IGNORED

M119, Tunnel Of Trees, north of Petosky Michigan

Redman

We went on a 3 day weekend with our son and his family and our daughter and her family. So that includes our 3 grandkids.
Stayed at a (vacation rental by owner) place together about 200 miles north of here, Mancelona/Gaylord area.
Sometimes we all went for some activity together, hike in national forest or swim in a lake.
Sometimes Mimi and Papa stayed with the grandkids while other went off an various things. 
We all took turns providing/preparing meals.

And one day, Friday, my son (Tiger1050) and soninlaw (FJR1300ES) and I (R1150RT) went for a day ride.

But this is what I found first thing in the morning.
r9VpzRa.jpg
Seemed like good gravel stone area, but had rained hard during the night.

They all had fun laughing at me, cuz I ran out there in my shorts, then ran back inside to get on boots, and back out to pick up the bike. (yes, there are pics of that, but.... dont need that here... har har har)

Was not hard to right the bike, well, after retracting the sidestand and getting into gear. No damage other than gravel scratches in three areas.

THen we went for ride to up north of Petoskey. Justin made a great route from Bill Murphy book "Motorcycling Acrost Michigan" and the Adventure Routing feature of his new GPS. So found some great roads other than statehighways. 
THe major destination being M-119 right along Lake Michigan thru wooded dune land, and where 20 miles of it is called Tunnel Of Trees.
gC6QXPv.jpg
But for us the tress are not the attraction, but the road itself. Has been given the status of "Scenic Byway" and some historic status such that the road has not been brought up to modern standards, of stuff like constant radius curves, constant incline, and clear line of sight and clear shoulders. So it still follows the lay of the land, is real narrow, has about no shoulder in lots of places, so trees right up to edge of the pavement, and lots of curves that get tighter, lots of elevation changed that cant see over, and some curves that seem to somehow curve the other way unexpectedly.
7vH58q1.jpg
Here can see how narrow the pavement is (and this is a state highway), no center line, and about no shoulder in places.

I greatly enjoyed it, and was thankful to do it with son and soninlaw. (especially after having to cancel out of similar weekend trip with them in June when I was having a health problem.)

Rest stop on way back to where we were staying.
izHQsrx.jpg
Were out for about 7 1/2 hours.

On last day, Sunday, we packed up, the wifes and younger kids took off, and then then.......
Doah.... I had left key in aux position and GPS plugged in, grunt-click-click-click.
Push starting it didnt work.
Aint no jump starting it with the battery hid away under all that tupperware. 
I had my battery tender. Found an extension cord there at the place we were staying. But knew from past experience it was going to take about 5 hours of charging (is something like 22 AmpHour battery) before it would start.

So son and soninlaw had fun arguing who should take the old man and who should take the 9 year old.

eswkcxN.jpg

g5GSTRT.jpg
So I was a passenger (first time since 1974) for about 40 minutes till we meet up with the wifes and other kids for the planned lunch (Shorts Brewery, Bellair).
THen wife and I went in van to Traverse City (about 40 minutes) to get trailer, and then later went back (an hour) to get bike, then back to Traverse City.

Home now from Traverse City, left the bike there, so it will be there available for day rides from there, since will be there 2-3-4 days a week (caring for aged-failing motherinlaw).[/QUOTE]

• Like 4

Sounds like a day full of good riding with plenty of stories to share and laugh about.

Did you do e at the Good Heart General Store? And Legs restaurant further North on 119?

Nice ride (except for the tipped bike).  Thanks for sharing.  My wife and I leave on Monday on a road trip (4 wheel) from Charlotte to that very area.  Staying in Charlevoix in then on to UP and Marquette.  Was planning on showing Barb the Tunnel of Trees that i rode about 10 years back.  Will look for Good Heart General Store for sure. 

@RTinNC while the general store in Good Hart is a good stop for a break  - featuring some history, baked goods, deli sandwiches, etc  (they are known for their home made pot pies) -

Leggs Inn and Restaurant further North on 119  is a do not pass up oasis.  While the inside dining area is quite unique itself, the elaborate outdoor seating and garden area in the back is a must see. The area is manicured and has sculptured shrubs and is on a bluff that features a million dollar view overlooking Lake Michigan. 

I was at the Leggs Inn on my journey out west to the Salida UN. I know, a bit off course, it happens on occasion. :dontknow: Anyway, I was there something like two hours before they opened for the day, I decided not to wait! :facepalm:

Nice tale Redman, we haven’t had too many napping RT stories lately, thanks for filling the gap! :classic_biggrin:

13 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Sounds like a day full of good riding with plenty of stories to share and laugh about.

Did you do e at the Good Heart General Store? And Legs restaurant further North on 119?

Yes

Needed to get a M119 sticker to mark the accomplishment on my fairly new helmet,

KNOaymb.jpg

and one for the bike.

