IGNORED

TPS issue

alexp

Hello there,

I had a TPS issue this week.  My numbers start to become blank on the rear and later the front too.  So I remember on my 2008 bike that I had the same issue many years ago.  I do remember that there is a box in front of the tail light that takes two batteries CR 123A to fix that problem.  Apparently is the same box that controls the alarm.  I'm not sure.  So I replaced with two new batteries CR 123 with Litium and not Alkaline which I believe the A comes from.  Has anyone here had any issues in using Litium battery instead of Alkaline in that box? 

Thanks,

Alex

I am pretty sure that the TPMS system is not in any way related to the CR123 batteries in your tail cone.  So if your tire pressure readings stop working, it may be caused by dead batteries — but those batteries are embedded in the sensors mounted to the wheels.  They last for several years.  Generally, when the batteries eventually die, most people replace the entire sensor.  However, it is possible to replace just the battery in the TPMS sensor, and that process is described in another post on this forum.

So, when you replaced the CR123 batteries, the TPMS system did not resume working.  Not because you used the wrong version of CR123.  Rather because whatever those CR123 batteries are for, they don’t have any connection to the TPMS.

I don't know what to say but this a second bike that I own that I had the same issue and was fixed by replacing the CR 123 battery inside that box in the rear.  I rode to work today and seems to be working perfectly now.  

3 hours ago, alexp said:

I don't know what to say but this a second bike that I own that I had the same issue and was fixed by replacing the CR 123 battery inside that box in the rear.  I rode to work today and seems to be working perfectly now.  

Can you post a picture of the box? 

I'll say this when the batteries start to fail in the TPMS sensors the display will show both lines and a read out on the same ride.  Over time (this could be weeks) they begin to fault  and come back the next time I've ridden.  After replace replacement they work correctly.  I'm now on my third set of sensors, the first two Chinese knock offs (one lasted a week).  OEM is crazy expensive but that is all I'll buy now.  14R1200RT

Strataj...  Thats interesting you are on 3rd set.  I wonder if it is mileage related or something else.  My 14RT is still on the originals.  I'm at 30k miles.  Im curious when other 14RT owners have had TPMS failure/replacement.  I know Terry has and I believe he replaced the batteries in the OEM ones.

Not related but trivia about Wills Point.  When I was a kid and we traveled through Wills Point there was a gas station that my dad always stopped at.  I don't remember the name and I am sure it is long gone...but the reason he stopped was the opportunity for free gas.  When you put the pump in and put it on automatic, if it stopped on all the numbers matching your gas was free. e.g $333, 222, etc.  To the best of my knowledge and memory he never hit the numbers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, alexp said:

I don't know what to say...

I'm stumped too.  I googled it, and discovered that the module you mention is the "DWA" module, or the Anti-Theft Alarm module.  It does have a pair of CR123 batteries in it.  And it is an optional piece of equipment, so that explains why my bike doesn't have it.  As far as I can determine, the DWA function is independent of the TPMS function.  There should be no reason why changing the batteries in the DWA would have any effect on the TPMS.

Perhaps somebody with a wiring diagram can confirm or disconfirm the independence of these functions.

Cap

25 minutes ago, Cap said:

I'm stumped too.  I googled it, and discovered that the module you mention is the "DWA" module, or the Anti-Theft Alarm module.  It does have a pair of CR123 batteries in it.  And it is an optional piece of equipment, so that explains why my bike doesn't have it.  As far as I can determine, the DWA function is independent of the TPMS function.  There should be no reason why changing the batteries in the DWA would have any effect on the TPMS.

Perhaps somebody with a wiring diagram can confirm or disconfirm the independence of these functions.

Cap

Morning Cap

I agree with you that the DWA should not effect the TPMS operation, as the TPMS & DWA are pretty independent of each other in operation. For the life of me I can't see how dead DWA batteries could  stop TPMS operation (so my SWAG is that it isn't effecting the TPMS operation part,  but possibly could be effecting the TPMS "reporting" to the dash module over the CAN.  

I do have a number of wiring diagrams but none show the internal interface of the TPMS to the DWA electronics.

About the only thing that I can think of for not  allowing the TPMS to function with dead batteries in the DWA box is that they both report back over the same CAN pigtail so possibly with dead DWA batteries the continuous DWA low-battery CAN output trumps the tire pressure CAN signals.

Or remotely possible that just disconnecting/reconnecting  the  TPMS/DWA box to replace the batteries is allowing a TPMS to re-capture the tire pressure sensors. (kind of a long shot on this one)   

• Like 1

Or coincidence.

I had some intermittent failing of the tpms sensors maybe 5 years ago.  Then they went back to working every time all the time, including this year.

But my bike, a 2008 RT was now 12 years old and I figured they (the batteries) would not last forever.  So, since I was putting on new tires, I got new sensors.  But, yes, the old ones were still working as usual when I took them out. 

My mileage is around 65,000. 

If someone has a '14 model and has replaced the sensors already, I suspect what I suspected when I got the new sensors.  That BMW has gone to some cheap China made batteries for their sensors, at some point in time. 

I suppose that means my new ones won't last any part of 12 years.

dc

TPMS are like Fuel Strips, it works for some and not for others.

I like the discussion of all the technical subjects, as I am looking at them as a learning tool.

That is one of the reasons I will like different posts of different members. It has nothing to do with me agreeing or taking sides in argument or discussion.

Keep up the discussion, it helps all of us in the long run.

