Groanup

Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 System Vest

Groanup

I received my Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 air bag vest yesterday.
Today I'm returning it, and I'll tell you why...

It looks like a terrific piece of equipment. Coverage is excellent with the ribs and shoulders being covered as well as chest and back. There is a hard back protector built in which contains the electronics. It's actually pretty comfortable inside my jacket although it is kind of heavy at around 4 lbs. It doesn't really breath as well as they say it does. I did not wear it on the bike though, so it might be better "on the move". It's just what I was looking for, but...

On page 9 of the manual is a section titled "section 4. Limitations of use". It takes up the bottom half of the page, and lists all the things you are NOT supposed to do to/with your airbag vest. They are all printed in bold red type. The very last item says:
"WARNING! Do not use the system 2000 meters above sea level as low pressure may damage the internal battery"...
This line did not show up in the "online" manual I looked at, which was for a previous version called the "Tech-Air road".

If you only ride at lower elevations, this might be perfect for you. I spend lots of time 2000 meters or more above sea level.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

RandyShields

Very helpful information.  I know a few guys looking at this product. Thanks for posting.

marcopolo

Ditto.  Thanks for making us aware.  I was also considering the Tech-Air 5.

Rockosmith

That is a very restrictive limitation.  Thanks for sharing this discovery!