IGNORED

Meet your UnRally UnCommittee...

Tasker

I thought I would introduce you to your UnRally UnCommittee, a small group of very hard working and committed (or will be when this is over grin.gif) people working behind the scenes to put this year's UnRally together:

Matt Staller (MattS) from Kingston Springs, TN (Nashville area) via New Jersey: Matt is our Web designer and manager. Not only did he design the current UnRally website, but his designs are also being used for our UnOfficial UnRally tee-shirts and other goodies to be announced. Matt has put a lot of time and work into what has become a great site and designs. Matt came highly recommended due to all of his hard design work on our El Paseo Websites. Matt rides a R1200GS extremely fast.

Ken and Donna Harbeck (Ken H.) from Overland Park, KS (Kansas City area): Ken and Donna graciously agreed to handle the UnRally registration, as well as the on-site check-in and registration process. Their hard work is well reflected in how smoothly the process has gone, so far. They ride a R1200GS very fast!

Steve Knapp (steveknapp) from Grayslake, IL (Northwest suburb of Chicago -- closer to Wisconsin than Chicago): Steve is our route designer, and he has promised not to run anyone off of a cliff while in Colorado eek.gif. Steve knows route planning and will deliver a group of great and creative routes for us to choose from each day. Steve, well what can I say, he just sold his R1200GS in favor of a new Buell Uly, which he is having a blast with!

Tasker Day (Tasker) from Indianapolis, IN: I'm just the guy who convinced these good folks to give their time and brainpower to this great cause. I am quite sure that I have lost four good friends once this thing is over at the end of June, but hey, you have to do what is necessary to stage a great event! eek.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif I ride a R1200GS very slowly.

I truly am grateful for their time and hard work, and wanted you to know who they are!

Be sure to buy them a beer while at the Un! thumbsup.gif

Les is more

As someone fully aware of how much UNorganizing goes into an unrally, I can only say, bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

DavidEBSmith

Who's in charge of ordering pizza? Hey, isn't there someplace in town that somebody here mentioned a while back?

Joe Frickin' Friday
Steve Knapp (steveknapp) from Grayslake, IL (Northwest suburb of Chicago -- closer to Wisconsin than Chicago): Steve is our route designer, and he has promised not to run anyone off of a cliff while in Colorado eek.gif. Steve knows route planning and will deliver a group of great and creative routes for us to choose from each day.

Knappy, what version of Mapsource files are you using? I've gotten screwed the last couple of El Paseo's because I have a different version of Mapsource than MattS had when he made the routes. He did a great job of naming the waypoints according to what roads intersected at the waypoint, so I still managed to follow the routes; but it would be much easier if I got turn-by-turn directions and lines that followed the roads, instead of laser-straight lines between waypoints on the screen. crazy.gif

...what version of Mapsource files are you using?...naming the waypoints according to what roads intersected at the waypoint...

Actually, that was Ken Insley ... I stopped naming waypoints at intersections when autorouting came around.

The long and the short of it is ... you've got to recalculate the routes in Mapsource prior to uploading. There are now (literally, more than ever) so many versions of maps out there -- how about five City Navigators and an equal number of City Selects -- that it would be impossible (or damned near) to make a version of each route out-of-the-box-compatible with each extant version of software.

To be on the safe side: take the route as posted, duplicate, recalculate the duplicate, then spend a couple of minutes at a nicely zoomed in scale confirming that the routes match. Your recalculated duplicate should work with your software-of-choice.

Sorry for the confusion -- unless I've just added to it -- in which case, you're welcome.

As someone fully aware of how much UNorganizing goes into an unrally, I can only say, bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Ah, yes. I remember tackling the chores in preparation for UnOne. If it wasn't for the great help we received from so many of our volunteers, who knows if there would have been another Un. All I can say is, if you run into any of these volunteers (past or present)at the Rally, buy them a beer, a Diet Coke, a slice of pizza, let 'em cut in line for food, help 'em clean the bugs off their windshields, whatever. They deserve our sincere thanks.

All I can say is, if you run into any of these volunteers (past or present)at the Rally, buy them a beer, a Diet Coke, a slice of pizza, let 'em cut in line for food, help 'em clean the bugs off their windshields, whatever. They deserve our sincere thanks.

I have already volunteered to help Tasker put some miles on his GS if he's too busy to ride.

What more can I do? wink.gif

What more can I do?
Give me your RT of course! That would easily be adequate "thanks." grin.gif
What more can I do?
Give me your RT of course! That would easily be adequate "thanks." grin.gif

My RT's set up for some pretty tall doods...but, wink.gif

Am I gonna have to put on new tires to get back home? grin.gif

steveknapp

Knappy, what version of Mapsource files are you using?

Matt gave the answer you're looking for, I think.

Also, I plan to *not* make loops. That's what always gets me. It recalcs and sends me straight back to the hotel. I'll pick a 1/2 way point for each loop, and have 2 routes.

Fasterpill

So Tasker, are you the Uncoordinator?

I wish I was going this time, but we're getting ready to move back east to upstate NY hopefully this summer if jobs come through.

Yes he is, and a mighty fine job he's doing!

A testament to the trade!

An experienced, skilled, extemporary professional in every sense of the word!

A purveyor of the fine art of UN!

A dedicated leader! Inspirational, decisive yet open minded!

One of the true masters!

(Not that we're bucking for a raise or anything...)

Paul Mihalka

I think all BMWST members can agree on giving the complete UnCommittee a 50% raise now and a additional 50% bonus at the completion of Unrally. (Would this be a Unraise? grin.gif)

One of the true masters!

Take another slice of Pepperoni out of petty cash. grin.gif

And on a more serious note, thanks.

One of the true masters!

Hmmm... Where's that BS graemlin when you need it! tongue.gifgrin.gif

Would this be a Unraise?

Yeah, about what I'm now receiving... eek.gifgrin.gif

His current professional life is based around UN, isn't it.

See what I mean? tongue.gifeek.gifsmirk.gif

Paul_Burkett

Perhaps we need another page for routes. What I have found helpful is when one of the members put routes on the clubs web site, then who ever wanted to copy it could open the site on one page then open there own version of GPS maps, then copy it themselves. http://www.crbmw.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=568

It is a bit of do it your self, but there are still five weeks until the UN.

steveknapp

Paul, I was thinking of suggesting that people send me ideas, and I'll do my best to chart them out and put them into GPS files.

Of course my other plan was just to buy you breakfast and pick your brain dry. smile.gif

Paul_Burkett

If sacrificing my waistline for the good of the rally is what is called for, then I will offer my self whole hearted. OH OH, here comes a PM.

Archived