IGNORED

Sorry to say, CalSci sucks!

Pbgunrunner

Ok, I'm not one to pick on a company for putting out an occasional bad product.  But I sent them pictures and gave them a chance to make things right....

The good is I ordered my shield sun pm and had it here Tues pm. And it DOES give a much nicer dead air space w no buffeting compared to the stock one for me. The bad part is as follows- the top half has the edges nicely polished and smooth. The bottom half is rough as a cob, theres chipping and flashing on the edges, the corners both on the outside and inside the vent look like they were cut with a hacksaw. And one of the holes has a line that sure looks like a crack starting.  So I took the attatched pics and sent them in an email voicing my concern. This was their response- 

Hi Chad,

These are cut by a laser. There are small marks from the CNC starting and stopping. We polish those off the top and sides. We can't polish the vent, there's no effective way to get in there.

Mark

No "hey, sorry,  that sucks". No "let us make it right". I cant imagine Mark even looked at the pics judging from his response. If he did and that's ok by his standards then I guess everyone needs to know! So here are the pics, If I'm off base please tell me so. Im going to go get some fine paper and wet sand it and see if i can at least make it look better. 

20200813_173701.jpg

20200813_173549.jpg

20200813_173507.jpg

20200811_180028.jpg

20200811_175755.jpg

Smooth the edges if you like, but leave a matte finish.  Clear edges will concentrate sunlight like a magnifying glass,  causing damaged paint and melted plastics.

• Like 1

I have some acrylic stuff with edges like that - but that's because I made the stuff and I don't know what I'm doing (and most of the acrylic edges I've done look better than those). Yikes. 

I would send it back. I wouldn’t put that on my bike. Does your factory shield look like that?  No it doesn’t. Take a picture of your factory one beside theirs and send them that picture. Ask why the difference

Had they responded to my pictures and my email with something other than "that's how we do it" in the first place I wouldn't have posted this at all. I dont think sending a pic of the stock windshield will impress them. Im really surprised,  they had a reputation for a good product.  

I really don't know what to say about this! It does look like it has been cut by a laser ( or Oxy-Acetylene torch!). I don't know why you would want to use that to shape a screen? Using a CNC cutter with proper cutting bit leaves a very accurate smooth line that takes little polishing. I cannot imagine it would not be cheaper to operate than a laser....but I don't know for sure. 

Regardless, you can get in there to smooth the vent hole. Even if you have to use hand tools. 

I do like polished edges. Never known an issue from doing that.

I have literally cut prototypes with a jig saw and had a better edge finish than what is in the pictures.......

Pb...regardless of whether they look at your pictures or not.  I would send that turd back and lob a claim with credit card company for faulty product.  Credit card will take your word for it and CalSci will have to resolve.  I don't like getting cheated.....and you did,

• Thanks 3

If'n you don't want it, you can donate it to me,......I'm a function over form kinda guy and if it works,.....well, it works:18:

You really shouldn't have to do the work yourself. I have cut a few plastic windscreens, and even the raw edges were better than in those photos.

Start with a fairly coarse grit,  60, or 80 to smooth the edges down, then switch to wet sanding first with 100 grit, then 150, 220, 400, which should leave a nice matte finish, without any scratches or imperfections. Don't forget to chamfer the edges so nothing is sharp. "Accidents" happen, so I usually mask both sides of the plastic with masking tape, up to ~1/10 from the edge. 

Have fun.:18:

• Like 2

That lack of quality and attention to basic detail is a joke.  

I've cut almost every shield I've ever had on a bike going back to my Vetter fairing.  I did them all with a jig saw followed by filing and sanding.  The finished product was exactly what you'd expect when compared to a new factory shield.  The process is really quite easy especially since you are not cutting, only smoothing.

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought a CalSci windshield for his F750GS.  The guy at CalSci was very helpful with the pre-purchase with installation help, and went belligerent and then silent when my friend decided it wasn't the right screen for him and wanted to take advantage of their satisfaction guarantee and send it back for a refund.

