IGNORED

2010 to 2013 R1200RT ?

MagYukon

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a R1200RT and looking for the 2010 to 2013 generation.

I'm trying to find information about specific option list for those years as to find out what was available from the dealer and so decide which used that i will find will be more equipped.

After a lot of seaching on the web, i'm still confused at this.

I was thinking about official brochure from BMW for those years but even for that, I have no luck finding something.

And also, from your experience, is there somtheing absolutly required and something absolutly not ?

That will not only be my first BMW bike, but my really first bike.  At 48, I thought it's now or never to have one :)

thanks for your inputs ! 

Cam head, good choice in my opinion.  I've had an oil head, hex head and now a 2013 cam head putting 80k on the first two and 60 on the latter and by far the cam head is the most trouble free and refined.  The three options I recall are the tire pressure monitor, radio and alarm system.  TPS is mandatory in my book and has saved me several times, and it is optional so make sure it's there.  I also like the radio as i need music on long road trips and the radio allows adding an ipod/usb stick and is also wired to accept the BMW Navigator GPS units.  That part works nice as the Nav directions overlay the music perfectly.  I don't use the alarm but it was bundled with the radio.

Good luck with your hunt!

There is a low suspension model may or may not apply to you. Mine has it all (I bought it used that way) except ESA which you can't get on a low version. 

First-ever motorcycle? OK. This is a big, heavy, and FAST machine for a total newbie but not unmanageable if you have a healthy serving of survival instinct and have gotten the "I gotta go fast" thing out of your system. I met a guy at a training class once whose dream it was to get a Hayabusa as his first ride. Translation: "I'm a walking organ donor."  DOn't be that guy. The RT can go as fast as your right wrist will tell it to go but, if you can control that urge, it'll serve you well. It handles great but is not twitchy. Has LOTs of power, but is easily controlled. ABS is standard.

In my opinion, and for your safety, don't get hung up on radios and fancy suspension (rear shock alone is $2,500 to replace with an OEM version and still too much for aftermarket). Those things are distractions and that's something even experienced riders don't need but have to much of. Cruise control, heated seats (if you live in a cold climate), and TPMS are on my must-have list. I have the trip computer which provides data like fuel economy and other such things which is handy. 

After saying all that, in the used market you generally find fully-featured rigs because the people that buy them new generally like to get all the bells and whistles. I bet 90% of all the newer used RTs (2010-present) are all configured about the same and vary only in color, mileage, and maintenance practices. The Camhead is a great choice. I bought mine (my first-ever BMW) two years ago (I'm 55 now) and could have gotten any one I wanted but I chose a 2013 rather than one of the newer ones. There's LOTS of experience on here and on other BMW motorcycle forums. Use the search feature and get educated. They are all SOLID machines that will serve you well.

MOST IMPORTANT OPTION FOR A NEW RIDER is: Go to a Harley Davidson dealer (or your local community college) and sign up for the BRC (Basic Rider Course). I took the HD class as a refresher before I bought my RT and it was great. I've ridden 100,000 miles in my life but after being off a bike for 8 years, it was just what I needed. If you've never ridden a street bike, even more so. Seriously, if you don't get some training on a small, light, unbreakable motorcycle, you ARE going to hurt yourself and the bike. DO NOT SKIP THIS.

Best of luck.

Some options, like heated grips and seats, can be added after the fact so if you find a good one not so equipped you don't necessarily have to skip it. Looking at that link, a lot of those options are included in package (like the "Premium" package, etc.).

Thnaks for all your information.  Really appreciated.

Here, in Quebec, training course for motorcycle riding is mandatory.  We need to have 16 hours of riding in a parking lot with a lot of really slow riding to be able to control the bike.  After, we have 12 hours on the road.

I read a lot about the RT and my conclusion is that this is probably one of the most easy to control one.  I don't want to go fast.  Which probably have been different 20 years ago.  I just want something confortable for long run and storage place for a few days trip.

40 minutes ago, MagYukon said:

I read a lot about the RT and my conclusion is that this is probably one of the most easy to control one.  I don't want to go fast.  Which probably have been different 20 years ago.  I just want something comfortable for long run and storage place for a few days trip.

Then you have picked probably the best motorcycle in the world for that mission. Be sure to post up any questions you might have, we all want to help you and welcome you to the community.

• 1 month later...

Agree with everything Pappy35 said.

I just upgraded R1150RT to a 2013 model.  My BMW mechanic (who runs an awesome independent shop in Seattle focused on Beemers old and new) says the camhead is the best and most reliable engine BMW has produced.  And you you really need shift assist and hill assist?  Just more things that can break.

Manual transmission and pulling out of 1st from a dead stop on a hill is one of the great pleasures of cycling.  It's a nice machine!

• 2 months later...

I would add if not too late, the 2010 can have the unreliable fuel strip sensor, the later versions went back to the tried and true mechanical fuel sensor and have the wonder wheel as well.  I"d look harder for a '12 or '13 than a '10.

I would second all of the opinions thus far.  To add my own 2cts, I thought I would always ride my 1999 RT forever  Great bike, simple, powerful, good handling.  So last year, so friends and I were riding in Nowhere, WY when my fuel pump died.  After 3 hrs by the side of the road, the tow truck finally showed.  Eventually got back home to Helena, MT and repaired the fuel pump.  All this while, thinking 'Hey I'm not getting any younger (66) and I'd like to get something a little more advanced'.  That being said, I was a little concerned about all the electronics on the newer models.  As mentioned, ASC shock are expensive  to replace.  Plus radio, cruise, ESC, CANBUS.  But I figured, at my age, I'll take it to the shop if anything fails that I can't handle.  Found a 2013 and test rode it.  WOW is all I can say.  Light, well balanced and fast!  Didn't even dicker with the owner, paid asking price.  

I have a shop at my home and do my own maintenance.  I've had it into the shop once for valve adjust (didn't want to deal with the "hemispherical" shims) and throttle body sync.  $300.00.  I've put on over 10k miles in the last year.

You mention you want a radio.  Unless you have custom in-ear earplugs, the helmet speakers that come with a Sena will not be adequate.  I do listen to music (thumbdrive hookup or radio) and can hear the music, but it's not high quality.  At lower speeds, it's ok, but freeway speed, fugget about it.

I really love having real cruise control.  I had a Atlas throttle lock on my 1999 RT and it was adequate, but true cruise is the way to go for those long superslab rides.  Also, having Electronic Suspension Adjustment is freaking great.  Sport setting for the twisties, Normal for most everything else, Confort for the slab.  It truly makes the ride customizable.

Which all leads up to my riding buddies getting tired of hearing over the com: 'Have I told you guys how great this bike is?'

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MontanaMark said:

Found a 2013 and test rode it.  WOW is all I can say.  Light, well balanced and fast!  Didn't even dicker with the owner, paid asking price.  

Ditto. I could have bought any motorcycle I wanted. Rode a used '13 Black Beauty once at the dealer, instant sale!