changing to a K1200GT. The ST was a fantastic, comfy sportsbike for me on my own, but was not good when my wife was on the back (80% of the time). She is a fair bit heavier than me, and the weight distribution upset the handling badly. The bike responded more to her moves than it did to mine. This was not a problem with a light pillion, and I still think the ST is a fantastic ride. It handles (with just me on) better than all my previous bikes, which include VFR's and an R1100S. Fuel consumption and looks are great, power is plenty and brakes are phenomenal.

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaaaack! grin.gif Having just put 3,000 miles on the ST, to, from, and at the UnRally, I thought I'd add a few more impressions.

At this point, I've fully adjusted to the ST's riding position, which turns out to be downright comfy. The handlebar/seat/pegs relationship works pretty well for me with the seat in the highest position, at least now that I've mastered Master Yoda's Riding Position. I actually did well on the highway, racking up two unofficial SS1000's to and from Colorado. However, the weakness remains one that most BMW riders will recognize--the seat. It has softened and gotten more comfortable, but it remains too narrow and doesn't allow your weight to be fully dispersed over a wide seating area. Frankly, it ended up being fairly painful. frown.gif An Alaskan Leather pad helps quite a bit, but it also amplifies the tendency to slide forward into the tank, so it's not a cure-all.

So, that's the bad news . . . and something I hope will be remedied by Rick Mayer. The good news is that most everything else works very well. The transmission engages smoothy and accurately, and the engine is astonishingly better than my old R1100RT's. It's got a wide, flat torque curve and you can really rocket out of the corners (rocketing for a boxer, that is). Handling is extremely accurate, and extreme-for-a-geezer cornering speeds are easy to attain. Really, I remain astonished that I have yet to find myself in a situation with the ST where I feel like I've asked it to do more than its capable of doing. It's a more capable partner than I am. And, surprisingly, the suspension is pretty plush.

Apart from the seat, there's one thing that impacts on touring: you end up with a ton of bugs smashing into your faceshield. Positioning the stock windscreen up or down doesn't seem to have any impact, except that my torso is better protected if the windscreen's fully up. However, I'm loathe to experiment with aftermarket products; the aerodynamics are so good--almost completely free of turbulence and crosswind sensitivity--that I hate to take a chance with screwing things up.

The little things tend to work pretty well. Two significant annoyances are the inaccuracy of the speedometer, which reads about 6 m.p.h. high at 75 m.p.h. and a fuel gauge that takes a whole lot of experience to figure out (remains "full" for a long time, then drops precipitously, finally starting its "countdown to zero" about 40 miles too early). Also, the mirrors, while well-positioned, tend to vibrate a fair amount. But the switchgear is excellent, the saddlebags work well, and the stock headlights really illuminate the road. The saddlebags--like the new RT's--are more spacious than the old System cases, but not as large as you might think from looking at the exterior dimensions (they're a double-wall design).

I've had zero mechanical problems with the ST, other than one that was likely caused by operator error. My battery crapped out on me in Gunnison, and in trying to wire in a couple of ring connectors so I could hook up a portable charger, I found that I had a loose battery terminal connection (positive). As a result, it appears that I had run my battery down a couple of times and caused it to crap out. A replacement BikeMaster battery, which I got at the local YamaZukiLaris dealer in Gunnison, seems to have been all I needed. Again, not the bike's fault . . . likely something I screwed up when I was adding accessories. dopeslap.gif

So, overall, the ST has been great. I've lost some weather protection and the seat . . . well, the seat sucks . . . but it's an astonishingly good motorcycle, one that tilts significantly more toward the "sport" side of the sport-touring equation than my RT, but which retains the ability to chew up a lot of miles.

And it sure is pretty . . .

IMG_1640.jpg

The only way I've been able to tolerate the seat is by putting

the front in the high position and the rear in the low position. with this I would not have been able to put the 22,000 miles on it that I have.

duckbubbles

I've had my ST for 15 months and 12,500 miles. Great bike and easy to adapt to since I am a sporty bike fan. I agree that the seat is my main limiting factor in riding the thing. I've run the fuel out to just over 300 miles, but can't stay on it near that long.

Personal story: I test rode the first ST the dealer had, liked it fine, but was waiting for the K12S. Test rode the K and put down the deposit to get on the waiting list. Was going to be 3 months. Another ST came in, Dark Graphite/Red. I had told mysellf that I didn't want another red bike, but I was hooked. Made the deal on the ST.

I had had second thoughts in the ensuing months and got to ride a friend's K12S about 8 months later. We traded and rode about 60 miles. The K sure was fast and powerful, but I wasn't that thrilled with the handling. We traded back and my ST felt like Rickey Roadracer compared to the K. Light and flickable. In the real world, it's not all that much slower, either. I made the right choice!

I am to receive some Wilbers shocks later this week and that should spruce up the handling some more. I can tell that the shocks have given up a little, especially the rear.

