IGNORED

Introduction of new K100rs Owner

MBGator

Greetings and my first post. I've been on two wheels since about 1966 - Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and of course; Harley. I just inherited my brothers 1984 K100rs. He bought it new in Germany while in the military, shipped it home and has owned it ever since. 48,000km. The bike  has been sitting since 2004. He simply stopped riding. He recently passed away and left the bike to me. So...

It is complete, but has been partially disassembled for paint. I would like to get it running again. I remember the bike for its smooth ride (mid-1980's) and quick acceleration (compared to my 1989 Harley).

Suggestions for resurrecting this beast?  

Thanks!!

10 hours ago, MBGator said:

The bike  has been sitting since 2004. He simply stopped riding. He recently passed away and left the bike to me. So...

It is complete, but has been partially disassembled for paint. I would like to get it running again. I remember the bike for its smooth ride (mid-1980's) and quick acceleration (compared to my 1989 Harley).

Suggestions for resurrecting this beast?  

Thanks!!

Morning  MBGator

That is about 16 years of sitting so how it was stored, where it was stored, & what fluids were in it during storage are VERY BIG factors.

You didn't say how much it is disassembled so we sort of need to know that before we can give you specific advice.

In any case, the area on older BMW's that have been sitting/stored for longer periods is usually the fuel system. If it was stored with any alcohol containing fuel then the entire fuel system is probably now a big mess.

So, usually the fuel system is the place start your evaluation for amount of damage to that area. 

Start with a sniff of the inside of the fuel tank, if it smells strong & sour (that will usually tell you a LOT about the remainder of the fuel system's condition).

Next, see if the engine can be spun over by hand (if it is seized then you have some problems to deal with) & possibly more expense than the motorcycle is worth. 

Good morning Dirtrider. Sorry for the delay. I have no idea how he stored the bike, any fogging of the cylinders, etc. My brother had been riding the bike and told me the tach had become erratic. He removed the Instrument pod and shipped it to California for repair. 
Currently the mirrors are off, the ECM is removed, as is the battery and an air box. All parts, except the battery, are present.

Having been a gear head my entire life, I know that resurrecting this bike will be time consuming, and possibly expensive. But it was my brothers bike, and I would really like to have it back on the road.

Thanks!