IGNORED

2010 R1200RT with 160 000Km

MagYukon

Hi,

In my hunt for my first R1200RT, I found a 2010 which seems to have pretty much every option available (radio, cruise, Electronic suspension, heated seat and handle).

at 160 000Km, is it something I should go for it or avoid ?

at 5 500$ CAD, it's a lot cheaper than anything else I've seen, but should I be afraid of the high milleage ?  What should I look for as far as it's condition or maintenance ?

Thanks

While I wouldn’t rule out a 160k KM BMW just because of the mileage, I’d want it to be a *really* good price. I don’t known what prices are where you are, but a quick search here finds three bikes near(ish) me with 1/2 the mileage for only $1500 or so (USD) more. 

If that bike had good maintenance history and looked to be in great shape, I’d consider it - but maybe for more like $4000 CD. Or less. Without a great maintenance history I’d want it to be really cheap. 

• Like 1

Well the OP is on the other side of the border so getting that one Pat shows will be difficult to say the least. And I dont know ewhere they get 401pounds DRY? Is gas and oil that heavy to bring it up to 560 wet?

How is ESA after 160K Kilometers; expensive if it needs replacement

For what I can see actually here in Canada (going to the US, with 1.35 exchange rate and import taxes is really not an option), my choices are:

All being R1200RT with about same equipment (it looks like all RT sold here have ESA, which on my understanding can be the worts thing to replace if it goes bad ?)

• 2010, 160K Km = 5 500$
  • 2011, 47K Km, 9 500$
  • 2012, 72K Km, 10 500$
  • 2012, 35K Km = 12 500$

I'm just wandering what High milleage is TOO high milleage for that kind of bike.

On a car, I won't be afraid of that milleage, but i'm completely new to the bike world.

Regarding the ESA, if it goes bad, can it be disabled for a conventionnal ssupension ?

Thanks, your inputs are really appreciated.

Personally that 2011 may be the best option if your wallet can afford it. Can you ask each of the sellers to send you a video of their bikes? Ask them to start the engine and do a walk around of all the body work . Do any have GPS, trunk bag, extra lights or tip-over bars? I have heard the comments a thousand times add-ons mean nothing, but it is an individual choice.

If possible also ask for the VIN or at least the last 7 gigits. Use this to see what the factory options were: https://www.mdecoder.com/decode

Good luck

I just bought a R1200RT 2012 full equipped with 95 000 kms for $9600 CDN. Michelin tires were new. There is a comfort seat and a big top case. The bike was at a used car dealer. Maintenance was done yearly at the BMW dealer. This car dealer took my old 2003 R1150RT with 132 000 kms which was mint and gave me $3500 + taxes. My new 2012 R1200RT is strictly the best bile I owned (I had 22 bikes in my life) I only regret I didn't change my old 2003 sooner. even if I didn't have too much troubles with my old bike. Good luck.

The ESA can also be updated for less than conventional shocks will cost. (BeemerShop)

I also think the 2011 is the way to go of the three you listed.........

On 8/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, BobW03 said:

Personally that 2011 may be the best option if your wallet can afford it. Can you ask each of the sellers to send you a video of their bikes? Ask them to start the engine and do a walk around of all the body work . Do any have GPS, trunk bag, extra lights or tip-over bars? I have heard the comments a thousand times add-ons mean nothing, but it is an individual choice.

If possible also ask for the VIN or at least the last 7 gigits. Use this to see what the factory options were: https://www.mdecoder.com/decode

Good luck

I tried the website mdecoder.com, but i always get an message that I've reached limit for the day ???

Remember those are asking prices, how long have they been up for sale? Suggest you look at a couple and hear them running, patience and research will help make a choice. Vehicles that sit a lot are not always a good deal, the 2010 looks like regularly driven, averages out to 16k per season, if it starts and runs good, is certified, has been for sale for awhile, offer $4,000 see how owner responds. Can be hard to sell high mileage vehicles.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, MagYukon said:

Hi,

In my hunt for my first R1200RT, I found a 2010 which seems to have pretty much every option available (radio, cruise, Electronic suspension, heated seat and handle).

at 160 000Km, is it something I should go for it or avoid ?

at 5 500$ CAD, it's a lot cheaper than anything else I've seen, but should I be afraid of the high milleage ?  What should I look for as far as it's condition or maintenance ?

Thanks

The mileage is likely touring/highway mileage so the wear/tear is likely to be less.  I think the slightly more expensive with 47K is the better buy unless you are your own mechanic.  Other than odd failures, higher mileage bikes will start to need rebuilds/replace of the fuel system (throttle bodies, fuel injectors) and suspension (new shocks, brake discs) which are not too expensive if you DIY but very expensive if you have to pay shop rates.

The biggest concern I would have with the clutch. It could be close to needing replacement. My 2007 RT still had the original clutch at 140k miles when I traded in. However, my 2011 RT needed a new clutch at 108k miles.

I found something else but i'm a little confused.

There is a R1200RT that came up with 70 000Km and the actual owner said that it is a 2014 90 jahre.  Searching the web, it looks like that edition was in 2013 and not 2014 ?

For about the same equipment, is this 90 jahre edition is worth 800$ more than another one ?

I finally found a 2013 R1200RT with 34 000Km at 12.8K$ CAN.

Seems to have everything except the radio.  Is it something that we can add ?

I tried to run mdecoder.com but for that particular serial number, i doesn't work.  Any other suggestion to where I can look for a complete options list for that bike ?

5 minutes ago, MagYukon said:

Seems to have everything except the radio.  Is it something that we can add ?

Yup, you can. This  and This . :thumbsup: I’ll never spend another dollar on a motorcycle audio system.

Communicate with other riders/passenger

Music from multiple places

GPS voice prompts 

Hello everyone,

Based on your comments and a little more $ on my budget, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 R1200RT with 34 000Km.

It is in very very good condition.  no scratch at all.

Cruise, heated grip and seats, ESC, both tire new, rear brake pad new (actually not even on the bike but in hands)

I'm trying to find suggested maintenance base on its KM.  where can I find it ?

$_59.png

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, MagYukon said:

Hello everyone,

Based on your comments and a little more $ on my budget, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2013 R1200RT with 34 000Km.

It is in very very good condition.  no scratch at all.

Cruise, heated grip and seats, ESC, both tire new, rear brake pad new (actually not even on the bike but in hands)

I'm trying to find suggested maintenance base on its KM.  where can I find it ?

$_59.png

Nice bike!

Here is the maintenance schedule Click Here!

• Like 1