All in all, this is a great, overlooked, underappreciated bike that the comic book mags never even did a test on. Well kept secret, that can affect the aftermarket. People aren't doing much with the ST for footpegs, etc. I'm sending the seat to Sargent real soon, so that should finish the bike for me.

Frank

Jim VonBaden

I posted a ride reporst over a year ago about the R1200ST. I loved it then, and said so, though I was quite unpopular in it's defense and promotion as a great bike.

See the report here.

Since then I purchased an R1200GS and have really bonded with it. I love my GS as it has many of the attributes that Mike described for the 12ST.

Then, a few weeks ago, my GF and I went to NH and picked up a very gently used, by the NJ BMW Warehouse as a demo bike, 05 R1200ST with only 900 miles on it. We got a great deal at $12,000 OTD. On the ride home I discovered that I may have made a mistake in buying the GS, as the 12ST is still my favorite bike of all time.

Sweet ride, great looks, excellent handling, great power, and an overall fine bike. I only was able to convince my GF to let me ride about 150 miles, but WOW!

Those of you, like Mike, who jumped in with disparaging comments really should take another look at this fine bike, but this time from the rider's seat!

st-right-side.jpg

Side-shot-second-stop.jpg

st-and-gs-first-sunset3.jpg

No doubt it is BMW's sleeper bike. Thank doG they are going to keep making them despite poor sales in the US!

Jim cool.gif

Jim,

that bike rocks thumbsup.gif

I wish I had enough money buy another ST, and store it. That way I'll ave it in another 20 years after 250,000 miles for when my current ST dies.

Well, one can hope it goes that far anyway smile.gif

Side-shot-second-stop.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics for me. This is my favorite picture!! I have to admit - when Jim first pointed out the ST - I loved it but just wasn't sure that I needed a new bike - I really liked my K75S THEN I test rode one!!! I couldn't buy one fast enough!!! I test rode one at a dealers on Wednesday and by Thursday, I was calling the bank and doing paperwork and by Saturday - we were on the GS headed to NH to pick up my new bike!!!! I absolutely love it - That was the beginning of June and I nearly have 2000 miles on it and I LOVE IT!!! clap.gif

Ride Safe!

Tina

ps - DON'T EVER EVER EVER!!! Ride 500+ miles on the back of a GS in one day!!! crazy.gif

• 10 months later...

Mike, I got a chance to ride one today. Not real long (40 miles), and not through anything extreme, but it was fun. Gearing is tall and there's not a ton of seat/peg clearance, but it's a great bike. The handlebar riding position is superb.

My main impression is in the handling. It's very mechanical, and not at all like the former RS. This feels devoid of that "rubber bushings in the steering linkage" sense I used to get. Initiate steering, and it's firm, direct, and responsive. Release inside bar pressure when desired lean angle is reached and bike is rock stable and tracks true and balanced.

Last year the ST and a Triumph Sprint ST were my final two picks. I chose the Sprint and have enjoyed 9 months and 9K. But, after a 2K ride in the northeast, I can't get over having to lube a chain every night in the parking lot of hotels. It seems technology has progressed to the point you should not have to do that. I am now looking to get back to BMW and the great shaft drive.

Are all of you still in love with your bikes or have you moved on to other bikes? (This post is about a year old.)

Jim VonBaden

My GF has 18K on hers, and still loves it! Very reliable, and still a blast to ride!

Tina-1.jpg

Tina-2.jpg

Cape Fear Rally this year.

Jim cool.gif

David--

Good to hear that you were able to snag a few miles on the ST. The ST continues to be a rewarding ride for me, a year after taking delivery. The seat/peg relationship did cause me some concern initially, since on my RT I occasionally experienced leg cramps that were not fun. I attributed that to the angle at which my legs were bent. However, for whatever reason, I haven't had that problem on the ST.

As you've noted,the greatest attribute of the ST, apart from its stunning good looks (wink.gif), is the handling. I find it very precise and predictable, and stable to the point that I occasionally wonder what I'm missing. I've done some fairly long days in the saddle on the ST and have found that it's also a pretty competent mile-muncher. The only deficiency in that regard is the windscreen-while it manages windflow well, the stock screen directs the bugs directly into my faceshield. It may sound trivial, but it's a significant enough problem that I feel as though I'm going to have to start exploring aftermarket alternatives.

Overall though, I'm very happy with the ST. It's exactly what I wanted when I moved on from the RT--a bike that's a better back roads partner that still maintains a significant amount of the touring capabilities of the RT.

Yeah, personally I think it's a beautiful bike in every regard. But it's fun to tweak ST owners, who seem to be a very defensive bunch about the looks. smile.gif

Yeah, personally I think it's a beautiful bike in every regard. But it's fun to tweak ST owners, who seem to be a very defensive bunch about the looks. smile.gif

We know it's just headlight envy! grin.gif

Jim VonBaden

We know it's just headlight envy! grin.gif

lmao.gif

Jim cool.gif

Archived