IGNORED

Turn Signal Function Question

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

I have an R1250RS and when I use my turn signals on the freeway to indicate a lane change, if I'm traveling less than 60 mph, the turn signals don't turn off. I've left them go for as much as 20 seconds, and they don't turn off.

In my manual, it says "the turn signal automatically turns off under the following conditions:
-Speed is under 18 mph (30 km/h): after traveling a distance of 165 ft (50 m).
-Speed is between 18 mph and 60 mph (30 km/h and 100 km/h): after covering a particular distance depending on the speed or when accelerating.
-Speed is above 60 mph (100 km/h): after turn signal flashes five times."Speed is between 18 mph and 60 mph (30 km/h and 100 km/h): after covering a particular distance depending on the speed or when accelerating."

Is this typical? Is there a technique I'm missing?

Del

I think Del is just wanting to know if his bike is behaving as documented or not.

I agree, the self-cancel is for those times you forget.  I just moved to an RT1250RT from and 1150RT and haven't developed the new muscle memory yet on cancelling (I still miss my paddle shifters) but I am glad there is an auto cancel to get me over the hump.

• 2 years later...

I have the opposite problem on my 2022 RT. When i travel on interstates ( example I-4 between Daytona Beach and Orlando)and I keep up with the flow of traffic I am averaging a good 80mph. When I go to make a lane change I put my turn indicator on, check over my shoulder and make my lane change. But very often the indicator has turned off already. I would prefer the auto cancel feature was disabled and I had to turn them off myself. I asked one of the owners at my dealer if it was possible to change the amount of time the signal stayed on or to get rid of it all together. He told me he thought it was possible on the K16's so while my bike was on the computer having the tpms woke up the tech looked for a way to change my signal time. He told me he couldn't find a way to change it. 

Has anyone had their signal time adjusted and if so where did the dealer find the way to do it?

7 hours ago, rounder jim said:

I have the opposite problem on my 2022 RT. When i travel on interstates ( example I-4 between Daytona Beach and Orlando)and I keep up with the flow of traffic I am averaging a good 80mph. When I go to make a lane change I put my turn indicator on, check over my shoulder and make my lane change. But very often the indicator has turned off already. I would prefer the auto cancel feature was disabled and I had to turn them off myself. I asked one of the owners at my dealer if it was possible to change the amount of time the signal stayed on or to get rid of it all together. He told me he thought it was possible on the K16's so while my bike was on the computer having the tpms woke up the tech looked for a way to change my signal time. He told me he couldn't find a way to change it. 

Has anyone had their signal time adjusted and if so where did the dealer find the way to do it?

Morning  rounder jim

The turn signal time/distance change is usually a few menus in so it isn't easy to find if the tec isn't used to doing it. I can't tell you exactly on the 2022  as I haven't done one yet.

In the mean time try holding your turn signal button over to the left or right  a little longer (not a quick press but a longer press) as that typically defeats the 5 flash auto-turn-of function (at least it did on older models).  

Thanks Dirtrider , I will try that. I think I read somewhere that on the 23 year models you can defeat the turn signal time using the wonder wheel and tft.

• 1 month later...
Motorhead1977

I have a 2018 RS and experience the same turn signal behavior. Below 20 mph or above 60 mph they self cancel. Between 20 and 60 mph they don't seem to do that but I can't say for certain. I usually just turn them off manually in most instances anyway. Once it warms up here again (April) I'll pay more attention to the 20-60 mph behavior.