IGNORED

Torrey check in .....Fresh Meat and Old Friends

Dennis Andress

Got home about 4:00 yesterday. A fun ride home behind a bunch of RTs and GSs even though, or maybe because, I'd unknowingly put my bike in rain mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got home at 3:30.  A really, really great outing!  It was really great to see old friends.  Nice meeting you Ian.  I forgot your friend's name.  Didn't get much of a chance to talk to him.

Thanks for the great riding advice Whip.  I'll look into the bike we discussed.

Enjoyed seeing everyone, even though I prolly missed a few... Got home last night late- Guess I need to update my tow vehicle to something that does current freeway speeds as opposed to the "55 stay alive" era.. Had fun riding some of the trails in the SxS......

Home at 1:30 pm after waving "bye" to the other "suspects" one by one.

It was a wonderful weekend, that I really needed, plus I met (yet) another Don! (thanks again for lunch!)

It was great getting to know you better Dennis. I look forward to riding with you again.

Heck, I'm sorry I missed you. I heard you were there, but never did see you. Next time...

I forgot how beautiful Utah is. I won't wait so long to do it again.

A few pics from a cheap camera:

DSCF1617.JPG

DSCF1713.JPG

DSCF1759.JPG

• Like 2

In by 1........whatta weekend!

My first Torrey trip, and now I fully understand the attraction to the place......

And learned how to lane split on the fwy from a motor cop once back in Cal!

Great time, thanks guys!

F7D3099B-0CE7-48CB-94E6-911B49617BFF.jpeg

A89AF9C5-8D9F-4C07-A0E6-C242405D9C2F.jpeg

• Like 6

In at five thirty. I made it from Mesquite to home on 1 tank of gas. 384mi going thru north shore to avoid Vegas. Thanks to Stir, Josh and Neil for keeping an eye out for me on Burr Trail. Much Grass!

For those Torrey noobs who didn’t  find the time to get to Burr Trail this time, this is what it looked like on Sat:  

214ACF5C-D66D-4213-8A01-9C41BDE4483D.jpeg.6fc19ff1e5ff9eec941ae0716ab4a595.jpeg

I found a little oasis fed by a mountain spring between Overton and Henderson. A small patch of green among the tens of thousands of square miles of dry desert landscape. Amazing.  Water flows out of it at 400gpm and I assume it eventually makes it to lake mead  F781DFC3-2A84-4290-BA39-E5C5847C7C56.jpeg.3e5d8cc2f7c1bfe94c4d2fceb75ebf49.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Home Monday afternoon. Plug held all the way without a leak, in fact I'm probably not going to replace the tire until before DVD. It was good to see those that I did see, if very briefly. :(

torrey.thumb.png.7571d379dd8766434a939a14c9f0424f.png

Cedar Breaks with turning leaves.

DSC07261.thumb.jpg.16c518f4a55ae47e736cc7ebc764f1d5.jpg

Did not get abducted. Chili dog was good though.

DSC07341.thumb.jpg.5a22cce1dba745c5d236b2a59d6051c0.jpg

Smoky in Yosemite. Rode through a smoldering fire for a few miles up on Tioga.

DSC07369.thumb.jpg.0bddb3e93b1c270f45ee46da4c777c53.jpg

• Like 2

Super fun time - as always.  Already planning for next year!  The new guys, representing the new generation are hooked!

The wind storm between Raton and Dumas was severe - perfect riding conditions. :-)  At least you couldn't see the airborne projectiles streaking pass your helmet in the dark.

See you all next time.

My first Torrey was a great ride. Thanks to Mr.Duck  Carl Williams ,Groanup, Eddd, Long John, Brian T, and Szurszewski. Glad we had decent weather And hope everyone gets home safely.

P1010504.JPG

fullsizeoutput_754.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_74c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_74e.jpeg

P1010459.JPG

P1010464.JPG

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, mrduck said:

Great hanging out with ya...........but how the heck did ya take this pic?

He ponied up for the BMW self following drone option.

• Haha 3

Great reports and photos guys!  Thanks for the virtual visit.  And just have to say -- how could it be a Torrey without a flat tire??  Want to do this again soon.

Wow, these pictures are amazing. You guys are studs!

I'd love to go on one of these, but as a beginner rider I'm a little nervous about doing such a long ride from San Diego.

Maybe I should grow a pair and do it. :rofl:

26 minutes ago, West_Coaster said:

I'd love to go on one of these, but as a beginner rider I'm a little nervous about doing such a long ride from San Diego.