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The first mod I have made on 5 bikes was to add a Calsci screen. They were excellent. The 6 was ordered last year and arrived in the same condition as you describe. It was so bad I sliced my finger on the edge. I emailed Mark... never had a response. I would have accepted an apology and continued as a happy customer. Never again. 

47 minutes ago, cwillson said:

The first mod I have made on 5 bikes was to add a Calsci screen. They were excellent. The 6 was ordered last year and arrived in the same condition as you describe. It was so bad I sliced my finger on the edge. I emailed Mark... never had a response. I would have accepted an apology and continued as a happy customer. Never again. 

That’s really a shame. I wonder what happened/is happening...

And now I've recieved a reply from the owner, here it is, in its entirety,  without modification- 

gee, lemme see if I get this.

You don't wanna send it back for a refund. Easy to understand, 'cause the other shields for your bike don't get close to our performance. But you would like to do your best to drive me out of business, making certain as best you can that you have the last shield from me.

Show quoted text

And my reply- 

I wasn't offered a refund, nor was the problem I identified and documented with the same pictures I posted on the web pages even acknowledged.  All I got was "they are laser cut and we can't polish the vent". So damn straight Im going to let my fellow riders know you sent me a crappy product and didn't take ownership of the issue.  YOUR product and YOUR  lack of service is what will drive you out of business.  I sincerely hope for you and your employees this is a wake up call. When someone comes to you with a legitimate issue you don't blow them off. Shit happens,  I get it. Occasionally a bad one gets out. But the RIGHT  response would have been "sorry, thats not what we want out there, heres an RA number and FedEx tag, ill make you a new one". THAT would have avoided ANY of this. And I DID reach out to you FIRST. 
BTW, with $20 worth of sandpaper and sponges and an hours worth of time the shield is usable. But Im still unhappy with both having to do it and both of your responses. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

With the advent of the internet, social media and the like, one would figure a business might want to think about how they respond (or fail) to a complaint from one of their customers.  Chances are that "business" is already running on borrowed time.    The way I read his reply was "what does he have to lose at this point.?"  So no trying to smooth things over, seems like.   I mean, why even mention  the "drive me out of business" comment?   Starts to sound like it is getting personal.   Oh, my.

I've owned 2 Calsci shields. The first was great (R1200RT) the second, (Triumph Trophy SE), scratched just looking at it. Both were designed correctly in terms of eliminating wind buffeting but visually, they were both sub-par. It is what it is...

I think there are a lot of us here that do or have owned businesses. I bet most have not sent a reply like that to anyone - no matter how much we may have wanted to. From a business standpoint, no response at all would be been better than that. That guy definitely sounds at the end of his rope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so this sounds like a plug, but I have to tell the story.  My signature line will tell you about my business, so I won't even mention the name.  Once in a while, say, oh, once in every 200 Reflective Kits, the vinyl cutter will finish the pattern with the cutting blade about 1/100th of an inch short of its original insertion point.  This leaves a tiny tang on the edge of the vinyl after it's been weeded (weeding is the removing of the non-essential vinyl, leaving you with a final product).  Something so miniscule and rare, yet I look for and catch these tangs during weeding and hand cut the tangs with a fine blade.  Once done, I can't even see where they used to be.  But over 21 years, two have slipped past me that I know of, and that's because the customers saw them when they received the product.  One was an international order to France, the other was domestic (I remember both clearly, because I was embarrassed that they slipped past my QC).  In both instances, the customers asked for a replacement of just the reflective piece that had the tang.  And in both instances, they were sent brand new complete reflective kits.  OK, so bully for me (brag, brag).  But that's not the point.  The point is that you never, never, NEVER disrespect a customer with a legitimate issue.  When there's a mistake you go out of your way to OVERSERVE the customer, both because it's right and also because they've been inconvenienced.  You have their money, but they didn't get your very best.  In other cases, I don't know how many reflective pieces I've replaced for customers who've emailed me that they installed the kit perfectly, "except for just this one piece, and do I (they) have to buy a whole new kit. . ."  Customer error.  But I'll cover the cost of the vinyl simply because I know they're why I'm in business.

