KMC1

2016 RT - Tool Kit Ideas

KMC1

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a 2016 RT and working on getting to know it. I'm taking off for a week on it starting Saturday and I'm putting together the tool kit to bring along. I'd like to get some advice on anything I want to be sure to include in the kit that I wouldn't normally think of. I put together a host of metric wrenches, some Torx heads, some zip ties, etc. etc. - oh and a tire plugging kit. What else can you think of?:beer:

TEWKS

Do you have a tire inflator?  The Slime Pump works well and takes up little space.

• Like 1

Boxflyer

Here's one of several files that are included with the R1200RTW 12k/20k KM Service R1200RTW 12k/20k KM Service Part 1/6

Tools and Consumables for R1200RTW

This includes the source, price and hyperlink to where I purchased everything on this list.

Hope this helps,

Brad 

PS.  I don't carry all this with me, but this is the only tool kit I use even when I'm at home to do all the service on my bike…if I need it to do anything except Valve/Cam work, I usually carry it with me (not the torque wrench or all the lubes/washers either) 

• Like 1

WBinDE

This is what I carry on my GSA. It's enough to remove all tupperware, do a 6K or 12K service including sparkplug and air filter change (but not FD oil), plug tires, remove wheels for changing tires or brake pads, and get into the tail area where my Neutrino (power distribution) lives. It all fits into a roll 4" diameter and 10" long. There are some items that are particular to my as-farkled bike, too. In addition I carry a tire pump, tire gage, leatherman, zip ties, and paper funnels (not necessary if you have steady hands).

Tools.pdf

Skywagon

Greetings KMC1....first...have fun on your trip.  Thats an awesome bike for travel.  As Tewks points out the slime pump is good and I carry one.  I don't expect to overhaul my bike while on the road but do want to be able to fix minor issues.  I carry one of these.https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-roadside-tool-kit  It's not expensive, the tools aren't great but they are good enough.  I added some tie wraps, 1/4  and 3/8 stubby ratchet, a set of torx drive sockets https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-and-38-in-drive-star-bit-socket-set-9-pc-67914.html  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bondhus-TORX-Screwdriver-Set-with-ProGuard-8-Piece-34532/302015261  , and a https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/  This is necessary if you need to remove a wheel https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/motion-pro-hex-axle-tool

I think this is enough to get me home or to a shop unless something major happens.  I've only been riding BMW since 2000 and I've yet to have to wrench on the road.  I doubt you will either.  On these wetheads my experience is they don't burn oil either so I don't carry it anymore.  On my oilhead I did carry oil.

I also carry a spare H7 bulb but not really required as any auto supply should have one.

• Like 1

kioolt

When I first got my 2018 R1200RT I put together the following tools to remove the wheels while on a trip since it seems the only problem I usually have while traveling in flat tires.

I've made a list of the tools required to remove the wheels on a R1200RTWC.  My 2018 RT will be my first bike that does not have a functional tool kit so I put this list together so I could at least remove the wheels if needed.

Front wheel
1. T30 torx bit  ---  To remove ABS sensor
2. T45 torx bit  ---  To remove axle pinch bolts
3. 13mm deep socket --- To remove brake caliper  ---  Deep socket not needed for front but can used for front and rear if deep
4. 17mm standard socket  ---  To remove bolt on left side of shaft

Rear wheel
1. T25 torx bit  ---  To remove muffler guard
2. T40 torx bit  ---  To remove rear bolt on muffler
3. T50 torx bit  ---  To remove lug bolts
4. 13mm deep socket  ---  To loosen muffler clamp  --  Deep socket needed for rear, standard socket will work for front.

Both wheels
1. 3/8" ratchet
2. 3/8" X 4" to 6" extension

I'm going to put together the above set and keep it on the bike at all times.  My biggest problem while traveling is usually tires.

• Like 1

KMC1

You guys are awesome, thank you!

:beer:

RPondaRoad

I carry a set of Torx bits,  screw drivers, needle nose pliers, zip ties, tire repair kits and a Slime Tire Inflator.  But, if anything were to go wrong that was not readily apparent and easy to repair I'll call for a tow.  If your insurance company offers towing service, I'd highly recommend it. 

Also, to Skywagon's point about the H7 bulb...  I go through one of those every 9,000 to 12,000 miles.  They aren't difficult to replace, but if I'm close to the point of burning one out, I'll replace it before leaving on a tour.  In any event, it would be wise to get the feel for replacing one from the comfort of your garage before you're out on the road.  

