Sign in to follow this  
BMWED

ABS Failure 2007 R1200RT

BMWED

Hello all

While out on a ride the other day I had the abs light come on (circle with an exclamation mark). When I got home I did the spin rear wheel test while applying the front brake, and nothing happened.

Before I send the unit out for repair, is there anything else that could cause this? I remember seeing somewhere that low voltage to the unit could be an issue. Unfortunatly I don't have a GS-911 to diagnose the problem. 

Thanks

Ed

dirtrider
1 hour ago, BMWED said:

Hello all

While out on a ride the other day I had the abs light come on (circle with an exclamation mark). When I got home I did the spin rear wheel test while applying the front brake, and nothing happened.

Before I send the unit out for repair, is there anything else that could cause this? I remember seeing somewhere that low voltage to the unit could be an issue. Unfortunatly I don't have a GS-911 to diagnose the problem. 

Thanks

Ed

Morning Ed

Your I-ABS gen 2 brake system is not voltage sensitive like the older BMW's were as it does most of it's system checks after the engine is running & the alternator is  charging.  As a rule if you have a low voltage problem on the 1200 I-ABS systems then you also have a low charging indicator.

Unfortunately you will probably need a GS-911 (or dealer computer) to see what is going on with your brake system. There are some other (cheaper) code readers available that work with your smart phone but in my past experience they give you a failure code but not always the correct brake failure code that matches your problem. 

One of the most common problems with your era I-ABS brake system is a sticking motor brush in the brake module. That is sort of repairable at home (by a very experienced person),  but it is one of those deals that if you have to ask how you probably shouldn't be doing it (requires cutting, grinding, drilling, etc).

Sometimes you can tell if it is stuck brush by pounding on the ABS module with a rawhide mallet while trying the spinning rear wheel test. 

You can call Module Master as they can probably quote you a price of repairing a stuck brush (if that turns out to be the problem)  

BMWED

Thanks for the reply DR. The warning light did go away for a while when I had to restart the engine due to the stepper motors getting out of sync. This makes me think it could be sticking brushes.

I'll pull the tank and try hitting the motor with the hammer as suggested.

Not too worried about disassembly of the unit as I have worked on similar motors. Only thing that could be an issue would be bleeding the unit after reassembly.

dirtrider
35 minutes ago, BMWED said:

Thanks for the reply DR. The warning light did go away for a while when I had to restart the engine due to the stepper motors getting out of sync. This makes me think it could be sticking brushes.

I'll pull the tank and try hitting the motor with the hammer as suggested.

Not too worried about disassembly of the unit as I have worked on similar motors. Only thing that could be an issue would be bleeding the unit after reassembly.

Evening BMWED

Bleeding the system is easy & straight forward, it's getting that darn motor apart that is the difficult part.  

Check your PM messages on this  site as I sent you some info__ 

BMWED

Thanks again DR.