IGNORED

Hurricane, this way comin'

Rougarou

Man I feel for them. After Harvey 3 years ago and the massive destruction I have a new respect for hurricanes. This one is going to be bad but as of this morning it looks like we will only get outer band rain here and not too much. All the best. Stay safe

• Like 2

I feel sorry for anyone in it's path . We had Florence here 2 years ago. It stalled right on the coast and blew @ 110 for 38 hours straight.

I was one of the few houses on the street that still  had a roof on it when it was done.

The Cajun Army showed up on our little Island a few days later, when they could make it in , to help with the search and rescue

Hope everyone gets out of it's way , looks like it is going to be a real  doozy 

1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

That looks like Lake Charles, Richard......Hope the family is ok!  jb

Yep, wife's family in the Lake Charles area (Sulphur and Carlyss), along with some in Cameron and mine in the Jennings/Hathaway area.  Two of my brothers have camps in the Sabine Lake area.

3 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I feel sorry for anyone in it's path . We had Florence here 2 years ago. It stalled right on the coast and blew @ 110 for 38 hours straight.

I was one of the few houses on the street that still  had a roof on it when it was done.

The Cajun Army showed up on our little Island a few days later, when they could make it in , to help with the search and rescue

Hope everyone gets out of it's way , looks like it is going to be a real  doozy 

"Cajun Navy", what a great bunch of volunteers!!!

Oops , had a brain fart on that .

I have a pic somewhere of a piece of plywood that was nailed on a telephone pole that read  : Thank You and God Bless the Cajun Navy

Tough week ahead for the LA/TX border area. Best wishes to people in Laura's path.

Our daily downpour started a few minutes ago with lots of lightning & thunder, but no wind, and it will probably be over in an hour. A major hurricane is a whole different thing. 

The eye of Hurricane Hazel passed directly over our house in 1954, and I remember going outside and staring up at blue sky. Then back inside to hunker down and listen to the wind play the chimneys of our old house like a pipe organ.

John Ranalletta

In 2008, a hurricane Ike rambled up from Houston and demolished the premier MotoGP event in Indy.  It was fearsome, ripping out the Saf-fence, dropping tons of water on the track, wrecking the Honda infield tent, etc.  The race was red-flagged but it was something to see Nicky and the rest making waves.

We were in the penthouse above the first turn.  The wind blowing through the stands set up a weird harmonic and, to exit, we had to walk across the roof and down an open stairway to the ground.

Be safe down there.  Wear your masks.  Wash your hands.

Richard, Y'all alright?

We got a maximum wind gust reading at my Son's house of 14 mph. Not one drop of rain. Missouri City, Texas. SW side of Houston. 

Which is just fine, but those not from around here know that we often wish for a mild storm this time of year JUST to get some rain!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, realshelby said:

Richard, Y'all alright?

We got a maximum wind gust reading at my Son's house of 14 mph. Not one drop of rain. Missouri City, Texas. SW side of Houston. 

Which is just fine, but those not from around here know that we often wish for a mild storm this time of year JUST to get some rain!

Ya, none of them are dead yet, so all is good (dat's Richard humor), anyway, duh, powers out for them.  If'n I can get my wife to get on her facebook, I'll have her grab some pics of their damage.  From what they are saying, it wasn't as bad as was made out it was supposed to be.  From being through hurricanes and typhoons, 'tis but a bit of wind and rain......been through a super typhoon while living on the ninth floor of a nine floor building, watching the Okinawan's continue to walk down the street as if nothing is going on, while us "hardcore" Marines are on lockdown,...hmmmmm..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, realshelby said:

Richard, Y'all alright?

I lived for 30 years on the southern tip of Texas...Los Fresnos.  I played that same game...hoping for a tropical wave or weak tropical storm.  There was a fine line for me since I was in the fire and rescue service.  A little too much rain could mean many hours or even days of rescues. 

36 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, none of them are dead yet, so all is good (dat's Richard humor), anyway, duh, powers out for them.  If'n I can get my wife to get on her facebook, I'll have her grab some pics of their damage.  From what they are saying, it wasn't as bad as was made out it was supposed to be.  From being through hurricanes and typhoons, 'tis but a bit of wind and rain......been through a super typhoon while living on the ninth floor of a nine floor building, watching the Okinawan's continue to walk down the street as if nothing is going on, while us "hardcore" Marines are on lockdown,...hmmmmm..

The above was my brothers stories of "not so bad", 45 miles to the west, Sulphur and Carlyss, where  the wife's family lives.  So far, one sister has no roof, another sister has no roof and no kitchen(damn, she cooks good ya), the dad's house has many shingles missing and leaking in the kitchen and living room.  Funny, one of her brothers lives on the same property of one of her sisters in a doublewide (yep, coonass redneck), nothing, nada, zilch.  Her oldest sister's house fared the best, just trees down around the yard.

Blue is wifes family, red is three of my brothers.  Yellow is my wifes brother-in-law's family and his business, which is likely submerged.

image.thumb.png.04ee6237a2f0ddf35cfc42d74edd518e.png

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

:18:

11 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

Sheesh!  What a mess!

On the bright side, her kitchen now has a sunroof!

Ya, her initial shock is over, she's now planning a large kitchen,......she likes to cook and is good at dat sha.

Another sister-in-law's house is bad, but not as bad as this one.  Still waiting for quality shots of it. 

Verizon is completely down and they're having to rely on Sprint.  None of the Verizon phones are working.

14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Sister in laws house

So sad!  I have a LOT of empathy for them...my daughter had nothing after Katrina but 4 support poles in Pass Christian MS.  Thankfully your sister-in-law left too!

