IGNORED

Phone charging issue

Skywagon

2014RT

I have the factory set up.  I have the special little cable that plugs in the right hand box and connects to my Iphone (see pic below).  It's worked fine for several years.  The last two rides my phone is not charging and after about 3 hours of Pandora or anything else it is down to about 50%.

I tested the factory usb cable and I'm getting 5v as I'm supposed to.  I wiggled it around as much as I could and no shorts were detected...always 5v exactly on DVM

I hooked up the adapter and the lightning cable is testing 5v.  I've checked the iphone on several chargers and it always charges fine whether in the house, car, etc.

Kind of running out of ideas.  Has anybody run into this issue?  I suspect it is the adapter being flaky.  I dont really want to spend another $100 to find out.

For grins I tried to find the BMW cable in the box on fiche and couldn't really find it.  I'm not sure if it is part of the cradle or something else.

Help appreciated.

31NOhguNKDL._AC_.jpg

I don’t know why, but I kill lightning cables - the cheap ones faster than the Apple certified ones, but all of them faster than anyone I know. Mine seem to burn out one of the contacts on the cable - maybe it’s something in the port on my particular phone. How do your contacts look?

• Like 1

The phone works great and will charge on anything anywhere except the adapter above.  It use to charge on it just find but not won't.  The Iphone actually shows its charging but its not.  It slowly discharges.  I thought it might be the case...even though the same case has been on it for years.  I took the case off, hooked it all up....still discharging.

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

The phone works great and will charge on anything anywhere except the adapter above.  It use to charge on it just find but not won't.  The Iphone actually shows its charging but its not.  It slowly discharges.  I thought it might be the case...even though the same case has been on it for years.  I took the case off, hooked it all up....still discharging.

The symbol on the phone doesn't necessarily mean it is charging. It means the phone detects external power, and while it may see 5V, it may not be receiving enough current to keep up with everything the phone is doing, so the battery will eventually drain. If it used to keep up, I'd guess that the tiny contacts on the lightning connector have likely developed some corrosion and are not conducting current as well as they used to. If you can see corrosion on the contacts, you may be able to remove it using contact cleaner, etc.

• Like 1

Is that cord intended to be a charger or just an interface with the audio system? I have a similar cable on my 2013 and it doesn't charge enough to keep up with screen usage. I installed a separate waterproof USB port wired directly to the battery (through a fuse of course) and problem solved. 

The cord in my picture does a few things.  It interfaces with the goofy BMW system to allow connectivity of your phone, gps, and Sena system to work seamlessly.  There is no other way that I am aware of that allows that to happen.  When it is working correctly I can use the full function of the iphone through the Sena system...e.g. make calls, use text, any thing on the phone will come through headset.  Additionally it interfaces with the Nav V and you can do anything except adjust volume.  It interfaces with the BMW system so I can listen to any function e.g. satellite, am/fm, weather, etc.  It gives you full functionality of your BMW system and your phone through your Sena.  It has all worked great until the last two rides.  The last two rides have resulted in the Iphone battery being discharged and not properly recharged. 

One additional test tonight.  I took the media cable picture above and plugged it into home charger.  I started everything I could on the Iphone to draw hard on the battery.  The unit would not charge fully.  It slowly lost battery power over a couple of hours.  I am reasonably sure it is that media unit cord.  I wrote them and asked them if warrantied.  It is but only 2 years so SOL.  Not sure if I will get another one or not.  I love having full function on the SENA but hate spending $100 every 3 years or so..

Come on BMW and SENA.  Get together and make this much more simple.  Same issue with BMW car.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Skywagon said:

The cord in my picture does a few things.  It interfaces with the goofy BMW system to allow connectivity of your phone, gps, and Sena system to work seamlessly.  ...

We all have our preferred ways to use our stuff, and I understand reticence to change.  I have the same set of stuff: phone, Nav, sat radio, helmet audio.  I have found that I can connect everything wirelessly.  My Cardo system will accept Siri commands or its own Cardo voice commands.  I can interact with my Nav via the touch screen or the handlebar controls.  My phone battery lasts for more than a day of riding, but I carry a recharging pack in case I need it, and I can boost the charge at a gas stop if necessary.

