Motor32

### NHTSA Contact about Recalled Brakes ###

Motor32

Hey Guys,

Today I talked with an investigator with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and he is interested in talking with anyone else who has had the recalled brake calipers installed and the brakes still are leaking. His name is Santiago Maldonado and his number is 443-655-6524 or you can email him at santiago.maldonado@dot.gov in Washington DC. He is working on our behalf to get to the bottom of this issue of the leaking Hayes calipers that BMW hasn't solved. This has been going on since last October and BMW's fix is not working.

Steve

Skywagon

Wow....not sure this will work or not...When the 2014 Wetheads came out they had a shock issue.  There were only a few who had the issue, but BMW recalled them all. I was the #8 Wethead in the US and it took about 3 months of my bike being parked before they could fix it.  It took a while for them to mfg a new shock.

BMW offered a new loaner bike until the recall was fixed and a couple of other options.  I think I would walk into the dealer and tell them I want you to loan me a new.......1600, GS, GSA, or something until this problem is fixed......and really fixed.

I'm sure you know but that brake fluid will eat your paint.  If you have that much hitting the rims it most likely is being slung back on the bike somewhere.  Good luck...keep us posted.  There is another link on this site today you might want to visit.  It is a place to launch a complaint.

Motor32
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Wow....not sure this will work or not...When the 2014 Wetheads came out they had a shock issue.  There were only a few who had the issue, but BMW recalled them all. I was the #8 Wethead in the US and it took about 3 months of my bike being parked before they could fix it.  It took a while for them to mfg a new shock.

BMW offered a new loaner bike until the recall was fixed and a couple of other options.  I think I would walk into the dealer and tell them I want you to loan me a new.......1600, GS, GSA, or something until this problem is fixed......and really fixed.

I'm sure you know but that brake fluid will eat your paint.  If you have that much hitting the rims it most likely is being slung back on the bike somewhere.  Good luck...keep us posted.  There is another link on this site today you might want to visit.  It is a place to launch a complaint.

I have filed a second complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and after talking with the lead investigator they are not happy with the so called fix that BMW told them would solve the issue. Stay tuned. Love the Warthog, a Marine's best friend.

Steve

Bernie

You guys do know that BMW did not design or make the brake calibers.

BMW buys them and install them on the bike.

If the manufacture does not know what he is doing, BMW is just as much the victim as you are.

Maybe Hayes needs to learn how to make brake calipers that don't leak.

9Mary7

Brembo for the WIN!!!

Seriously, love my BMW branded Brembos:5210:

JamesW

I won't comment.  Don't want to upset Bernie.:)

• Haha 1

ScottT
On 9/24/2020 at 7:53 PM, 9Mary7 said:

Brembo for the WIN!!!

Seriously, love my BMW branded Brembos:5210:

Earlier this year Triumphs and Ducati's were recalled for problems with Brembo brakes. Problems that can cause "catastrophic failures". In 2018 there were two other recalls involving Brembo brakes. It's not a good idea to poke Karma. 

9Mary7

As you can see for my signature, all mine are older, seasoned, and working fabulously. All manufacturer's have issues, too bad BMW went with Hayes........ don't know what was wrong with their Brembo supply. Oh WAIT....maybe that low bid system bit them in the ass again!!:5146:

• Like 1

TEWKS

Certainly like seeing an American company get a share of the Moto Market but obviously, they (Hayes) weren’t ready for prime time.

JamesW

Wonder why the Japanese manufacturers seem to have such high quality in their motorcycles without major problems like repeated brake problems, final drive issues, trans input shaft spline failures, soft cam lobes and on and on.  Could it be that companies like Yamaha manufacturer their own subassemblies rather than rely on outside suppliers?  I may be wrong but I think BMW used to manufacturer much more of their own subassemblies especially back in the airhead days.

I mention Yamaha because I own one (FJR) and it's the first non-BMW bike I've owned in about 40 years and the Bike is really beginning to grow on me.  Well, not literally, lol.  Not going to part with my like new R1100RSL just yet though.

wbw6cos

@Motor32, on the other thread about 2021 RT changes you had commented on the fact that BMW is still using the cheap Hayes calipers.   It just dawned on me that your calipers are black colored.   The ones on mine are gold colored, including the rear Brembo.   I wonder if that makes a difference; I have not noticed any fluid leaking from the Hayes.   The bike was in for the 12k service and the dealer checked those calipers as part of the campaign. with nothing being found.  I have a little over 16.000 miles on the RT so far.

I will keep watching for your progress.

Good luck.

92Merc
3 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

@Motor32, on the other thread about 2021 RT changes you had commented on the fact that BMW is still using the cheap Hayes calipers.   It just dawned on me that your calipers are black colored.   The ones on mine are gold colored, including the rear Brembo.   I wonder if that makes a difference; I have not noticed any fluid leaking from the Hayes.   The bike was in for the 12k service and the dealer checked those calipers as part of the campaign. with nothing being found.  I have a little over 16.000 miles on the RT so far.

I will keep watching for your progress.

Good luck.

I noticed a couple of pictures of the Arctic White for 2021, not option 719 Mineral White, had front calipers painted black.  I also noticed the wording on some calipers looked larger than just "BMW".  But I couldn't find a good picture to zoom in and see what's up.

fourteenfour

Well took mine in for one year service and got told it needs new brakes. Oh joy.

OF COURSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM IN STOCK APPARENTLY BECAUSE BMW DOESN'T SHIP UNTIL A UNIT IS IDENTIFIED.

Seriously what idiot at BMW NA thinks this is how it should work. Waste a customers time because you failed, again.

wbw6cos

Need new brakes?  As in brake pads?  Or calipers?  :dontknow:

alexp

I was told that this brake issue with NHTSA is the main reason for the delay on releasing the 2021 RTs to US and Canada.  I just hope it gets resolved soon. 

Indy Dave
On 10/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, fourteenfour said:

Well took mine in for one year service and got told it needs new brakes. Oh joy.

OF COURSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM IN STOCK APPARENTLY BECAUSE BMW DOESN'T SHIP UNTIL A UNIT IS IDENTIFIED.

Seriously what idiot at BMW NA thinks this is how it should work. Waste a customers time because you failed, again.

Well... there's nothing stopping a dealer from stocking the parts. :5147:

alexp

I think the issue is more serious than we think it is.  There are cases of people having new calipers installed and they leaked again.  I heard Brembo does not want to let BMW put their logos on it.  This is where the problem starts.  Next is price too... Will see. I just hope it happens fast.