You’ve got a sport touring bike. Let it stretch it’s legs. Next up is Death Valley Daze in nov., with a Thursday night in Kernville. Come on down!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

Riding to Utah or up to Death Valley isn’t any more complicated than riding around San Diego - the big thing is to not try to get a ton of miles per day until you figure out what is comfortable for you. You definitely do not want to mess around with riding fatigued - not safe and no fun. Ideally, when you’ve got three of four days, pick a direction and ride and see how far you get, then get a room for the night before you’re not enjoying it anymore. Repeat and repeat on the way home. 

• Like 1

West coaster - Do come join us for DVD. It's a worthy gathering and not too far from you. There's a so-cal contingent you could probably hook up with. Szur'z suggestions are great. We were all noobs once. There are certainly some learnings from trips like these that we'll all share (ear lube, plug kits, seamless base layers, electrolytes, good bourbon to share, etc etc)... Just be prepared for the weather - the coldest I've ever felt, ever, was on my first DVD going over the pass before I owned an electric liner. :) 

8 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

You'll be fine as long as you've done some day rides first.  Come out and play.  My first trip out of town was Las Vegas from the L.A. area.  MY second trip a month later was with the same group to the first Torrey.  I had no gear and no experience and loved every minute of it.  Just ride your ride within your comfort zone and you'll be fine.  DVD in Nov would be an easy one for you to get your feet wet and all are welcome to join.

There's plenty of info on this website or the net in general on planning to do a roadtrip.  Basically, stay hydrated, know your gas range so you can fuel before its too late and take some breaks along the way until you find your comfort range for stops.

West_Coaster

DVD is definatly tempting, my biggest hangup is riding the 15 for so long with the people trying to get to Vegas. I guess I should find someone else who's going from my area and see how they get there. Maybe they have a better route. I know my wife and I would have a ball, we love getting away to see the sights. 

How do you find other peeps that are local and going?

1 hour ago, West_Coaster said:

DVD is definatly tempting, my biggest hangup is riding the 15 for so long with the people trying to get to Vegas. I guess I should find someone else who's going from my area and see how they get there. Maybe they have a better route. I know my wife and I would have a ball, we love getting away to see the sights. 

How do you find other peeps that are local and going?

You could take 15 to 127 then to Beatty but some here like to take the long way. As I said above some stay the night in kernville on Thur then head up and over the sierras on Sherman pass to get to Beatty nv. On Friday.  One year I took the long way to kernville and 4 others on 3 bikes (1 from upland and three from the sd area) met me near lax and we headed to the Malibu hills, then moorpark Santa Paula ojai and then Maricopa before the final leg to kernville. It was a long day but there were lots of good roads. I think we left lax about  930-10am.  There will be plenty of info at the dvd link on the home page. 

West_coaster there’s a couple of gentleman kinda down your way in the San Marcos area, Bill Walker and Bigfish that usually show up in DV.....always good to have someone along for the ride. 

Come on out, You will have a good time!

West_Coaster

Since I have only had my bike 1 month and I've not ridden with a passenger yet, I'm going to pass on DVD next month. From watching the videos you guys post, I'd be riding a little past my comfort zone at my current skill level and don't want to slow the herd down or cause a problem. "A mans gotta know his limitations."

I am going to make plans to do the next Torrey run in spring. I'll make it a goal to do a few long overnighters to get prepped and read up on what gear I would need. I like research.

I plan to give my wife her first ride on the RT this Sunday, she's not been a passenger since we were dating some 35 years ago. I want to retire in a few years and plan on making riding one of our pass times exploring the US. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on getting back into riding! Some long solo day trips will get you into the swing of longer multi day trips. Pick a destination 2 to 3 (longer as you get more rides in) hours away and head out. Going solo, you will ride a little faster, stop less, and keep thinking about getting there. When you start riding longer trips with a passenger, you will need to slow down a bit, stop more often, and worry more about her comfort and both of your safety. Comfort comes into the safety play, so once you start to feel a little uncomfortable, it is time to look for a stop, either for a break, or for lodging. Pick realistic mileage and time goals. Mine was to always have found lodging by about 5 or 6 pm. This leaves time so you are not riding in the dark, or even sunset hopefully, and also leaves time to find alternate lodging if the first place doesn't work out. (We usually don't make reservations until underway, except for the final destination.)

Good luck with your first ride with your wife, it will be a little nerve wracking for both of you at first, and hopefully awesome by the time you finish. Don't overdo the first ride, an hour might be plenty, but could be 20 minutes, or most of a day. Be flexible.

Riding gear will be a whole other discussion...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, West_Coaster said:

From watching the videos you guys post, I'd be riding a little past my comfort zone at my current skill level and don't want to slow the herd down or cause a problem.