Trailer is packed, it was organized, this morning, but then we had to go to three locations to pick up more stuff, and those three locations, stuff just got "thrown" in.  Likely two pallets of water in there, plus all the other weight of stuff, chances are, I'm overloaded.......  The initial pallet of water that we bought was evenly distributed on both sides of the trailer (can't see that now).

Anyway, the wife received over $3100 in donations, and much of that has already been spent on stuff in the trailer.  We pre-ordered some more items to be picked up in Ga, on the way.  One being a counter top ice maker.  The truck's outlet is 150watts and the ice maker is 130, so, we'll make some ice on the way since that's a valued item.  When we get closer, I'ma fill up the four gas cans in the picture and I have a couple of more in the bed of the truck.

Should be an interesting 994 mile drive.

IMG_1203.jpg

• Like 2

This has been the longest it’s taken me to get here and we’re not where we need to be yet

trailer brakes failed two hours into trip so had to manage distance. Labor Day traffic doesn’t help. 1.5 year old GMC has transmission vibes that are getting worse(was suppose to be at the dealership last week, they changed it to this week, ya, not happening). Told the wife she may be taking her truck to the Ford dealer and replacing it while we’re down here, she laughed I’m kinda serious. Only 24k on the thing

anyway should be assess their dads place tomorrow to see what we have to tear out. 

what the family doesn’t take of the supplies we brought will get donated locally. 

Will likely set up a tent to stay in vice a hot oven house. It’s my world now, no electricity, no running water, no amenities, and miserably hot,......I trained and performed under these conditions ,.....welcome home

• Like 4
John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Will likely set up a tent to stay in vice a hot oven house. It’s my world now, no electricity, no running water, no amenities, and miserably hot,......I trained and performed under these conditions ,..... 

You in Baltimore?

Sorry for your family's plight.  You're doing good work.  Safe travels.

Donations we toted down were quickly unloaded, family took what they needed and word was put out out on the rest as well as stopping street traffic to ask if they needed anything

68C1482B-1EBC-4C2E-BEAF-712BC8DB4BD5.jpeg

11B68FD8-FFE5-49E4-A510-90E6DAC9BC6C.jpeg

E1EAAF3E-235B-400E-AF55-DFA6FB85CCEF.jpeg

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

4428D28A-C831-40EF-9DDA-1187BE46AD52.jpeg

You have to wonder how the heck did that happen like that...:dontknow: Very little, or it appears to be very little, damage on both sides. 

So today, been pulling wet insulation out Of my father in laws house and the outside temp was as below

AB302631-6F77-4F7C-8B2E-29F780D82F74.jpeg

so just imagine a house with no HVAC at all and the attic temps

breathing through a dust mask that would fill with sweat in minutes, felt like was being water boarded 

Sounds like a lot of this going on! :4315:What’s the plan, just buttoning things up until proper repairs can be made or are you in for the long haul? 
914XRM-gZ5L._SX600_.jpg

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Sounds like a lot of this going on! :4315:What’s the plan, just buttoning things up until proper repairs can be made or are you in for the long haul? 
914XRM-gZ5L._SX600_.jpg

Ya just trying to make sure that water doesn’t get in anymore. Then let FEMA and SBA do their thing

• Like 2

Went down to Hackberry, La to help clean brother in laws seafood business up, it’s mess closer to the coast

linemen are busting ass getting poles up. I’ve seen trucks from Fl, Oh, Tx, Al, Ga and Ms. we’ve talked to volunteers from as far away as Wisconsin, they thought we were volunteers because of our NC plates. 

B65D553C-99CF-4C83-B32D-4686AC93E816.jpeg

69A5FE1F-E7E4-41D2-BA60-3D79BFA6951E.jpeg

D75F9942-0AE4-4DDD-85D0-C85592FBCC7F.jpeg

1DAE5281-3A65-4F13-B8AA-0B520EA5CA57.jpeg

90A07074-DDE3-41FB-8EEE-C8D5DA7569C6.jpeg

D0332B1D-EC51-448B-80A2-4B5AB087C8C2.jpeg

65D6F72B-7409-4903-8E1A-7C051029A4B9.jpeg

4D201E2F-708F-4CE3-ADEB-D40AB036FCB2.jpeg

A little bit of winter snow up here in the northeast don’t seem so bad now. :eek: Kidding aside, Mother Nature pretty much leaves us alone compared with the rest of the US. :4315:Four months of cold but other than that she seems to point her hostility to the S/SE and out West. :dontknow:

• Like 1

How’d that transmission issue play out? I didn’t realize that truck was so new. My suggestion on jumping ship to Ford wouldn’t do you much good because they, GM/Ford co-built that ten speed tranny. :5146:

On 9/11/2020 at 11:32 AM, TEWKS said:

How’d that transmission issue play out? I didn’t realize that truck was so new. My suggestion on jumping ship to Ford wouldn’t do you much good because they, GM/Ford co-built that ten speed tranny. :5146:

Has heavy vibration at 1500-1700rpm, you know cruising speeds.  Anyway, it's being dropped off to GM today for a look-see.

The trip back was much better.  Fixed the trailer brakes, were so over loaded that over bumps, it snapped the wiring.  Methinks bad design as the wiring comes out at the upper middle of the wheel, then is sent straight up and parallel to the bumpstops, sooooo, under heavy squat-bounce, the wires would "bend" under the bumpstops, thus getting "cut-snapped".  They shoulda routed the wiring at an angle away from the bumpstops and put in the wire anchors to hold in such a way.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Glad to hear back. I was actually minutes from posting this...:grin:

4f9zfq.jpg

edit...not so much looking for an answer, just checking up on ya. ;)

Playing much catch up with around the house and around work thing.  Right now, listening to a seven hour conference call, which means I can deviate to my third screen for "stuff".

• Like 1