KMC1
2 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

I carry a set of Torx bits,  screw drivers, needle nose pliers, zip ties, tire repair kits and a Slime Tire Inflator.  But, if anything were to go wrong that was not readily apparent and easy to repair I'll call for a tow.  If your insurance company offers towing service, I'd highly recommend it. 

Also, to Skywagon's point about the H7 bulb...  I go through one of those every 9,000 to 12,000 miles.  They aren't difficult to replace, but if I'm close to the point of burning one out, I'll replace it before leaving on a tour.  In any event, it would be wise to get the feel for replacing one from the comfort of your garage before you're out on the road.  

Yeah, I'm with you, in all the years there haven't been very many issues that have come up that could be fixed on the side of the trail or road no matter how many tools you have with you. So many times it seems like it's something really serious like a blown final drive or something electrical like an ECM or whatnot, that first requires diagnosing and then the ordering of parts. But, I like to try to be prepared so at least I look like I was trying to be responsible lol

Those bulbs are a real problem, I really don't understand how bulbs can blow that often. I just switched the bulbs in my car to LEDs and they were simple plug and play items - 4 of them for less than $110. I'm already thinking ahead to putting LEDs into the bike so I can take that nonsense off the list.

I really appreciate all the responses guys - I put together my stuff today so I'm "ready" to head out. Just a couple more tweaks to the bike tonight and then a quick spin tomorrow to make sure it works, then out the door first thing Sat AM. :beer:

• Like 1

AZgman

A caution on LED replacement bulbs. First, there are some really crappy LEDs out there that do not last any longer than the much maligned H7s in an RT. Second, the headlight reflector is not designed for an LED bulb light pattern so you can get poor lighting that is also glaring for oncoming traffic. There are exceptions to these cautions, but they typically are relatively expensive.

Of course the OEM LED Headlamp assembly on my GS is $1800, so...

You might start by looking at these

• Like 1

LAF

The tire removal tools without a doubt.   Tire plugs of your flavor, worms or plugs, and a inflation device, and some small tools to remove Tupperware to get to your battery or remove it, or remove a side stand switch or something small.  Some fuses, couple pieces of electric wire, tie wraps, cell phone and BMW MOA Platinum Road Side Service, and a credit card.

Other then a tire you are pretty much done. 

Now I say this I am referring to LC boxer models in general. 

Now if I am on a trip I have a laptop and my GS911 with me so I can look for codes.  But on a 200 mile jaunt around home I dont have it.

I encourage tools but be realistic what you can or need to do beside the road especially consider your skill set and willingness to work alongside the road on a dark and cold night.  And unless your carrying a Milwaukee Fuel M18 work site light with a 12A battery, the flashlight you have is not enough for long enough to do any really major repair on the road.

Now I did have a 8 mile FD from a trike, and all the tools I needed just to change it boxed and ready to go for my 07 LT.  So when I was on a trip if my FD went I could have that sent to me based on motel room cost and shipping cost, and would be able to change it in a parking lot with little issue.  Never had to.

Point, not a lot you can do on the side of the road. 

Learn to service and maintain your own bike.  You will have move faith in your motorcycle, you will have the convenience to do services when you need or want to do them.  Not when you can go or get fit into a dealers schedule.

Boxflyer has provided that for free.  Yes you heard me right!  FREE

There is something about "feed a man" and something else about "teach a man to fish" that pretty much applies here.  I mean NO blasphemy.

• Like 1

AndyS

I try and carry all the tools I would need to do a service on my Wethead (with the exception of drip trays, GS911 etc). They all fit into the R1150RT tool roll.

i also carry puncture repair kit and compressor. I also have a tow rope and tie-down straps in case the bike needs to go on the back of a breakdown wagon. It all fits into the front of the fairing in the space that was originally occupied by loudspeakers.

Skywagon

The 1150RT’s had great tool kits and a great place to store it. In the back by the taillight plus what Andy says gave plenty of room.  The wet head has zero space and comes with nearly zero tools

KMC1
4 hours ago, AZgman said:

A caution on LED replacement bulbs. First, there are some really crappy LEDs out there that do not last any longer than the much maligned H7s in an RT. Second, the headlight reflector is not designed for an LED bulb light pattern so you can get poor lighting that is also glaring for oncoming traffic. There are exceptions to these cautions, but they typically are relatively expensive.

Of course the OEM LED Headlamp assembly on my GS is $1800, so...

