IGNORED

Sena 20S Evo won't turn on?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Rode last Saturday, and once I was on the road I realized my Sena 20S Evo wouldn’t turn on.  Thought it was just a dead battery, but today I charged it full and it still won’t turn on.  Tried updating firmware, still won’t turn on.  Tried “fault reset” and “factory reset” from here, no response.  Was able to successfully update the firmware last night, so I know it’s not brain-dead, but no idea what to do next.  Any suggestions?

This would fix it for me.

Hammer - Wikipedia

I'm not too terribly impressed with the 20S.  The 10H, never a complaint, but the 20S, meh.

I'm currently running into connection/mating issues whereas the 20S does not want to "seat" properly.  From my old days of dealing with radios, I've "erasered" the connections, but that doesn't seem to fix the issue.

I'll likely move away from Sena and go to the Cardo Paltalk Bold.

Oh, no other suggestions except to ping Sena,....their customer service is actually great.

Joe Frickin' Friday

:dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap::dopeslap:

Never mind.  It turns out I'm an idiot.  I use this thing so rarely that I actually forgot how.  I thought it was just the one rubber button on the back of the unit to turn it on.  Turns out you have to press that button AND the jog-wheel center button at the same time.  Powers up just fine.  

I've only had three trips so far where I've actually used it, and the most recent time was last fall.  I'll write the instructions on my tank before my next trip.  :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just for the record, Sena and Cardo are kind of like Ford and Chevy; some love one and hate the other depending on your viewpoint. For me, Sena has been just fine.

• Like 1

Well if the memory faded on how to turn it on, I highly suspect you won't remember the sync process if you have a nav v and bmw audio system.  Here is the video on how to do it.  It works every time after this.

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Well if the memory faded on how to turn it on, I highly suspect you won't remember the sync process if you have a nav v and bmw audio system.  Here is the video on how to do it.  It works every time after this.

Thanks, but I've got a Garmin Zumo 95. They were synced when at FART last fall, so I'm guessing that's still the case - but I'll check on that, thanks for reminding me.

RandyShields
6 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I use this thing so rarely that I actually forgot how. 

With the Covid virus and hot afternoons in the Carolinas, I haven't been riding much and neither have my riding friends.  Last time we got together, the guy who was always on top of how to sync these together forgot and we had to pull out the manual.  Secretly, I had to review the manual for pretty routine operations before the last few times I used the device.  Definitely a perishable skill set.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

With the Covid virus and hot afternoons in the Carolinas, I haven't been riding much and neither have my riding friends.  Last time we got together, the guy who was always on top of how to sync these together forgot and we had to pull out the manual.  Secretly, I had to review the manual for pretty routine operations before the last few times I used the device.  Definitely a perishable skill set.

C'mon, this weeks been cool, three weeks ago, the bike temp read 105*,.....but being the temp-o-meter reader is only a short distance from the pavement, the more accurate was in the mid-90's,.......only time heat is a factor, is when stopped, riding, it's just a warm summer breeze.

• Like 1
RandyShields
14 hours ago, Rougarou said:

C'mon, this weeks been cool, three weeks ago, the bike temp read 105*,.....but being the temp-o-meter reader is only a short distance from the pavement, the more accurate was in the mid-90's,.......only time heat is a factor, is when stopped, riding, it's just a warm summer breeze.

Three day ride scheduled for next week!  I guess I will have to review those Sena instructions again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/12/2020 at 5:23 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Never mind.  It turns out I'm an idiot.  I use this thing so rarely that I actually forgot how.  I thought it was just the one rubber button on the back of the unit to turn it on.  Turns out you have to press that button AND the jog-wheel center button at the same time. 

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same problem a year or so ago on my first ride without having used it in months.  But I had the manual on my phone via Dropbox and was able to look up the solution before my ride was over.

• 3 weeks later...

Cardo makes a "Pocket Guide" that can be downloaded or printed with very simple instructions on most functions.  It's easy to refer to and use either way.  I keep a copy in the tank bag as I find that a printed copy is quicker and easier.

This is the POCKET GUIDE for the PACKTALK:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cardosystems.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fguides%2Fpocket%2Fen%2Fpacktalk.pdf

Maybe SENA has something similar.