IGNORED

Loading and Unloading at 74

KeyLime

I bought an F650GS to carry on my RV while travelling and I've found loading it's 438# too much for me to handle solo.  It's the getting it up on the carrier and secured that's giving me trouble.  I can get it on to the carrier, but it's getting the first strap on and also balancing it that's too much.  I'd love to find a good used carrier that loads on the ground and is then raised by whatever means.  Very cool, but spendy.

My fix for this Cadillac problem was to buy a 2018 Piaggio Liberty 150S ABS that tips the scale at 273#...much easier.

So, what I'm looking for is a resource for any tips and tricks on this little bike;  does anyone here have any knowledge of these Piaggio's?  Improvements, upgrades, etc.

I'm not sure this is that final fix yet, there must be a reliable motorcycle that weights no more than 270# but has the brakes, comfort and power of my old RT.

What kind of RV and are you towing a car as well?  If towing a car is it four down capable?  I ask because replacing a bike you like for the sake of weight may be a risky solution. 

Agree with the dualsport plan but it'll be tough to find a 280 lb bike with the power of an RT for dedicated road use anyway. I'd go with a used Yamaha XT250 or better a WR250 if you can find one, they don't hang around long. The XT has a 5 speed and will cruise at 70 or more (top speed is 80), the WR is better offroad and on,  more power and a 6 speed and can cruise at 80. Any dualsport can be turned into a pretty comfortable road bike with a good seat,  a windshield, and longer gearing, all easy stuff to change. Done plenty of day rides on one, @TEWKS has too, heck there's a guy on here that rode one from Minnesota to Utah but he probably needed to rest up afterwards : )

IMG_1832.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

• Like 1

If a WR happens to be too dirty and the XT too ugly (sounds like a girl I dated in high school) (no respect I tell ya) :grin: you have the cute retro Van Van 200 by Suzuki. Still not RT power but a lower seat height should make it very manageable.

2000000002.jpg

John Ranalletta
11 hours ago, KeyLime said:

I bought an F650GS to carry on my RV while travelling and I've found loading it's 438# too much for me to handle solo.  It's the getting it up on the carrier and secured that's giving me trouble.  I can get it on to the carrier, but it's getting the first strap on and also balancing it that's too much.  I'd love to find a good used carrier that loads on the ground and is then raised by whatever means.  Very cool, but spendy.

My fix for this Cadillac problem was to buy a 2018 Piaggio Liberty 150S ABS that tips the scale at 273#...much easier.

So, what I'm looking for is a resource for any tips and tricks on this little bike;  does anyone here have any knowledge of these Piaggio's?  Improvements, upgrades, etc.

I'm not sure this is that final fix yet, there must be a reliable motorcycle that weights no more than 270# but has the brakes, comfort and power of my old RT.

What kind of carrier are you using?  Can you add a Condor chock or just a couple of rails to trap the front wheel to stabilize the bike on loading?

On 9/21/2020 at 4:57 PM, KeyLime said:

there must be a reliable motorcycle that weights no more than 270# but has the brakes, comfort and power of my old RT.

And only costs $4k, right?  You're asking for the impossible, I think.

My KLX250S weighs about 300 lbs, is lots of fun in tight twisties, can do about 75 on the freeway (flat, no headwind), and has decent brakes.  I've got a Seat Concepts seat on mine that's a big improvement over stock, but it sure ain't no RDL.  Range can be an issue, because it only has a 2-gallon tank.  It gets 60 mpg in spirited riding, or 80 mpg if you take it easy (I saw this once, riding it home from the dealership on back roads).

You didn't say, but it sounds like you're using some kind of hitch-mount motorcycle carrier.  Your GS is probably pushing the max weight rating of that, if so.  No wonder it's hard to load.

Maybe something like this, so you can at least load/unload the carrier at ground level, would help: https://hydralift-usa.com/002-templet-pg/