IGNORED

Fuel line leak

ncsonderman

ncsonderman

I just finished putting the valve covers back on after my first valve adjustment and fired the bike up. Very, very smooth but noticed gas leaking from the intake line. I thought that it may be due to pressure build up from a lenghty sit. (This had happened a couple of weeks prior after about a 5 day sit). I was on a tight schedule so was unable to really get dirty with it that night. The next morning, I got up and scooted down to the garage to see if the leak was still present. This time I actually saw gas spitting out of the line. The leak is in the intake line. The bottom of the two, just behind the window for locating TDC. It was leaking from the area where the hard shiny plastic line met the regular fuel line, but behind the quick disconnect fitting.

When my buddy Barry came over with his truck (to take said bike to the shop for some professional eyes) the bike failed to leak. I kept the tupperware off and rode 100 miles without any further leakage. Feeling good, I put the tupperware back on. This morning the leak was back. That rules out any type of pressure build up theory.

Any thoughts on this? Is is as simple as a dry rotted hose at 2 years? bncry.gif

beemerboy

Don't worry, they all do it.

Just kidding. My '02 RT with almost 30K miles on the clock does it from time to time and, seemingly, for no reason. I'm thinking it the factory fuel line quick disconnects and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from other members.

DavidEBSmith

Loose clamp on the fuel line?

Split fuel line?

Cracked plastic fuel line (better hope it's not that, it's expensive)?

Leaky disconnect and the fuel is running along the back of the hose?

Rottweiler

Having just changed my fuel filter and re-routing the filter to under the right throttle body, I know just where you're talking about. I would doubt that the hose is dry-rotted at only 2 years old but it's possible. More likely is that the hose got dammaged when installed at the factory by the crimp connectors. Your bike is still under warranty so have the dealer replace that little 3" piece of hose. There may even be a recall for this exact thing although I'm not sure of that. If the dealer is too far away or gives you a hard time, you can do it yourself although I found this piece of hose to be the most difficult one to replace. Because of limmited space and the hose is attached to a flexible plastic tube it was not easy opening up the crimp connector. I used a moto tool with an emmery wheel (sparks!) to cut the connector but I didn't have a fuel leak so I wouldn't recommend that method to you. Once I had the crimp connector loose I sliced the hose with a razor to lessen its grip on the plastic pipe. Make sure you replace the hose with HIGH PRESSURE FUEL INJECTION HOSE! It should cost between $4-$6 per foot and should have FUEL INJECTION printed right on it, accept no others. Also use fuel injection hose CLAMPS, I found them at Pepboys. Good luck, and keep a fire extinguisher nearby when working on the fuel system! thumbsup.gif

Actually...there IS a recall on the 04RTs for fuel line leaks. They recrimp the clamps and replace the orings in the quick disconnects.

They also check the routing of the O2 sensor wires to eliminate interference with the ignition system.

Give your dealer a call.

WestTX RT

I apparently had the same problem on my '02. It burst into flames under the battery pan and burned the wiring harness after a wash. It's been in the shop for the last three months in Ft. Worth to repair the fire damage. They believe it was a crack in the quick connector that was repaired under the recall.

beemerboy
I apparently had the same problem on my '02. It burst into flames under the battery pan and burned the wiring harness after a wash. It's been in the shop for the last three months in Ft. Worth to repair the fire damage. They believe it was a crack in the quick connector that was repaired under the recall.

This is scary. My initial response to this post was done more as a "tongue in cheek" reply but my '02 RT occasionally leaks fuel from that region. I turn off the iginition and restart the bike and the problem goes away. What bugs me though is that I took my bike in for the recall and the dealer examined the connects and pronounced them to be okay but now the problem manifests itself well after my warranty expired. I'm thinking that factory recalls have no expiration, I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I call the dealer.

In my experience, it is the crimped clip between the rubber hose and the hard plastic line.

Mine went to the dealer for the recall, but still leaked once every couple of months or so. I tightened the crimp, which stopped the problem for about six months, but it came back.

So, I installed screw fuel injection clamps and have had no further problems in 15 months. No need to replace any of the pipework, just the hose clips.

BucksTherapy
In my experience, it is the crimped clip between the rubber hose and the hard plastic line.

Mine went to the dealer for the recall, but still leaked once every couple of months or so. I tightened the crimp, which stopped the problem for about six months, but it came back.

So, I installed screw fuel injection clamps and have had no further problems in 15 months. No need to replace any of the pipework, just the hose clips.

Same problem, went to fuel injection clamps also and it fixed the leak. Wiht that said the hard plastic line deforms overtime under the pressure of the clamp so don't overtighten. I also check mine once a year for tension and every year they have needed to be snugged up. If the plastic pipe continues to deform it will fail but it has been the only way I could stop the leak.

It is a big job ot pull the fuel regulator and replace the pipes. When one of them fails I will pull and rebuild with rubber connectors and stanless steel pipe. That should be the end of the problem.

The plastic pipes are not a great design given their liklihood to leak over time and the potential for disaster if or when they fail.

I would be interested to find out if the recall means BMW will take care of them for life.

I just finished putting the valve covers back on after my first valve adjustment and fired the bike up. Very, very smooth but noticed gas leaking from the intake line. I thought that it may be due to pressure build up from a lenghty sit. (This had happened a couple of weeks prior after about a 5 day sit). I was on a tight schedule so was unable to really get dirty with it that night. The next morning, I got up and scooted down to the garage to see if the leak was still present. This time I actually saw gas spitting out of the line. The leak is in the intake line. The bottom of the two, just behind the window for locating TDC. It was leaking from the area where the hard shiny plastic line met the regular fuel line, but behind the quick disconnect fitting.

When my buddy Barry came over with his truck (to take said bike to the shop for some professional eyes) the bike failed to leak. I kept the tupperware off and rode 100 miles without any further leakage. Feeling good, I put the tupperware back on. This morning the leak was back. That rules out any type of pressure build up theory.

Any thoughts on this? Is is as simple as a dry rotted hose at 2 years? bncry.gif

Shoot, this is easy...leave the bodywork off!

What else can I help with?

Archived