IGNORED

Colorado day ride

roadscholar

This story may have been told before, I don't really remember but even if it has the emphasis was likely more on the riding than the destination, and it took place over five years ago anyway so I'm sure some haven't heard it. The destination has been a somewhat guarded secret (or at least downplayed among the knowing) over the decades to protect it from the masses even as remote as it is, although that's changed in more recent times so, voila. I learned of it several years before that from @big-t and @Kenny Haynes, quite knowledgeable and adventurous riders that they are.

It's a memorial commisioned by a retired Lt. Col. in the US Army to remember and honor the soldiers under his command that were lost in combat. It's called Soldierstone and I'd been wanting to go since hearing about it, the problem is it's remote and a long ways from from almost anywhere. There are just two ways to get there from US50 and US285, one  long and dusty, the other is shorter and more direct but more difficult (the Continental Divide Trail, you need a real dirt bike for that section), we took the long way. I needed a riding partner, and who better to appreciate it than long time military man @lawnchairboy plus he possessed the ability and proper machinery to actually get there, although as in times past we worried a little about his fuel range : )

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

Had to stop for the obligatory Pass photo, then we started the real climb for Sargent's Mesa.

IMG_2385.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

When we got here something strange happened.. (that's Chris walking in the distance) 

IMG_2401.JPG

..or more likely just a big error on my part : )  There were no signs pointing the way and with a bad back I knew walking a long ways was out, so I rode. And rode, and rode some more, all over the sizable mesa looking for it for 45 minutes or more over some pretty tricky terrain before realizing I'd passed within 100 yards of it but had been looking in the opposite direction. By the time I stopped to view the stones and take some pics at least an hour had passed and Chris had already headed back to Salida (can't blame him, he said he yelled to no avail). Maybe it was fortuitous we each took it in solitary in our own time and way, who knows.

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG 

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

So I took my time..

IMG_2418.JPG

and did a little exploring afterwards.

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

The ride back north leaves plenty of time and space for reflection.

IMG_2435.JPG 

Here is a link to the story and some history behind it.

http://hiddencolorado.kunc.org/soldierstone/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I grew up not admiring sports legends, Superman or Batman (ok maybe Speed Racer and Evel Knievel :classic_biggrin:) but even at a very young age, I held a high place in my thoughts for US Service Members who fought and died for our country. I didn’t really understand patriotism at the time, but, I knew they did brave things! :clap:

Bill, could you put that monument in the book please... ;) :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Glad to see see they put up a fence.It is indeed a special place.After visiting it we stopped for a cold beer and I got a chance to talk with a rancher that lives near by and he gave me the whole story of all the problems from trying to get permission from the US Forest service to let Col.Beckley, install the monument.According to the rancher the forest service refused to let Lt Col. Beckley (an Agent Orange victim)place the Monument on their grounds.While he was pursuing all the legal channels to get it done it became apparent he would not be alive much longer, so they went ahead and placed it without permission and without the forest service knowing.Col Beckley died about the same time leaving the FS in a position of removing it and having the publicity issue to deal with or just accepting it,which is what happened,but they decided to provide no directions to it or mark it on maps.

My belief is it was intended to be a quiet  place  for veterans to reflect on lost comrades

Here are a couple of pics from our visit in 2011

Me,Kennyh Ron and Blue

The old rancher was a hoot.He came in with his horse in the trailer from checking the cows near the monument and told me he had to kill some time before going home as his wife had a list of Honey-Doos waiting for him:rofl:

IMG_0302-X2.jpgIMG_0300-X2.jpgIMG_0281-X2.jpgIMG_0444-X2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for filling in some of the missing pieces, it's usually the good stuff you can only get from a local.

"My belief is it was intended to be a quiet  place  for veterans to reflect on lost comrades"

I agree and edited out the map out of respect for those wishing to keep it less public. If anyone on the forum is serious about going, glad to send a map or directions in a PM.

Todd did you guys ride the section from there to Marshall Pass that goes by Windy Peak? I tried it a long time ago two up on a DR650 (downhill) and wondered if we'd get out alive.

Anyone who is interested, in a few more years I will be a full time CO resident, I'll be happy to guide you..

youll have to ask big-T about tomichi creek though....😉

• Like 1
20 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Todd did you guys ride the section from there to Marshall Pass that goes by Windy Peak? I tried it a long time ago two up on a DR650 (downhill) and wondered if we'd get out alive.

