IGNORED

Clutch hub tool

beemer chuck

beemer chuck

Replacing the stator in a 2014 wet head. Since this requires pulling the trans, I will need to hold the inner clutch basket to torque the retaining nut. Thinking about a Motion Pro hub tool, sort of a vice grips with extended jaws that grip the slots in the hub. Any ideas on how else to do this? Have thought about water jetting a part the shape of the steel clutch plate and welding it to an arm.  Looked on eBay for a used plate set, but didn’t find much.

1 hour ago, beemer chuck said:

Replacing the stator in a 2014 wet head. Since this requires pulling the trans, I will need to hold the inner clutch basket to torque the retaining nut. Thinking about a Motion Pro hub tool, sort of a vice grips with extended jaws that grip the slots in the hub. Any ideas on how else to do this? Have thought about water jetting a part the shape of the steel clutch plate and welding it to an arm.  Looked on eBay for a used plate set, but didn’t find much.

Afternoon beemer chuck

I haven't had to do this on a wethead yet but using old  clutch plates bolted, or welded, to an arm is my standard way of holding clutch baskets while torqueing the retention nut. 

You might try your local BMW dealer as they might have some old clutch plates laying around. 

If not then just make a circle of steel with a hole in the center that fits the clutch basket then weld a few ears on the steel ring that fit the basket clutch plate ear slots.(use an existing clutch plate as a pattern). Or possibly drill the steel ring then press in round pins that fit in the basket slots.