In any case, you have options other than buying a proprietary dongle.  Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Cap

Cap..  I hate the dongle. I hate the entire set up as entirely ancient. If you can describe your solution I along with many others on this site would be thankful to try it. Just so I can make sure I’m clear on the functions:

Headset - don’t care whose but currently 20sevo

Nav v in factory mount

BMW audio system including satellite am fm wx and usb

Iphone 7

When all is in sync I can make and receive calls via the Nav v. The phone charges. All audio works in headset selectable with the wonder wheel. I can intercom up to 8 other riders

I would be thrilled for a simpler solution. Here is a video on how most of us have used to make it work ok

6 hours ago, Cap said:

We all have our preferred ways to use our stuff, and I understand reticence to change.  I have the same set of stuff: phone, Nav, sat radio, helmet audio.  I have found that I can connect everything wirelessly.  My Cardo system will accept Siri commands or its own Cardo voice commands.  I can interact with my Nav via the touch screen or the handlebar controls.  My phone battery lasts for more than a day of riding, but I carry a recharging pack in case I need it, and I can boost the charge at a gas stop if necessary.

In any case, you have options other than buying a proprietary dongle.  Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Cap

^^^ This ^^^

I do everything the OP mentioned using only my phone and my Cardo via bluetooth. Using my self-installed charge port, my phone stays at 100% all the time.

Thanks Pappy. Can you share how you have things liked e.g cell bluetooth to gps, gps Bluetooth to Cardo, cardo to gps...  i want to try what you have working. I already have a hot circuit I can use for the phone.

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks Pappy. Can you share how you have things liked e.g cell bluetooth to gps, gps Bluetooth to Cardo, cardo to gps...  i want to try what you have working. I already have a hot circuit I can use for the phone.

I have a Cardo mesh system... the Packtalk Bold.  It has 2 Bluetooth connections available.  I pair the bike as primary, and my iPhone as the secondary connection to my headset.  That’s it.

I put my phone in my jacket pocket, and it runs on battery.  I usually listen to Sat radio, and when I am running a route on my Nav6,  the voice commands will interrupt the media.  Mesh intercom will also interrupt, and I have it set to play my audio source quietly in the background while my riding buddies are talking.  If I want to make a call or listen to media from my phone, I say “hey Siri, play music.”  Or whatever.  

I charge my phone and the Cardo in my hotel room at night.  When I start the bike in the morning, everything connects automatically, and starts playing.  The mesh connects automatically to riders within range.  

Easy and seamless.

Cap

On 9/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, Skywagon said:

I don't use the radio (it came on the bike when I bought it used). I mount my phone on a Ram X-Mount and use it for everything (navigation, communication, and entertainment) and pari my Cardo Packtalk to it. Though my bike has bluetooth, I have no need to pair it because I don't use the radio (I don't like the distraction).

I do want to add a dedicated GPS (like the new Garmin motorcycle unit that just came out) and I would use it as the bluetooth hub. So I'd pair the cardo and phone to the GPS and it would be the audio source. This would keep the phone in my pocket (on my person) in case of an unplanned get-off.

Thanks Pappy I do use all those features so hoping to find a way without the dongle.  

Cap....you said you pair the bike as primary to your Cardo.  Are you pairing it to helmet 1,2 or the Nav unit?  Then the second channel of your Cardo you blue tooth you Iphone?  You do not use the USB or 3mm in the glove box?

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Cap....you said you pair the bike as primary to your Cardo.  Are you pairing it to helmet 1,2 or the Nav unit?  Then the second channel of your Cardo you blue tooth you Iphone?  You do not use the USB or 3mm in the glove box?

Yes, Cardo bluetooth channel 1 to the motorcycle bluetooth.  Cardo channel 2 to my phone.  The Nav6 is docked, and communicates via the motorcycle media channel -- no need to use the separate bluetooth connection on the Nav6.  No, I do not use the connectors in the glove box for anything.  

I don't think it matters which Cardo channel pairs to which device, phone or bike.  I usually keep my phone on.  I usually power up the Cardo in the morning, and leave it on all day regardless of whether I am stopped for gas, or eating lunch, or whatever.  Whenever I fire up the bike, I hear a series of status messages on the Cardo as it connects to the bike, and confirms the phone is connected.  

The only fiddly bit is that if you have initiated talking to your phone, then Cardo will ignore all voice interaction until you terminate the connection to your phone.  On the Cardo, there is a hardware button on the control unit, and you need to reach up and press that button to terminate a phone call, or a voice command interaction with your phone.  Until you disconnect the phone, you will have no intercom and no media, including no navigation prompts.  Makes sense, Cardo needs to know when you are done talking to your phone, and it won't share your phone call over the intercom.

Cap

Thanks....just to clarify using the WonderWheel Cardo is connected to Helmet 1 under the audio prompt...  I'll try it this evening on my Sena and report back.