Bill,to be honest I can't remember.We camped in Saguache for a week and rode so many trails,some easy,some not so easy.I don't remember it so it was probably easy  :rofl: looking at the pictures these were numbered  after  we left the monument

IMG_0305-X2.jpgIMG_0308-X2.jpg

4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

youll have to ask big-T about tomichi creek though....😉

I found this guy on Tomichi creek one day,,,I think he was trying to tell me something.......:rofl:

IMG_0287-X2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, big-t said:

Bill,to be honest I can't remember.We camped in Saguache for a week and rode so many trails,some easy,some not so easy.I don't remember it so it was probably easy  :rofl: looking at the pictures these were numbered  after  we left the monument

IMG_0305-X2.jpgIMG_0308-X2.jpg

No not it, looked more like this, in fact this is part of it, you probably would've remembered it : )

[IMG]

It was in 2011, after 3 or 4 hours trying to get down off the mountain I luckily found an escape back onto Marshall Pass Rd, never been so happy to see a dirt road. Kenny and I went back to look at it a few years ago but there was a nice new locked gate this time, probably a good thing..  

41 minutes ago, big-t said:

I’ve been across several of those roads. I would have remembered that one,especially if it would have been 2 up:18:

I asked her to walk some of it, she was happy to. :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 10 months later...
roadscholar

This story begins here with a little get acclimated ride..

IMG_2949.JPG

and sort of ends in the same place (altho that part's been covered before).

IMG_3061.JPG

But, there were a few days in between while we waited for the gang to show up, what should we do? Actually Pat and I had been planning it for awhile, bucket list stuff for me. I think we left about the same time, it takes me 2 1/2 days taking it easy not sure about Pat.

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

We got settled in (the little trailer converts to a camper w/lighting, a bed, couch, AC, and heat) then went to dinner at the John Wayne Cafe.

IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

The Old West, from Rooster Cogburn to Gunsmoke to Nellybelle : )

IMG_3040.JPG 

We just had a couple days so decided to go for the big one right off, dicey weather aside. Stopped in town for a to go picnic lunch then hit the road...trail.

IMG_2998.JPG

Some of the videos of the MDH are in another thread (Million Dollar Hwy) so we'll pick up where they left off. Some (not all) of this is a repeat but it's been quite awhile. 

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-Mv5w59d/A

IMG_3006.JPG

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-VxFvFms/A

IMG_3004.JPG

We made it, The End.

Oh wait.. not exactly..  

roadscholar

Sometimes at the point of no going back the truth escapes. :whistle: :grin:

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-RhH8nWz/A

This one's long, probably boring, and definitely blurry, so feel free to skip ahead at your leisure.

You can't always get what you want..

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-bk2tkHV/A

Ditto..

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-jdRvtJt/A

• Haha 1

How uncomfortable did I look on camera! :rofl: Obviously, I belong behind the scenes. :thumbsup: Now that last video I thought was the “steps” on Black Bear but it ended right before them. :( I liked your reply to my “let’s get a picture” statement. You.. “before we die”  :D

That was an awesome adventure! :clap:

Edit..

The ride across the Country (in tandem) was fun too! “Where you at? Oh cool I’m here etc.” Cut down the boredom a lot! :thumbsup:

roadscholar

So I drove from Florida, cajoled Tewks in New England to join me on one of the most fearsome sections of Colorado's passes and forgot to turn on my video camera at the crucial moment, yes complete idiot : ) 

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-MhgzfJJ/A

IMG_3011.JPG

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-8R2Xthp/A

A little stroll thru a bustling Telluride, the big peak in the background is where we just came from. I went there once in the early 70's, bordering on ghost town it had one old hotel and maybe 3 bars open, that was it. Looking at the wall at the end of town someone said, 'there's a road down the side of it',  I said no way.. 

8f7831342f1dc7d31a640bbb49b8bd3f.jpg

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-wb2fTZL/A

https://waybill.smugmug.com/Colorado-July-16-videos/i-49QXgRC/A

Cool stuff Bill, I don’t think I ever saw your camera view of Black Bear! :thumbsup: Did ya happen to notice the lightning strike at the 0:28 second mark? :cool: Telling ya, you’ve got all the material for a best seller. ;)

image.jpeg.1cede9ae06ae53b2670d703f2671d8a4.jpeg

roadscholar