IGNORED

What size bolt for the handlebar mounts?

jbh

I bought a 2019 R 1250 RT this year used. It came with bar risers installed from llium works.  I would like to put the bars back to the stock setting and remove the risers.   I took the risers off and then realized I do not have the stock bolts that attach the handlebars to the handle bar mount tree. Does anyone know what size bolts those are?  My dealer could not figure out what size they were based on their schematic, as they don’t sell the bolts alone but it comes with many other expensive parts. Im guessing 35-45mm M?

I also realize I may have some difficulty getting the bars inserted back into the stock mounting position, did not know if I need the special tool to reinstall the bars like you would need to remove the bars.  

I think this all would apply to a wet head 1200RT as well.  

thanks 

I thought I bagged and tagged the 2 OEM bolts when I installed the risers, but I cannot locate the bag at the moment; I was going to measure them for ya.   Maybe you can call John at Ilium Works to find out if their kit uses the OEM bolts.  I installed my own with their tool, but cannot remember if they supplied new bolts or I used the existing ones with 2 new bolts; the risers need 4 bolts, total.  The fact that I cannot find any hardware yet indicates I may have re-used the originals.  Call Ilium Works to confirm.  I will have more time this weekend to look around my bench, if they exist.  Hopefully, someone can post before that.

You have to buy the tool, but it is done as a core charge when you return it and the rental ends up being $15, plus shipping both ways, but hey it worked for me.   They have a photo of it on the website and it works like a pulley/gear puller.  Quite possible to make something similar once you know the thread pitch and bolts length.

I called llium works.  He said it’s a M10x30 bolt.  T50 if I go with a non Allen style.  Said I may want to also buy a longer bolt to get threads to reach The threads when initially pulling in handlebars FYI.  

• Thanks 1