IGNORED

Wandering around Burford

Steve1962

Steve1962

Went for a stroll around Burford tonight , in particular the church and grounds ..........

Burford008Large.jpg

Burford011Large.jpg

Burford003Large.jpg

Burford010Large.jpg

Burford021Large.jpg

The church has a chequered history ...........

Burford002Large.jpg

Some of the flowers in the churchyard ....

Burford007Large.jpg

Burford026Large.jpg

Burford041Large.jpg

and some of the wildlife .........

Burford013Large.jpg

This bird [ dunno what it is ] is absolutely beautiful ........

Burford014Large.jpg

Burford015Large.jpg

Burford016Large.jpg

Burford017Large.jpg

Burford018Large.jpg

Off he went , into the water .........

Burford019Large.jpg

along with one or two others ........

Burford020Large.jpg

Burford039Large.jpg

Burford037Large.jpg

This grave stone caught my eye .......

Burford027Large.jpg

Burford028Large.jpg

Just outside the house is this row of Almshouses ........

Burford030Large.jpg

Burford029Large.jpg

A courtyard off the main street .........

Burford042Large.jpg

Burford043Large.jpg

Looking up the Main street .........

you can see the skies look ominous ..........

Burford044Large.jpg

Side street ..........

Burford045Large.jpg

Took one last photo of this field full of Rape ....

Burford046Large.jpg

and made it home , just before the heavens opened .

Steve

The bird is a Mandarin Duck, apparently rare in the wild. I must read up on the Levellers.

Great pictures as usual Steve.

edit - Just read up on the Levellers - it seems that the three unfortunates mentioned there were the only scapegoats of what could have led to a British republic based on the premie of the equality of all men. now where have I heard that before?

Andy

Steve1962
The bird is a Mandarin Duck, apparently rare in the wild. I must read up on the Levellers.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the info on the bird ........ I have never seen one before .....

Steve

Firefight911

Steve,

Nice essay! The wildlife and flowers are spectacular.

Loved the history lesson.

Thanks and keep them coming. thumbsup.gifwave.gif

Francois_Dumas

I thought it was a circus duck.. but then again, I am renowned for NOT knowing anything about birds ! grin.gif

Steve1962

Andy,

I did some research . The Mandarin duck ...Aix Galericulata , originally from China . A few were brought over and some escaped into the wild , and have since become established in areas of Southern England ........ as you say rare to see because they are very shy .

Steve

Great photos and interesting thread. Exactly how much rain do you get annually in "old blighty?"

For the Midlands area - where Steve and I both live - the annual average rainfall is 31 inches, spread fairly evenly, though with fewer days of heavier rain in the summer months. See the UK Meterological Office web site for more details, and the fact that we do get sunshine as well grin.gif

Andy thumbsup.gif

smkymtntaco

Steve,

Great photos, as always!

Those dirty Levellers! They were almost 150 years before the French, and the American Revolutions. And there were only a few of them...good thing the King nipped that in-the-bud!

Keep the English photo-journal coming!

Steve,

Great photos, as always!

Those dirty Levellers! They were almost 150 years before the French, and the American Revolutions. And there were only a few of them...good thing the King nipped that in-the-bud!

Keep the English photo-journal coming!

The levellers at one time were a large movement, all part of the Army. This was during the period of the Commonwealth under Oliver Cromwell. The army was independant of government back then, raised by various nobelmen. Parliament was very nervous of the levellers movement but needed the support of the army, so could do little about it. Then came the second English civil war, Cromwell dispatched the armies to Ireland and started that bloody conflict which is still ongoing. The levellers lost some of thier powerbase and parliament moved in, rounding up ringleaders. The three ordinary soldiers on the plaque were executed at Burford church after a battle in the area. One officer (sorry I forget the name - a titled gentleman) was court martialled and won his case and set free. Some time later however, he was arrested by Parliament and tried again by them and was sentenced to death. Thus ended the putative 'Republic of equals' where society would have been levelled.

A few years after that, Charles II was invited to re-take the throne ending the short period of English republicanism.

We wait to see what will happen with Charles III.....

Andy thumbsup.gif

Great pictures there Steve, can't wait for the sun to get up and going and giving us a real fine summer. thumbsup.gif

Archived