You might start by looking at these

PFFFFFTTTT!!!! If I'm going that expensive, it better look like this:

searchlight_6751.jpg

KMC1
3 hours ago, AndyS said:

I try and carry all the tools I would need to do a service on my Wethead (with the exception of drip trays, GS911 etc). They all fit into the R1150RT tool roll.

i also carry puncture repair kit and compressor. I also have a tow rope and tie-down straps in case the bike needs to go on the back of a breakdown wagon. It all fits into the front of the fairing in the space that was originally occupied by loudspeakers.

Now THAT is an interesting idea! I tried the speakers the other day because the SO doesn't have a bluetooth headset yet, and they are basically useless. I am really digging this idea... I'll have to take a look at what's involved at getting to the speaker compartments to utilize as storage. Thanks man! :beer:

AndyS

It's really straightforward to  pop the speakers out.

I simply bag the items and pop them into Ziplock bags  and then stow them into the gap left by the removed  speakers. Then pop the covers back on again. Each cover is just 2 screws which can be accessed using the torx driver stowed under the seat.

To give you a clue what I have stowed in the housings are:

Tool roll

Compressor

Puncture repair kit

First aid kit

Tie-down straps

Battery jumper leads(with battery jumper power supply).

There may be more but I can't remember without opening the speaker housings up and having  a look.

Cap
1 hour ago, AndyS said:

...Each cover is just 2 screws which can be accessed using the torx driver stowed under the seat.

Hey Andy,

Seems like you might want to swap out those torx screws for "spade head" thumb screws...

spadehead.jpg

AndyS

No thanks. I prefer the torx screws. It makes it a little less obvious that there is stuff under there. 

And for the amount of hassle and frequency I go in there, it's not worth it.

• Like 1

KMC1

Well the warnings about the headlight bulbs was a good one. Sure enough 2nd to last day of the trip the lowbeam went out. Fortunately I have the headlight pro option so the right side high beam came on and functioned as our light on the way to the hotel from dinner and as a running light while on the road. Oh boy, can't wait to see how this goes, I take a XXL size glove lol :5146:

AZgman
14 hours ago, KMC1 said:

Well the warnings about the headlight bulbs was a good one. Sure enough 2nd to last day of the trip the lowbeam went out. Fortunately I have the headlight pro option so the right side high beam came on and functioned as our light on the way to the hotel from dinner and as a running light while on the road. Oh boy, can't wait to see how this goes, I take a XXL size glove lol :5146:

Your better half has small hands, or maybe use the "nuclear energy" boy to help! ;) 

KMC1
4 hours ago, AZgman said:

Your better half has small hands, or maybe use the "nuclear energy" boy to help! ;) 

That's what I'm thinking too... I would not trust him to do it though because halfway through he'll go squirrel on me and try to put pebbles in the housing or something! :3:

KMC1

So in follow up to this... I somehow got very lucky! I got around to changing the bulb last night and just went with a generic halogen for now. I watched the videos and read some of the threads so I could understand what all is involved, glad I did that was VERY helpful. I ended up taking the speakers out, and I'm using on side for a storage cubby for my tire repair kit. While it was opened up, I took the horn off - that really helped. Note, that is a T-27 bit and not a T-25 like the speakers....

Once I got that far, and I know this will probably get me some scorn lol... but I had that bulb changed in all of about 3 minutes. Popped the horn back on, put the speaker cover on with the tire repair kit stowed... and Bob's your uncle! lol... 

So even though it won't show up in a headlight bulb thread - just know that when you post helpful stuff, pics, vids, etc.... even years later that stuff really does come in handy and helps people who may not comment. It saved me a lot of struggling seeing how it goes together.

I played with the adjuster a bit too, but I can't get the headlight low beam adjusted up as high as I would like.. it just stops slightly short (50') of where I want to be able to see. I may still add some aux running lights at some point, but for the moment anyway, I just want to wash it and ride it lol

:beer::4315:

Dann
On 9/19/2020 at 10:47 PM, KMC1 said:

I burnt the low beam last week on my 2019 R1250RT and even though I have the headlight pro option, only the Angel eyes were on. :5146:

Could be different on a Canadian bike...

KMC1
7 hours ago, Dann said:

I burnt the low beam last week on my 2019 R1250RT and even though I have the headlight pro option, only the Angel eyes were on. :5146:

Could be different on a Canadian bike...

Hmmm.... I suppose that is possible... maybe it doesn't meet some regulation or something.... but I will say that was a really great option to have because I was in NO MOOD to deal with a bulb on the side of the road or waste time with it at the hotel or wherever and it also allowed us to go out and grab some dinner without having to mess around.... those crafty Germans think of everything lol

• Like 1