IGNORED

Removing ABS 03 1150RT

joeb

Hi all . Since I'm having ABS issues on my 03 r1150rt, I'm looking ahead to see what my options are. I've just viewed a Utube video on eliminating the ABS on an 04  r1150r. Seems straight forward enough, but my question, does my 03 rt have the same system as the 04 r ? And for those of you who have made the swap,  how is the braking on your non servo'd bike ? I really like my abs brakes and hope to keep, but not willing to pay thousands to fix.

Does anyone know of someone who repairs abs modules  , if that is the issue ? Thanks all.

13 minutes ago, joeb said:

Hi all . Since I'm having ABS issues on my 03 r1150rt, I'm looking ahead to see what my options are. I've just viewed a Utube video on eliminating the ABS on an 04  r1150r. Seems straight forward enough, but my question, does my 03 rt have the same system as the 04 r ? And for those of you who have made the swap,  how is the braking on your non servo'd bike ? I really like my abs brakes and hope to keep, but not willing to pay thousands to fix.

Does anyone know of someone who repairs abs modules  , if that is the issue ? Thanks all.

Afternoon Joeb 

Your 2003RT I-ABS system is basically the same as the 2004 1150R I-ABS system (removal is the same).

I think you will find that you have very nice progressive easy to modulate braking after removing the servo power ABS system.  Probably better feeling brakes than you have now (especially at walking speeds) , only no ABS.

Depending on what method you choose to remove your I-ABS, you can use the removed ABS relay that is currently in your fuse box for the new (added)  brake  light relay.

7 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Joeb 

Your 2003RT I-ABS system is basically the same as the 2004 1150R I-ABS system (removal is the same).

I think you will find that you have very nice progressive easy to modulate braking after removing the servo power ABS system.  Probably better feeling brakes than you have now (especially at walking speeds) , only no ABS.

Depending on what method you choose to remove your I-ABS, you can use the removed ABS relay that is currently in your fuse box for the new (added)  brake  light relay.

The video showed using the same electric module , just clipping some wires ,mounting a weather tight  cover plate then removing the fuse for the flashing warning light , blacking out the master warning light.

6 minutes ago, joeb said:

The video showed using the same electric module , just clipping some wires ,mounting a weather tight  cover plate then removing the fuse for the flashing warning light , blacking out the master warning light.

Afternoon Joeb

That is one way to do it, that still leaves you with that electronic box that can fail in the future, then you lose your brake light  with no dash warning light to warn you of the brake light failure. 

My preferred way is to just remove the entire ABS module, then use the existing ABS relay to allow your existing brake light switches to operate the brake light, then wire the tail light direct. (probably takes less time to re-wire the brake light to a relay than to fully waterproof that ABS module electronic box).

20 hours ago, joeb said:

And for those of you who have made the swap,  how is the braking on your non servo'd bike ? I really like my abs brakes and hope to keep, but not willing to pay thousands to fix.

I removed the iABS from my '03 R1150RT and I like the brakes better without servo than with. They are certainly strong enough and they are much more linear.

I chose to retain the electronics module to keep my tail and brake light function. As DR said, getting that sealed waterproof is not easy because the edge you need to seal up is not flat all the way around the housing. Also, I did not cut any wires; I can't see why that would be necessary.

I also replaced the OEM rubber brake hoses with braided stainless steel (Galfer). I'm pretty sure that also contributes to the goodness of the brakes.

1 hour ago, RogerC60 said:

I chose to retain the electronics module to keep my tail and brake light function. As DR said, getting that sealed waterproof is not easy because the edge you need to seal up is not flat all the way around the housing.

That is the good thing about ditching the entire module,  you DO have tail and brake light function WITHOUT the module.

Thanks all. Gs 911 said need abs pump. Cant repair . Mechanic told me about a customer who had exact 911 analysis and flush out the abs box, was kind of sludgy,  ran brake fluid thru it about 4 times and it worked fine.

Does that make sense ? And, would that be done on the bike , kind of like a real long brake bleed ?

On 9/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Doctare said:

Can you paste the url for the video please?

Dont know how to paste it, but utube search bmw 1150 abs removal from

Wheel stories.

On 9/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, AndyS said:

If you PM me, I will send a Servoectomy walkthru that you can take a look at.

Andy. Would love to but dont know how to pm. Not even sure I'm replying to your post

15 minutes ago, joeb said:

Thanks all. Gs 911 said need abs pump. Cant repair . Mechanic told me about a customer who had exact 911 analysis and flush out the abs box, was kind of sludgy,  ran brake fluid thru it about 4 times and it worked fine.

Does that make sense ? And, would that be done on the bike , kind of like a real long brake bleed ?

Afternoon joeb

Yes, makes sense, not so much that a 4 times  system flush will give you a permanent repair but that a mechanic would tell you that. 

Sometimes if you fool with the ABS enough you can sort of get it working but I haven't ever seen that be a lasting repair. 

One of the problems with the BMW I-ABS system is that you don't have much braking power in the residual brakes so you REALLY don't want a non-permanent repair  that could allow you to go into residual braking in a must-stop situation.