IGNORED

Protective film for TFT screen

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

Have any of you applied a protective film to the screen on your bike? Please let me know what you think of the result of you have, and what brand you used.

Thank you.

Del

I purchased protective film from Wunderlich USA for the instrument panel and the NAV6 GPS on my 16 R1200RS. Both do a good job and stop some of the glare I had on the instrument  panel. Overall I am pleased with this film.

Shelterwoods

Thank you for the help. Went to Speedo Angels and bought the product advertised by Wunderlich for a little over half.

Thanks again.

Del

Ditto on the Speedo Angels product. Have them on my R1250RT and on my wife's F800GT.

I too had bought it from Wunderlich not realizing they were reselling someone else's product for a ridiculous markup. 

041100s....I see Speedo offers this protector in plastic and something they call nano glass.  Im not worried too much about protections but would like the benefit of anti-glare which they say is only on their plastic version.  Do you recall which one you installed?

• 2 weeks later...

To Skywagon, sorry just got back to this. I installed the anti-glare on both the instrument panel and the NAV6. It does a good job and I am able to see the instrument panel better in sunlight. My NAV6 is mounted higher and at an angle so glare was not a big problem but i do see an improvement. 

That's weird. The NAV5 used to have reflection issues and difficulty to read the display in bright sunshine, but the NAV6 seems to have resolved that (for me).

I received and installed mine. It went on easily, though I practiced a few times before removing the backing and attaching. I can barely tell the difference after installing, and even bright sun doesn't cause any issues. 

I installed mine because of concern that I might absent mindedly were some grit of the screen and scratch it. Now if I do scratch the film, and it becomes noticable enough, I can just replace it.

Del

• 1 month later...

BMW sells one as well. It has a bit of a matte finish to it, so helps with the glare issue. I forget how much it added to the purchase price but it's BMW-branded so don't expect it to be inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to installing the screen protector from Speedo.  Even though it came from England, the time was only about 2 weeks....a pleasant surprise.  As in all film it was tedious getting all the water and air bubbles out but I did.  I bought it because it said it helped with glare.  I didn't care about the screen protection part.

I rode with it on the Nav V for the first time yesterday.  My experience is it actually made the glare and readability worse.  I had forgotten I put it on and wondered what was up with my GPS for the first 100 miles.  I stopped, took it off, cleaned the screen and my visibility was better.  YMMV.  It seems like a well made product and the kit it came in was good quality, but it didn't help me with glare or visibility.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/20/2020 at 1:45 PM, Skywagon said:

I finally got around to installing the screen protector from Speedo.  Even though it came from England, the time was only about 2 weeks....a pleasant surprise.  As in all film it was tedious getting all the water and air bubbles out but I did.  I bought it because it said it helped with glare.  I didn't care about the screen protection part.

Interesting. I hated the glare from the Nav5 on the R1250RS mount. The anti-glare Speedo Angel cut the glare nicel , but I had a hell of a time installing it and have several bubbles.

What's the secret to installing with no bubbles? (I followed Speedo's directions but must be bubble challenged.)

Mike

I had lots of bubbles too and I’m use to installing film. I got them out for a while but they kept coming back. After several months I just took the speedo off and threw it away.