Not trying to talk you into anything, but I want to clarify the beauty of the group here: there are not any organized rides at any events/gatherings/meetups - not even the UnRally; the closest you’ll find is maybe some routes passed around either by gps track or printed maps. Generally people get together in the evening and morning and talk about where they want to go and make loose plans to go places with random other riders. There are no “rules” or ride captains or anything like that. Everyone rides their own ride, and that’s that. If you’re slow, and I am slow, no one is going to be bothered by that - ride in the back, or be courteous about letting others pass - if you don’t want to have folks wait for you, before you set out, say - hey, I’m slow. I’ll ride in the back and I know my way home, so don’t slow down for me. Alternatively, if you’d like to explore with someone else but want to keep a slow pace, say that - hey, I want to go on route/road XYZ and take it slow, anybody up for that? Chances are good you’ll find a riding buddy who is ok with that. 

This is the least judgmental, most accepting “you be you - ride what you ride however you ride” motorcycle group you are likely to find anywhere. People ride thousands of miles to be at events, others pull their bikes on trailers, and some just show up in a car - it’s all ok.  

So, like I said, I’m not trying to talk you into this next DVD - it’s coming up soon and you’re probably wise to want to build more miles first especially if you’ll be going 2-up; I’m just trying to paint a picture of what you’ll find, at whatever event, when you do roll in to one :)

• Like 5
West_Coaster

Guys, I want to say thanks, this is exactly the type of forum and group of people I want to ride with and I appreciate the responses and advice.

I think about riding (and sex, and beer, and food) all day while I should be working, and planning a big trip is what keeps me going. I'll meet you all in person at some point and the first round is on me.

A lot of the guys on here have day jobs, and yet seem to find time to post quite a bit during the day, so want do you think they (I) think about all day too? It's an obsession that gets under our skin and won't stop pestering. Welcome to the club.

Sex, beer, and food is ok too! Did someone say beer? I think I will!

I can't show up yet on the rides, no BMW yet, just old loud Harleys, and I tend to not ride slow and in back. I stay away out of respect. But an RT is on my list. Such a sweet bike!

3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

A lot of the guys on here have day jobs, and yet seem to find time to post quite a bit during the day, so want do you think they (I) think about all day too? It's an obsession that gets under our skin and won't stop pestering. Welcome to the club.

Sex, beer, and food is ok too! Did someone say beer? I think I will!

I can't show up yet on the rides, no BMW yet, just old loud Harleys, and I tend to not ride slow and in back. I stay away out of respect. But an RT is on my list. Such a sweet bike!

They still let me in on my cross-plane Yamaha so you're probably good.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Hosstage said:

can't show up yet on the rides, no BMW yet, just old loud Harleys, and I tend to not ride slow and in back. I stay away out of respect. But an RT is on my list. Such a sweet bike!

Any and all bikes welcome. I ride an old, loud BMW slowly and no one has complained yet. ...might help that I ride in back....

• Like 2
On 10/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, Hosstage said:

I can't show up yet on the rides, no BMW yet, just old loud Harleys

You wouldn't be the first Harley at one of our events, by a long shot.  Plus we've had people on Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis (I did Torrey on my V-Strom once), Kawasakis, Aprilias, Guzzis, Triumphs, Ducatis, Buells, and Can-Ams.  Some guests, some regular members who've switched rides.  Ride what you got.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, Hosstage said:

Well I may just have to show up at one of these events!

I will say, though, that your statement of "I tend to not ride slow and in back." might be in for some adjustment, depending on what riders you go riding with at our events.  I used to have a Road King, which I had intended to be my "take it easy and smell the roses" bike.  After a lot of scraping of floorboards even though I was hanging off, to the extent possible with those ergos, I realized I just wasn't a "take it easy and smell the roses" rider, and replaced it with an R1150RT.  No way a Harley is keeping up with some of our BMW riders in the twisties.  Or on the straights, for that matter, if it's stock.  And even if modified, not for all that long.  How long can you cruise at 95-100?  BMWs can do it all day long.  I think I managed to get my Road King up to 100 indicated once, running downhill to the east from Scotty's Castle.

I'm not trying to be a brand snob here.  I'm just stating facts based on my experience, and I want you to know what to expect.  But there's almost always a slower "smell the roses" ride at our events, and you might find you want to start out with that group and see how it goes.  

In any event, don't let the above stop you from attending.  You'll be welcome.

Thanks, I know I have no chance of keeping up in the twisties, and would be working the old girl pretty hard to keep up at extended hiway speeds. But BMW riders are some of the safest, so I'm sure exceeding the posted speeds would not be a thing.....

I have a feeling that not too many would hang around me very long having to listen to the ThunderHeader hurting eardrums, even with earplugs and a helmet! That's my biggest concern, trying not to offend fellow riders. (Not really sure how I haven't been ticketed for it yet in 20 years.)

About the closest event would be the Driftless gathering, don't tell them I might drop in next year just to say hi!

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...