IGNORED

R12GS Electrical

timmr

I have a standard R12GS due by the end of the month. I'm trying to plan the lighting system for the bike while not really understanding all the ins and outs, and what is compatable with what. I like the look of the PIAA 510's on a GTM mount. Can I use the automotive set?(55w vs. 35w) I'm used to plugging anything I wanted into the RT and having no worries. The GS's generator is well less capable.(720/600) If it's an issue, has anyone replaced the generator on the GS w/ the one from the RT? Is it doable?

I'm going to put a powerlet in the dash to power a v-1, but that's about all the other power that needs to be pulled. Any advice would be welcomed.

The topic has been covered @ advrider.com in detail. Just to give you some info. the 12 has enough electrical to power anything you might want to add to your bike... On my bike for example im running...

Piaa 540's

Full Gerbings (including socks)

GPS 2610

All this running at the same time and I've had ZERO problems.

You should add a blue seas dist. box 5025 that will fit nicly under your seat. You will have to lose the tool box to fit it, but well worth it as the 12s tools are practically useless....

The 2610 I hooked directly to the batterie so I can leave it on at gas station fillups or plan routes when the motor is off.

So don't worry BE HAPPY clap.gif

I have a standard R12GS due by the end of the month. I'm trying to plan the lighting system for the bike while not really understanding all the ins and outs, and what is compatable with what. I like the look of the PIAA 510's on a GTM mount. Can I use the automotive set?(55w vs. 35w) I'm used to plugging anything I wanted into the RT and having no worries. The GS's generator is well less capable.(720/600) If it's an issue, has anyone replaced the generator on the GS w/ the one from the RT? Is it doable?

I'm going to put a powerlet in the dash to power a v-1, but that's about all the other power that needs to be pulled. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kdude is right. The one thing I would add is that the recommended (by BMW) place to tap in for a positive wire that is hot when the key is on, such as you might want for the relay to your driving lights, is the positive wire going to the standard accessory socket just behind the rider. I use that one for the relay's "sensor" wire, but send power to the lamps through a fusebox that I added.

Echoing the others, no issues. Current power consuming add-ons on our 12GS:

Aux 55w each lights, GPS, FRS, Autocomm, dual heated seats, dual Gerbring clothing, heated grips (factory), and air horn.

But to answer your other question, yes the 12RT alternator is a direct swap into the 12GS.

Thanks guys. I've seen pics of your setup Ken and was hoping you would chime in. wave.gif

I'll feel comfortable ordering my setup knowing it'll be ok. Happy to know that the generator swap won't be needed, that's $ that can go into more farkles. thumbsup.gif

Archived