IGNORED

Side case knocked off and buddy crashed.

lather

I am just returned from a 10 day 3,000 mile road trip. On Saturday I was riding my 2013 with a friend on a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 in Missouri. Not going fast, cruising at the speed limit, as we were heading for a lunch spot and were early. I spotted a black mass blocking my lane ahead ans slowed. AS I got closer I saw it was a flock of 15 to 20 Guinea Fowl.

I was not familiar with these birds and I expected them to scatter when I got close like vultures do but these dumb birds did not move. I had to come to a full stop and as I did I felt a thud  at my right rear and saw my buddy and his bike tumble into the ditch  on the side of the road. My buddy and his bike both ended up faced down and my bud was not moving. I parked as quick as I could and ran to him while dialing 911. After I called his name a few times he woke up and started moaning and said his neck hurt. I reported the emergency and the first responders arrived quickly.

Once they arrived I moved my bike to a safe spot and noticed the right side case was missing. I spotted it 40 feet down the road. After they loaded my buddy into the ambulance and headed for the ER and I finished with the State Trooper describing the accident I checked out the case and the mounting hooks. All seemed intact and I was able to latch the case back on. There is some free play but no more than the free play on the other side.

500 miles later and the case is still secure, only damage appears to be cosmetic. 

My buddy has broken ribs, a broken elbow and a broken C4 neck vertebra. He will have surgery to fix the elbow but is expected to fully heal.

I was a bit surprised that the case would come off without breaking the latching mechanism but maybe BMW designed it that way.  Has anyone replaced painted case cover. I am having trouble finding the part number for this. I can fin diagrams for case assebies but none to match the Midnight Blue Metallic color.

20200915_111838[1].jpg

Glad you are ok and glad you friend will be ok in time.  What caused him to crash?  Did he hit the birds, your bike, or ??

Here is a link to a place you might be able to get a new factory painted midnight blue...However I doubt they still have any.  Give them a call.  They are going to be nearly $600 new so the above link to ebay might be best bet.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=52026&rnd=09082020

Thanks for the replies. The Ebay listing has my interest, I am waiting for a rely from seller.

Neither of us hit any birds. I think my friend was not expecting me to slow on a wide open stretch of straight road with no other vehicles in sight. He told me he did not see the birds. I saw his skid mark showing he was trying to stop and then swerved right to avoid hitting me. Some part of his bike hit my right pannier. I don't know if that caused him to crash or he just crashed when his front tire hit the grass.

I think the scratch pattern looks kind of cool - maybe you can slide the other one down the road for a matching set?

Seriously though, I have heard of people having a case jump off underway, but not heard anyone say it went back on all intact. 

:4316:It must have spinning as it slid. I will examine the latch parts closely when I change out the cover. On the Concours forum some guy posted a vidio showing the that cases could be jolted off with a certain technique even when locked and there were a few reports of cases falling off.  Many of us drilled and pinned the lower stay to prevent that.