To be treated as you said you were by CalSci, particularly with such compelling evidence as shown in your photographs, is INEXCUSABLE.  Customers are our lifeblood, and they are GOLD.  I strongly urge you to take advantage of CalSci's return policy and look elsewhere for a windshield.  Board member Real Shelby, who posted above, is one of the first I'd call.  Great guy.  Great products.  And he's one of us.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have to say , the company is at least short sited , I am looking for a new shield and from these pictures and the response to the Op ( customer ) I will look elseware.

Lost sales so far 1 

My only experience with CalSci was several years ago when I ordered a windscreen for my Yamaha S10. Ordering,  shipping and delivery experience was fine, but when installed, the bottom edge on one side was touching the fairing and caused a small “rub” on the plastic fairing. I took pics and called them to discuss the issue. The response was: “ if you don’t like it, send it back”. I did so and my money was refunded, except for shipping, which I had to eat. Haven’t done business with them since.

23 hours ago, Pbgunrunner said:

gee, lemme see if I get this.

You don't wanna send it back for a refund. Easy to understand, 'cause the other shields for your bike don't get close to our performance. But you would like to do your best to drive me out of business, making certain as best you can that you have the last shield from me.

These are the words of someone running a company rapidly into the ground.  I don't need a screen, but if I did, CalSci would not be on my short list.

• 1 month later...

I am a bit of a stickler when it comes to Customer Service. I mean, if you are going to start a business in the customer service industry, you better do your damn job... When it comes to situations like this, I tend to be a tad... (how should I phrase this)... "overly spiteful" and passive aggressive. Like the golden rule says, Treat Others The Way You Want To Be Treated". So if they want to treat me like that, be prepared for war. 

If I were you, I would contact the Better Business Bureau and file an official complaint, and follow up with them periodically. I have had good success with them and found them to be very effective for situations like this. I would ALSO contact the Chamber of Commerce wherever he/his company is located and file a complaint with them. I have even gone as far as filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (which I would do if CalSci acted like that to me). If you decide to contact the FTC, make sure you notify that gentleman at CalSci that you are doing so. Once they see how serious you are, they usually do everything they can to rectify the problem before having to deal with any of the organizations I mentioned. 

Taking your business elsewhere and warning other potential customers so the company misses out on a sale is one thing (and probably the mature thing), but reminding them that they, themselves, are ruining their own business and making them think twice before screwing over a customer is a much more effective tactic in my book.

I appreciate it. But I'm letting it go with these posts on a few sites. I spent an hour with a bunch of sandpaper and finished it (which they said they couldn't). Im done stressing about it. They will be done soon enough.  

• Like 1

So, would you guys say the shields worked as advertised (other than the QC issue I mean)? I've been in the market for a good shield that minimizes the buffeting I get and i don't really care about that kind of cosmetic issue (not saying at all that the complaints aren't justified, they are).

Pappy, I’m about 3 rides in on the Werks screen put out by member Realshelby, but I’m very happy with the performance of it, and quality of the product. My $0.02.

• Like 1

Go with Werks. I wish I had. Even with the stuff not being finished, you still have the issues of the cracks starting in places. I sanded them out, but Id still not suggest you risk it.  

16 minutes ago, Pbgunrunner said:

Go with Werks. I wish I had. Even with the stuff not being finished, you still have the issues of the cracks starting in places. I sanded them out, but Id still not suggest you risk it.  

Not an option as they don't support anything but the current Wetheads.

I would suggest the Vstream windshield (Ztechnik) if Werks does not make one for your bike. Quality product and organization. I have one on my GS with very good results.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with California Scientific was good, even with a return and a request for a larger windshield.  The 02 R1150R, came with the original sport touring windshield, which I replaced several years ago due to scratches.  The original was made, I think, by Z Technik, and they supplied the identical replacement windshield.  It looked great, but I was still bothered by low frequency noise and turbulent flow at the helmet.  Then last year, I ordered the California Scientific windshield and different mounting brackets, but after installation, found that it needed it to be taller.  They took the return, and provided the X large screen, which I think works well to take away almost all turbulence.  I'm sympathetic to the finishing issues from the OP's post, but the windshield I have from them is finished very well, without gouges or edge irregularities, including the two cutouts.   Just my experience.