IGNORED

DDM Tuning system

JEF

Hopefully somebody on this forum has an answer for my problem. 

I have a 2016 R1200RT that I installed the DDM Tuning Ultra Canbus HID kit a couple of years ago. All worked fine until late June when I noticed I had no front headlight. Luckily I have a good set of Denali LED light kits so I was able to drive home in the dark on that last ride.

I thought it was just a burnt out bulb, but it turned out that there was a bad ballast. Went thru the process of buying a new one and then they refunded me that purchase amount when I returned the defective ballast. Now the problems begin.

• Dealer gets it all set up the way he thinks it should be, but when I drive away from dealer the fault light for burned out headlight shows on bike's dash display
  •  
  • I never did check to see if the headlight was out when the fault light was coming on, all I saw was the fault light on my dash display
  • After the 4th time of leaving the dealer and coming back I left with them to make it work right
  • Dealer has to redo their work now. I pointed out DDM's warning of how the sequence of wiring has to be.
  • This past week I finally get the bike back, and it appears all is working fine.
  • NOPE...after about 10 or 15 minutes the main head light goes out...it is not putting out any light.
  • If I let the bike sit for awhile, when I start it up I have a properly functioning headlight...but 10-15 minutes later I have no headlight.

Any knowledge of what is going on?

If I need to replace the bulb, do I have to use their H7 bulb? or may I go to a NAPA, AZ, etc and purchase any H7 bulb?

TIA

John F

Cincinnati, OH

Most any H7 replacement bulb should work. 

My experience with aftermarket HID lights has shown me they are never all that reliable. In cars or bikes. Factory OEM HID lights in my vehicles have been 100% reliable. 

So, I went with LED aftermarket lighting and have not replaced that first LED bulb or had issues since it was installed. Consider going with LED?

• Like 1

Odd,

I've got this kit from DDM.  My 2006 is a CANBUS bike, and I've not received any errors.  I've had the thing on the bike for several years now with only one of the ballast going bad.

Is the Canbus that much different between 2006 and 2016?

Have no idea...I have no mechanical skills at all, nor do I want to become a mechanic. Prefer to just be a rider. Hopefully it is just a worn bulb that just happened to go bad the same time the ballast went bad.

Thanks for replying

To realshelby.

Do you have an LED headlight? My aux lights are LED from Denali. I have D7's and D2's, and of course on yesterday's ride the D2's stopped working!!! They have been on the bike less than a year. Have to sort that out as well as this headlight issue. Fun last night while returning home in the dark. The D7's are programmed to shut off when turn signal is used. With no headlight, and the D'2's not working that became very interesting when I signaled for a turn, got very dark out in front of me. Finally had to make turns without signalling.

John F

Cincinnati, OH

p.s. Love you windscreen. Works as it is designed to.

1 hour ago, JEF said:

To realshelby.

Do you have an LED headlight? My aux lights are LED from Denali. I have D7's and D2's, and of course on yesterday's ride the D2's stopped working!!! They have been on the bike less than a year. Have to sort that out as well as this headlight issue. Fun last night while returning home in the dark. The D7's are programmed to shut off when turn signal is used. With no headlight, and the D'2's not working that became very interesting when I signaled for a turn, got very dark out in front of me. Finally had to make turns without signalling.

John F

Cincinnati, OH

p.s. Love you windscreen. Works as it is designed to.

Not knocking, but I kinda find it funny that high dollar was spent for auxiliary lights, yet low dollar was spent for main lights:whistle:But then again, I ran with $14.95 Walmart auxiliary lights for quite some time and happy with them.

• Like 1

I bought one of the LED bulbs off Amazon a few years back. The ones with the braided copper heat sink. No CanBus issues, and no modifications to the bike are required. 

9 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I bought one of the LED bulbs off Amazon a few years back. The ones with the braided copper heat sink. No CanBus issues, and no modifications to the bike are required. 

Terry wasn't it this one https://stores.advmonster.com/h7-plus-led-headlight/ ?  I have it in my 14RT for about about 2 years works great plus the pattern it put out is also good. 

No, it wasn't that one. But after reading about all the attempts at LED conversion in the new RT's I am convinced the copper braided type are most likely to work well. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, realshelby said:

No, it wasn't that one. But after reading about all the attempts at LED conversion in the new RT's I am convinced the copper braided type are most likely to work well. 

Every LED conversion I have seen that works with no mods and keeping your dust caps intact is the braided ones you speak of.

I have experience with Cyclops LED on a Vulcan and it was simple and a very big upgrade for light output.  They rock but are fan driven.  So it worked well on the Vulcan headlight bucket but that RT light is a real PITA to work with and a fan driven LED will work great but not sure if you can keep your dust caps intact.