[[ you see, each helmet and each bike needs to earn ITS own stickers of where IT has been. ]]

General Store is interesting in that is (or was) also the postoffice.

I understand the pizza is good, but is 30-40 minute wait, and the chicken pot pies are good but those are froze takeout only (except are baked during fall color season, which I would avoid that road then).,

But now , during summer, is a food vendor operating a grill outside under a tent. And a few picnic tables under shade trees. Good steakburgers and grilled ruben sandwiches. And back on the road.

THe Good Hart General Storee seemed to be the only place that had the stickers andteeshirts and such that had M119 stuff.

Legs Inn (named for potbelly stove legs) did not fitt in our schedule. But did walk around and look from outside.

11 hours ago, RTinNC said:

. . . . . .  Was planning on showing Barb the Tunnel of Trees that i rode about 10 years back.  Will look for Good Heart General Store for sure. 

As they say "Cant miss it."

Is about 30 feet off the road, and about the only thing around other than trees.

5 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

@RTinNC while the general store in Good Hart is a good stop for a break  - featuring some history, baked goods, deli sandwiches, etc  (they are known for their home made pot pies) -

Leggs Inn and Restaurant further North on 119  is a do not pass up oasis.  While the inside dining area is quite unique itself, the elaborate outdoor seating and garden area in the back is a must see. The area is manicured and has sculptured shrubs and is on a bluff that features a million dollar view overlooking Lake Michigan. 

Thanks Dave I have it on my must stop list as I love old time stores.  And better yet one with good food.   Weil probably be hitting it in late morning so it may be a coffee and pie stop or possibly early lunch.   Either way I am in!   Thanks again.   You guys are awesome. 

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

.. Nice tale Redman, we haven’t had too many napping RT stories lately, thanks for filling the gap! :classic_biggrin:

Thanks.

Next up: This bike and helmet needs to get an M-22 sticker. Hopefully that story/posting will not include any napping.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Redman said:

Aint no jump starting it with the battery hid away under all that tupperware. 

This is a little late, but unless your 1150 is unlike mine, there's a big ol' positive post under a rubber cap accessible by removing only the rider's seat, right at the back edge of the tank tupperware, and a similar ground post on the left cylinder, precisely for the purpose of jump-starting.

There's a picture of it in this Oilheads thread, but it also says that it was introduced in '04 and not even all '04s had them (which I just learned).  If you don't have them, that post also shows that the parts are available to add them.

P.S. I added a Hornig sidestand foot enlarger to mine to prevent those unscheduled naps.  But I did end up grinding down the corner of it (on asphalt) a bit.

I've been going up that way for many years as I have contracts in Houghton/Hancock. If you are smoked fish fans, I recommend Krueger's in Mackinaw City. They make a very tasty Whitefish Pate and terrific jerky., They even have whitefish sausage. If in Marquette, I like Thill's Fish house right on the water. In Hancock, Peterson's and if your up that way, Roy's bakery for pastys and the Sumi for traditional Finnish breakfast. Escanaba has  Vuus Market with some great smoked Croatian sausage and if you have a way to transport it, a Porketta Roast which is a pork roast rolled in fennel, garlic, and black pepper. I realize that there are many fish places and such up there and that recommendations on this board is similar to tires and engine oil.  So it's just my humble opinion. Safe riding. Off to the Springfield Mile this weekend. I am flat track deprived this year.

Michiganbob

On 8/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Bill_Walker said:

This is a little late, but unless your 1150 is unlike mine, there's a big ol' positive post under a rubber cap accessible by removing only the rider's seat, right at the back edge of the tank tupperware, and a similar ground post on the left cylinder, precisely for the purpose of jump-starting.......

Hi Bill,

Nope, didnt see such. Had seat off to to show son where the battery is.

I think when I replace the battery, I will add some sort of connector (SAE probably)to battery and have available under the seat. Not for jump starting, but for connecting a bigger battery charger.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:30 PM, MichiganBob said:

I've been going up that way for many years as I have contracts in Houghton/Hancock.. . . .

Michiganbob

Houghton is quite a distance from here (if went same distance south that would be, what, 3 - 4 states away).

I am in GrandHaven-Holland-Muskegon area.

You?

On 9/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, Redman said:

Hi Bill,

Nope, didnt see such. Had seat off to to show son where the battery is.

I think when I replace the battery, I will add some sort of connector (SAE probably)to battery and have available under the seat. Not for jump starting, but for connecting a bigger battery charger.

Another option is to add a positive post/lug to the starter. There are also posts online showing how to do this. No additional wiring is needed - just a bracket added to the starter. Then a hole in the plastic beauty cover and of course a rubber cover for the lug. Used in conjunction with the negative lug for the cylinder mentioned by @Bill_Walker , it’s very easy to hook up the short leads of a jump pack, or regular cables, and no need to remove the seat!