IGNORED

Maybe moving to an RT from a GSA

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

HI all, have a 2016 GSA and am thinking about going back to an RT.  I've had three RTs, and three GSAs, but my last RT was in 2005.  Anyone else done this?  I'd like to hear from you.

If you haven't ridden an RT since 2005 you're going to be pleasantly surprised. Although, riding the 2016 GSA will have given away some of the surprise IYKWIM. The seat/peg relationship is a little tighter on the new gen RTs. No off-road in your future ride plans, I'd say go for it! :thumbsup:

I don't like the GS/GSA at all. They don't handle well compared to the KTM off road and on road they just aren't as good as a sport tour for long distance especially if 2-up. If you're not planning to go offroad, I wouldn't hesitate at all to go with the RT. YMMV

I chased Tewks ( OK, really just followed slowly ) on my RT over dirt, rocks, and gravel at the Lake George Un.  I prefer smooth roads myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Sorry Ken, it was only an inch on the map. :D

edit...IIRC you made it look pretty easy on that RT! :thumbsup:

It was more fear of dropping it then courage or skill keeping me upright and moving forward...

• Haha 1

I loved my 2014 GSA.  Put 72k miles on it in 5 years.  One trip was from Reno NV to New York and back.

I also had 2 RTs previously.

After shoulder surgery, I decided I did not want to risk the almost inevitable get-off in the dirt.  And at age 71 would prefer to cruise the asphalt.

Extremely happy with my '19 1250 RT.

Good luck!

I've never been flexible and my wethead RT was too hard on my knees. I traded it for a wethead GSA. Got the GSA instead of a GS for the range and weather protection, I've never worried about needing extra gas even on the TransLab section where it's 250+ miles between gas stations. GSA is much better for me. It took a while to be at peace with never leaving the pavement on my GSA, after all it's just a big naked standard with long-travel suspension. True, in the right hands it can do amazing things offroad but those hands aren't the ones on the end of my arms. I'm 67, break easy, and heal slow, and have no desire to learn new ways to drop a 600 lb bike. The bars are rather wide, you don't need that much leverage for a road bike, but they work for me.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WBinDE said:

I've never been flexible and my wethead RT was too hard on my knees. I traded it for a wethead GSA. Got the GSA instead of a GS for the range and weather protection, I've never worried about needing extra gas even on the TransLab section where it's 250+ miles between gas stations. GSA is much better for me. It took a while to be at peace with never leaving the pavement on my GSA, after all it's just a big naked standard with long-travel suspension. True, in the right hands it can do amazing things offroad but those hands aren't the ones on the end of my arms. I'm 67, break easy, and heal slow, and have no desire to learn new ways to drop a 600 lb bike. The bars are rather wide, you don't need that much leverage for a road bike, but they work for me.

Thank you for the knowledge you have shared. 

On 8/31/2020 at 7:51 PM, WBinDE said:

That's what made me decide on a GSA - the low version because I'm short, and I'm not going to be doing any triple jumps (except by accident).  The GSA has the right combination of weather protection and air movement for riding on warm days, and it makes me feel like I'm more 'in' the ride, rather than observing it.  And I love the big gas tank - no worries about gas just about anywhere in the lower 48. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, AdventurePoser said:

HI all, have a 2016 GSA and am thinking about going back to an RT.  I've had three RTs, and three GSAs, but my last RT was in 2005.  Anyone else done this?  I'd like to hear from you.

No but I had my friend's GSA for about a month in between two wet head RT's and GSA is not my bike. Getting on and off the RT is much easier due to lower suspension and the size of the side cases. Even at 6'3 it was easier for me to get on the foot peg with my left foot and only then swing my right leg over. I love the stereo on my RT and all the other farkles it comes with like central locking, an alarm system and more urban styling. I enjoy good roads and can tell you that RT is a more gentle bike in terms of others parallel parking next to it as it's plastic pretty much all around. Also, stock top case is larger on an RT.

Also, unless you by a mod, you won't be able to lock your Navigator with a key (the reason I still haven't pulled the trigger on one).