IGNORED

Who's Tried the BMW Tank Bag for the R12ST?

Mike

I transplated the Big Mak bag from my R11RT to my R12ST. I love the Big Mak, but it seems to ride a little high on the ST, probably because the ST's tank slopes downward more dramatically than my RT. I'm kinda . . . halfway . . . sorta . . . thinking about the BMW bag. Does anyone here have any experience with that bag? Opinions? Photos?

I've got one. Pricey, but works well. In general I like magnetic bags 'cause there's fewer straps and hooks, etc, but this one is pretty well integrated. NB: I believe they sell a different model if you have a GPS installed. Supposed to improve the view.

R4ND0M_AX3

I've got the larger BMW expandable tank bag. The nav bag is about the same height but doesn't cover the front part of the tank (where BMW mounts the nav) and it also doesn't expand.

If only corbin would make an ST version of their smuggler trunk I could ditch the bag.

I wrote Corbin asking about plans for a smuggler for the ST - zero response. Maybe a well-coordinated email/phone campaign...

R4ND0M_AX3
I wrote Corbin asking about plans for a smuggler for the ST - zero response...

I got a "We don't have anything for that bike. I'll check on it and get back to you".

That was in September '05.

I bought a BMW R1200ST tank bag on e-bay. Bag fits the bike well and is easy to unclip when refuelling. Bag design has foam pieces on the underside to fit the recessed part of the tank immediately either side of the filler. Whilst the bag looks big it is a bit small internally (approx 10 litres). Also need to zip-tie a proper sized map pocket on top as the built in'map pocket' is less than half a side of A4 (useless). I have two Baglux bags in the garage which I far perfer, however using them on the ST would mean spending £90 on a tank apron. Maybe one day when I have a few more £'s.

duckbubbles

I'm a big fan of tankbags and got the BMW bag when I got the bike. A neat feature not mentioned yet is the built in rain protector inside the bag. It has semi hard sides so it keeps it's shape even when empty. The map pocket is sealed well enough that if some moisture gets inside, it takes a while for it to escape. The double roll velcro closure on the map pocket is kind of a pain to use changing maps. The fit on the bike is good. Quick clips on the back and hooks go into the frame forward. The hooks can be a struggle at gas stops. I started to have some abrasion from the bottom of the bag on the front. I don't know how much they cost since my dealer threw it into the deal when I bought the bike.

duckbubbles

Didn't think about this until I had posted. My main longevity concern about the bag is the dainty zippers used on it. Most aftermarket bags have manly types that I like better.

"If only corbin would make an ST version of their smuggler trunk I could ditch the bag."

OH man that would be so cool! I don't like tankbags, no matter what, but a smuggler trunk would just be the best accessorie for the ST one could ever have. I'm all for a coordinated email assault. Who is our leader on this. The ST is not a true sport touring machine without a viable storage space---and we all know what isn't under the seat! thumbsup.gif

Bill Murray

I also have the BMW tank bag (non-Navigator version) for the R12ST. I agree with the other responses. The bag fits the bike very well. The shape dows not interfere with your arms while riding, and the slope of the rear side f the bag is comfortable given the forward leaning riding position of the bike. The permanently mounted rain liner inside the bag works very well (no separate, exterior rain cover to lose thumbsup.gif). The bag has a zipper around the exterior to allow it to be expanded upward. While the bag is expensive (around $330 MSRP eek.gif, I believe), it works so well on the bike that I would not consider purchasing any other tank bag for the R12ST.

dioscouri

also in about September 2005, I emailed corbin and they told me to keep checking their website because new products are being added all the time. They also said that if the ST proves to be a big seller, there will be a whole range of accessories available for it. I think maybe it's this latter part that is missing.

Well FWIW I had the BMW tankbag and did not like it. It did not hold enough for it's large appearance. The straps to hold it down and the bag itself did not look good, nor even integrated. And to make matters worse the map pocket would inflate with air at speed so I was constantly looking at this bubble of a tankbag---all for what, $250?

This is just my two cents worth, it did not do the bike justice, not even close. So I bought a Marsee that goes right on the fuel filler cap for when I need a map and a tankbag and that's all I'm gonna say. And it doesn't intrude upon on the wonderful shape of the fuel tank.

Oh how I wish I had a solo seat with storage cowl on the rear.

Firefight911

I have had both the non GPS BMW bag as well as the GPS bag.

I like(d) both. No interference. The lines of the bag integrate well with the bike, etc. The GPS is easily visible with the bag on. Very quick and easy removal/replacement for fuel filling, etc. Holds a bunch of stuff, IMHO.

My smaller GPS version tank bag has my communincation cords, two towels, two helmet shields, tire plugger kit with extra CO2 cartridges, flashlight, tire gauge, knife, leatherman, assorted screwdriver/torx bits/etc., Honda spray cleaner, GPS bag with remote, two hats for apres helmet, MP3 player, my wallet, cell phone, and a sunglass case. Oh yea, some chap stick and gum, too!!

And they all fit with the zipper easily closing and no bulging beyond the original shape of the bag.

Love mine! Go for it.

Nothing got wet in mine during a rain shower either! thumbsup.gif

I had a Chicane Baja EX bag that I used to have on my R1150R. It works really well on the ST and has a built in rain cover as well. <$130.

For you smugggler guys: I got a Chicane tail bag (cone shaped)for the ST, Looks good, works good too. I use it for my cover and lunch for commuting daily. Yesterday, in a time crunch, I got home threw on the saddlebags. With the Chicane, I use the holes in the rear bag mounts to hold the tailbag on and I was able to put the saddlebags on with out removing the straps of the tail bag. Double bonus!

I bought a used BMW tankbag from Hophead for the ST. Doesn't hold what it should in my opinion, due to rigid shape. The one thing that all tankbags lack is the hinge set-up that BMW used to have on tankbags years ago, that allowed you pull zipper down the side and flop the bag off to the side and there was a hole in the base of the tankbag. Now THAT was an easy fillup!

R4ND0M_AX3

I tried out a Z-Technik pod thing that mounts on the rear seat. It didn't work out so well. The straps that hook under the seat loosen up too easily due to the taper of the seat.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I'm going to stick with the Big Mak for the time being--it's a high quality piece and it works well. I'll keep my open for ST's with BMW tank bags to see if I'm impressed enough to part with $300-plus, but, for now, I can see better things to do with my money, given your responses.

I got a smuggler from Corbin for my '05 ST. Ordered it from their web site, and it was shipped within a week.

Fit and finish are excellent; paint matches too.

R4ND0M_AX3
I got a smuggler from Corbin for my '05 ST. Ordered it from their web site, and it was shipped within a week.

Honda ST or BMW R1200ST???

"Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honda ST or BMW R1200ST???"

Yeah what is that all about? Something for the Beemer we don't know about? Nevermind. I think I know you meant for Honda.

Archived