IGNORED

What is this thing?

Blake8098

Yep - if that’s not clear, the idea is you use your right hand on that lever to pull up/back as you pull back on the bars with your left hand.

You see a lot of people put an aftermarket one on GSs, but I’ve not needed one on mine. Would be nice on the S when loaded for a long trip...

That makes sense. Seems like that would be easier than what I did. What would you call the panel that it is located on. The bike is missing that panel on the other side and I couldn’t even guess what to google to get a replacement.

Really got used to that handle on my 1150 RT.  Nice touch, but probably let BMW shave a few dollars when they eliminated it.  The rear rack now serves the purpose, but that handle was very well positioned!

Another question. Also new to me, it was nice to lock the throttle on the long ish ride back home but in town if I loosened it up enough that the throttle could actually return to idle on its own, the vibration would work the screw out. If I left it alone it would have worked it all the way out and I’d have lost it. Tried tightening the screw with Allen head but that just tightened up the throttle lock to where I couldn’t even turn the throttle. Any tips for being able to keep this loose without it falling out?

32C9AAA3-0150-4178-83B2-2CF5DB6D0B64.jpeg

You might also consider Loctite 222. It's a low strength thread locker that is easily removed with hand tools. Available on Amazon and other sites. 

Miguel

The reason I didn’t wanna try locktite or others is that it doesn’t work at all unless I spin the whole assembly including the screw... it’s just a weird system to me

After replacing two side covers due to poor design of half turn keepers, I finally resorted to black zip ties.  Low viz on the black side cover.  Cheap.  Effective.

If that throttle lock bar end is anything like other brands I've seen, it's designed to rotate somewhat freely with the screw tightened all the way down. It sounds to me like yours simply needs adjustment. Either that or the rubber hand grip has worked it's way out so that it extends way past the hard plastic inner tube.

3 hours ago, RogerC60 said:

If that throttle lock bar end is anything like other brands I've seen, it's designed to rotate somewhat freely with the screw tightened all the way down. It sounds to me like yours simply needs adjustment. Either that or the rubber hand grip has worked it's way out so that it extends way past the hard plastic inner tube.

That is a good thought. I will check in the morning. I took the throttle lock completely off and wiggled the rubber a bit. But didn’t check for that. Thanks for the advice 

One other thing to note. Most throttle locks need space between the end and the rubber grip. about the thickness of a credit card. Why? When the rubber heated grips expand, you may have an issue with the throttle lock being tight (how do I know this?) and the throttle may not return to idle.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, szurszewski said:

Yep - if that’s not clear, the idea is you use your right hand on that lever to pull up/back as you pull back on the bars with your left hand.

You see a lot of people put an aftermarket one on GSs, but I’ve not needed one on mine. Would be nice on the S when loaded for a long trip...

I’ve also seen that handle used for backing the bike up when facing downhill. Left hand on handle bars, and right grabs that handle, and push. Hi @mrduck

On 9/15/2020 at 5:15 PM, RandyShields said:

Really got used to that handle on my 1150 RT.  Nice touch, but probably let BMW shave a few dollars when they eliminated it.  The rear rack now serves the purpose, but that handle was very well positioned!

Using the saddle bag makes it easy as well, until the hook for bag breaks.  DAMHIK (didn't have the handle for a long time so...)  LOL