Bernie....Maybe we could talk to the mod's and get them to create a new forum.  It would have to be just the facts forum with no editorials - fill in the predefined blanks.  It would contain something like this with fill in columns.

Part that failed.  Age of Part  Mileage on part  Year of bike  Miles on bike

If we had a forum like that where we could list the facts without whining, moaning, etc...It could be used beneficially as a safety item for life limited parts. No wear items like tires, oil, batteries, etc.  It would also help buyers and sellers what to look for in their hunt for bikes.

Example

Alternator, 4 years, 20,000 miles, 2015 RT 40,000 miles

I am not complaining. I enjoy the whining and moaning. I do a fair share myself.

I learn something new every time someone has a issue and everyone discuses a possible solution. It is always great when a solution is eventually found.

8 hours ago, strataj said:

Can you post a picture of the box? 

I'll say this when the batteries start to fail in the TPMS sensors the display will show both lines and a read out on the same ride.  Over time (this could be weeks) they begin to fault  and come back the next time I've ridden.  After replace replacement they work correctly.  I'm now on my third set of sensors, the first two Chinese knock offs (one lasted a week).  OEM is crazy expensive but that is all I'll buy now.  14R1200RT

No need for a picture, thanks. 

It is the DWA box.  I don't know what to say but the Dealer told me on my 2008 to do it for the same reason and now I did to my 2015 and it clears .  All the numbers are working fine now. 

I think mileage has an effect on TPMS battery life. My 2014 R1200GS went through two sets of sensors during 130k miles of ownership. Replacement was about every 2-1/2 years.

I have a 2017 RT with 60,000 plus miles on and one of my tpm is not working so I would think it would be a mileage thing. I do know that it pisses me off having to pay a couple hundred dollars for a 3 dollar battery, I"m thinking of going to one of the ones that go on the valve stem. I had them on my 2008 goldwing and was satisfied with them. 

On my bike, first the rear one went blank, a couple of miles out the front went blank and than sometimes just the front was out.  I couldn't pinpoint if my problem was the front or the rear.  Sometimes just the front one was out.  So after I replaced the two CR 123 batteries in the DWA box, all my issues are gone.  That is all I can share with you all. 

• Thanks 1

The DWA box is only for alarm and central locking.  The TPMS receiver module is just above the DRW.  I should know because my bike didn't have alarm/central locking.  It does have TPMS.  That's where the Clearwater Darla control module plugs into is the TPMS box.

DWA.jpg.c90f0fe92dad306265d4c5b42bf9fc3a.jpg

12 minutes ago, 1940 said:

Ok is this under the drivers seat or passenger seat? I don't recognize anything in the picture.

It's behind the passenger seat under the rack. The bike needs to be equipped with an alarm and central locking to have both

• 2 weeks later...

Manual confirms that the DWA uses a CR123A battery:
843295791_R1200RTDWAbatteryspecs.jpeg.ec689e28716092a34e80c187e335f1b1.jpeg

There's a warning indicator (only at startup) to tell you when the battery needs to be replaced:
1350614113_R1200RTwarnings.jpeg.13ba9637210aabe86329f57c9976893c.jpeg

But BMW wants you to have your dealer replace it:

1888707666_R1200RTDWAbattery.jpeg.129ce6793837e6f4268b09f9f5d6ba09.jpeg

All I can say is that I never had any more issues with my TPMS system after I replaced those two batteries. Same thing happened with my old 2008 RT. 

• 6 months later...

One thing to consider is you have any wifi components mounted on the bike or carry with you. Wifi transmissions can interfere with the signals from the wheel sensors to the receiver. I have this issue with my 2012rt because I have a innovv k2 cam mounted and it uses wifi to communicate to my phone when accessing it. Fortunately I can set the wifi to turn off at different time intervals after power up. Problem solved when wifi is off.  Also a very longshot is if there is a vehicle nearby that has onboard wifi transmittting. Crazy things happen in a crazy world of technology. 

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

This seems to be the thread for all things TPMS so here's my experience:

Bike is 2014 R1200RTW owned fom new and now coming up for 100,000 miles.  The first TPMS sensor to fail was the front - it became intermitttent at the end of a days riding, this was around 3 years from date of purchase (just outisde the warranty of course).  I have now replaced the batteries twice on the front wheel, each time the unit would function perfectly for about an hour then fail.  Next day it would come back to life for about 30 mins at the start of a ride then fail again, eventually it stopped working completely.  I have a spare sensor so replaced the battery in that and changed it out at he next tire change, but the result is much the same after an hour or so it would quit, after a rest it would come back to life.  I think the rear sensor is still the original.

Couple of observations:

1. The rear sensor is much closer to the control unit, so maybe the signal is stronger and a weak sensor battery will continue to work?

2. The open circuit battery voltage on the sensor I just replaced was still just over 3v, and checking against the Maxell spec sheet putting a 15K load the voltage drops to 2.985v after 3hrs it still appears to be in spec.

3. Just connecting a battery to the sensor on the bench with an ammeter (measuring micro amps) in the circuit appears to show a continuous 1sec pulsing current between 0.8 and 1.0 micro amps. (not sure what this means)

I am not sure where to go next, the problem doesn't seem to be the battery but I have a feeling if I could get hold of a battery with say 3.2v it would probably work...

Long shots I have tried:

Cleaning around under the seat and around the bluetooth antennae and the Shrader control unit (lots of dust and road dirt). I even tested just in case hot glue was slightly conductive - its not.

If I ever get this going I will report back.

Geoff