IGNORED

Phone mount for Nav prep

RPondaRoad

I'm looking at a phone mount that plugs into the Nav Prep socket.  It would allow me to get my existing phone mount off of my Ilium bar backs and give me a better view of my instruments.  I'm wondering if any of you have used it and what your experience is with it.  I'm also wondering if my wethead's Nav contacts are electrified or if they need "turned on" by the dealer.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D8Y99V7?pf_rd_r=GP1ED5YSNHR3QRYQXWVQ&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

I don’t have any answers for you but just wanted to say thanks for making me aware of this, I didn’t know such a thing existed. I’ll be interested in seeing what people have to say.

21 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

That one appears to have an "extended" mount to work on the recessed dash mount on the R1200RT/R1250RT.  You don't say what bike you have.  My buddy bought one for the fork crown mounted GPS mount on his F750GS.  As I recall, he bought his on EBay, and said prices there ran from $30-100 for devices that appeared to be identical.  He decided to go for a mid-priced one in hopes there was a quality difference.  AFAIK, he's been happy with it.  He had no intention of buying a GPS.

6 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

That one appears to have an "extended" mount to work on the recessed dash mount on the R1200RT/R1250RT.  You don't say what bike you have.  My buddy bought one for the fork crown mounted GPS mount on his F750GS.  As I recall, he bought his on EBay, and said prices there ran from $30-100 for devices that appeared to be identical.  He decided to go for a mid-priced one in hopes there was a quality difference.  AFAIK, he's been happy with it.  He had no intention of buying a GPS.

I have an '18 RT.  There are a variety of these that are specific to the GS/RT.  The one that my link goes to (above) is for the RT WC.  Before becoming a "BETA" tester, I was hoping that one of you already had experience with one of these units.  They look like they'd really clean up the front of the bike for those of us who are not using the NAV units and use phones instead.  But, if I try one I'm curious if it will be "plug n'  play" or if I have to go to the dealer to get my NAV prep turned on.  

They are usually plug and play.  About one in 10 needs a trip to the dealer.  The only thing you gain with the trip to the dealer is some of the data from the bike.   If you are ok not being able to check the intake air temperature then don’t worry about it.  

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Carlisja said:

They are usually plug and play.  About one in 10 needs a trip to the dealer.  The only thing you gain with the trip to the dealer is some of the data from the bike.   If you are ok not being able to check the intake air temperature then don’t worry about it.  

Thanks...all I want is the power to plug in my phone.  

I also looked at the WunderLINQ that brings the advantage of  interfacing with phone functionality from the Wonder Wheel.  While that's awesome technologically, it doesn't look like something that I'd use while rolling down  the road at 75 mph or in the twisties.   The way I wobble down the road, for safety, I'd have to stop to use it.  And if I'm stopped, I can just reach up and use my phone functions by touch.  I only use my phone for pre-selected music playback, Sygic Navigation/GPS and the occasional wife generated phone call.  All of that is usually put into play before I start the bike and it's all Bluetoothed between the phone and my Cardo helmet communicator.  

Thanks to all who have replied.  If someone is out there who has used this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D8Y99V7?pf_rd_r=GP1ED5YSNHR3QRYQXWVQ&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee), I'd like to know your impressions as to how it fits on the bike, if the construction is solid and if it works alright.  

On 9/25/2020 at 10:09 PM, RPondaRoad said:

And if I'm stopped, I can just reach up and use my phone functions by touch.

Provided you have touchscreen-compatible gloves.

• Like 1