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

So navigation, communication, and entertainment aren't distractions, but the radio is?

1. I'm not popular enough for the communications (talk or text) to ever be tested. :classic_tongue: Seriously, I've never yet gotten a call but I have people close to me that, should a medical issue arise, will need to get hold of me and this setup facilitates that so I can stop ASAP to address it.
  2. I have yet to ever listen to anything that could be called "entertainment," my own musings are enough for that. I would NEVER listen to music while riding. Overall wind noise makes following long spoken words passages, like Podcasts for example, impossible over my earplugs.
  3. Navigation is pretty much limited to "turn right here" or whatever. I can hear that just fine at highway speeds and I can glance at my phone to get trip info.

I was only trying to highlight the ability to do those three things by pairing only one device to my phone rather than the "pair this to that and that to this and those two things to the other thing" method that was mentioned earlier. That all sounded very complicated in response to the OP's original request.

PS - By stating my belief that some things are "distractions" I am only speaking for myself in knowing my personal limitations. I am not passing judgement on those that can (or think they can) enjoy such things without affecting their alertness. Y'all do you ('all) and I'll do me. :cuz:

Copy that Pappy!

No motorcycle needs music, that's why I ride, to get away from the world.

Buuut, now that I have a bike with a sound system, I need an amp, new speakers, and another amp, because it is awesome!

But, no damn phones.

Agreed that music isn't necessary, at least for me and it can be a distraction. That said my wife enjoys it so that's why I'd like to arrange rear speakers on my RT. Ear buds annoy her as do in helmet speakers so that's a no go. I could direct sound to the rear and limit or eliminate music that I can hear.

I found that The "Wonderwheel" does not control volume when bluetoothed to helmet. Volume is only increased/decreased via "wonderwheel" when bike radio is coming through bikes speakers. Correct?

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Cap said:

Yes, Cardo bluetooth channel 1 to the motorcycle bluetooth.  Cardo channel 2 to my phone.  The Nav6 is docked, and communicates via the motorcycle media channel -- no need to use the separate bluetooth connection on the Nav6.  No, I do not use the connectors in the glove box for anything.  

I don't think it matters which Cardo channel pairs to which device, phone or bike.  I usually keep my phone on.  I usually power up the Cardo in the morning, and leave it on all day regardless of whether I am stopped for gas, or eating lunch, or whatever.  Whenever I fire up the bike, I hear a series of status messages on the Cardo as it connects to the bike, and confirms the phone is connected.  

The only fiddly bit is that if you have initiated talking to your phone, then Cardo will ignore all voice interaction until you terminate the connection to your phone.  On the Cardo, there is a hardware button on the control unit, and you need to reach up and press that button to terminate a phone call, or a voice command interaction with your phone.  Until you disconnect the phone, you will have no intercom and no media, including no navigation prompts.  Makes sense, Cardo needs to know when you are done talking to your phone, and it won't share your phone call over the intercom.

Cap

New to me (as of Christmas 2020) 2016 RT: As best I can tell, my Sena 10R connects and works the same as Cap's Cardo.  I did not physically connect to anything in the glove box.  Only quirk is when I want to listen to something on the phone (e.g., Pandora, music saved on phone) I have to turn off the bike audio, which also stops voice directions from Nav VI gps.  Minor irritation.  During pairing, I deleted the old pairigs on the bike audio and GPS, but I did not delete the old pairings on the Sena or phone, notwithstanding recommendations of some.  Only took about 45 minutes of trial and error :) .

On 1/3/2021 at 12:24 PM, Brunhilde said:

... As best I can tell, my Sena 10R connects and works the same as Cap's Cardo....

Do you ever use the intercom feature to talk with other riders?  I don't think the Sena 10R is a mesh system.  I think you only have 2 Bluetooth channels to use.  So, if you connect to both phone and bike audio using separate Bluetooth channels, then you will have challenges if you want to use the intercom.  There is a workaround by connecting your phone to the Nav instead of your helmet.

Cap

10R is Bluetooth 4.0, I think it has 4 channels, one can be attached to the Sena "Mesh Adapter" to add mesh capability. So I can toggle between

Intercom+mesh, or

phone/phone media and Sena FM, or

bike audio+Nav 6.

Now that I look at it, already too many choices.

2 hours ago, Brunhilde said:

Now that I look at it, already too many choices.

My choices are to ride with no phone, or use the phone and not ride.

I prefer to ride so I can get away from the phone.

Just my Luddite ways.  😏

• Thanks 1