IGNORED

Rear Brake Problems

Joey Simonton

Joey Simonton

2004 K1200GT with ABS. Bought it used last year and ended up changing front and rear pads about a month ago after the rear brake started failing. Unfortunately I never heard any metal on metal, but when I pulled off the caliper, the pad was absolutely eaten away and gone on one side of the rear and down to the metal on the other side. I was cursing my drummer's hearing damage for not being able to hear the damage going on, but finally got some new pads put on. I know I need to change the rotor too, but that has to wait until I find the solution to this problem first. So, after changing the pads, on the stand the brakes worked fine. Took off down the driveway and the Brake Failure Light and the regular triangle red warning light were alternate flashing at a slow rate. As soon as I braked I lost the rea brake and those lights started alternate flashing rapidly. So, now I have no rear brake but I have ridden it a few times around the neighborhood because the front brake handle seems to still apply some rear brake too. But as soon as I step on the rear pedal those lights start flashing quickly again. They only go back to slow if I turn the bike off. Any suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Joey Simonton said:

2004 K1200GT with ABS. Bought it used last year and ended up changing front and rear pads about a month ago after the rear brake started failing. Unfortunately I never heard any metal on metal, but when I pulled off the caliper, the pad was absolutely eaten away and gone on one side of the rear and down to the metal on the other side. I was cursing my drummer's hearing damage for not being able to hear the damage going on, but finally got some new pads put on. I know I need to change the rotor too, but that has to wait until I find the solution to this problem first. So, after changing the pads, on the stand the brakes worked fine. Took off down the driveway and the Brake Failure Light and the regular triangle red warning light were alternate flashing at a slow rate. As soon as I braked I lost the rea brake and those lights started alternate flashing rapidly. So, now I have no rear brake but I have ridden it a few times around the neighborhood because the front brake handle seems to still apply some rear brake too. But as soon as I step on the rear pedal those lights start flashing quickly again. They only go back to slow if I turn the bike off. Any suggestions?

Evening Joey

Please explain the "As soon as I braked I lost the rear brake" -- EXACTLY what did you lose???????

Do you still have rear pedal pressure or does the pedal go full travel with no pressure build?