IGNORED

Any regrets going from a RT to a RS, for those who have done so?

paRTy

I moved from an '11 RT to a '16 RS.  It took me a while, but I finally figured out that I am just not a fan of bikes the SIZE of an RT.  The RT handled and ran exceptionally but I just couldn't deal with the enormosity of it.  Plus, any temperature over about 85 deg F and it was too warm.  Living in Texas made that a constant.  At one (brief) point I even thought about quitting bikes while I had the RT.  That's how bad it was.  I have now almost 65,000 miles on two separate RS's and not looking back.

Frank

• Like 1
2 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

I moved from an '11 RT to a '16 RS.  It took me a while, but I finally figured out that I am just not a fan of bikes the SIZE of an RT.  The RT handled and ran exceptionally but I just couldn't deal with the enormosity of it.  Plus, any temperature over about 85 deg F and it was too warm.  Living in Texas made that a constant.  At one (brief) point I even thought about quitting bikes while I had the RT.  That's how bad it was.  I have now almost 65,000 miles on two separate RS's and not looking back.

Frank

Thanks Frank, appreciate the feedback.

I'm guessing that having 2 RS' you like the feedback from the bike. I read sometimes folks think the RS is a bit sluggish in twisties, etc. Some say that the RT might even handle better.?

I'm looking for lighter/smaller also, but don't want a hard bike to steer. I read it's great on sweepers, but my true love is twisties. I'm too old for a real light "twisty" bike, and also like the idea of luggage when wanted. So, this is what brings me towards the RS.

Any other thoughts on ride would be appreciated in advance if you have more.

thx.bb

RS is sluggish?  RT handles better?  Only RT diehards would say that.  I love the RS in the twisties, the twistier the better.  The limits are the tires and rider skill.

Frank

• Like 2
5 hours ago, paRTy said:

Thanks Frank, appreciate the feedback.

I'm guessing that having 2 RS' you like the feedback from the bike. I read sometimes folks think the RS is a bit sluggish in twisties, etc. Some say that the RT might even handle better.?

I'm looking for lighter/smaller also, but don't want a hard bike to steer. I read it's great on sweepers, but my true love is twisties. I'm too old for a real light "twisty" bike, and also like the idea of luggage when wanted. So, this is what brings me towards the RS.

Any other thoughts on ride would be appreciated in advance if you have more.

thx.bb

You should really try a GS!   I have had 3 along with an RT and while I love the RT for my longer trips (a week or more)  the GS is without a doubt the best handling bike I have owned.   Everyone I know who has gone from a RT or K1600GT to a GS has never looked back and the GS can do everything the RT can do and handles better.  And no you don't need to take a GS in the mud.  My GS never goes off road but I love it on trips to the mountains or when we are riding all backroads. 

It really is work a look 

• Like 1

I tend to err towards edd's comments. For me, the RS is a waste of space, it offers nothing that can't be achieved on a Wethead RT. However, to ring the changes, the GS opens up other avenues!

Went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS, I never looked back and the GS made motorcycling exciting again.  And the cherry is by dumb luck I sat on a low and bought it that day. 

The GS runs a top case and tank bag in every day running. On a trip I add the Vario bags and a 70 liter Ortlieb on the back seat and have more room then I need.  The bike looks great with no bags, and is all that in the twisties. 

Big enough to hold the road but light enough to throw around corners.  And it will lay over in corners as far as you have the heart, and your tires have the grip. 

Love my GS.

2 hours ago, LAF said:

Went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS, I never looked back and the GS made motorcycling exciting again. 

I have read that putting a set of street tires on a GS makes it a very capable sport bike.  However, at this point of life I lean toward greater wind/weather protection so currently have riden RTs...but am curious if the RS would elevate the fun factor on twisty roads.

• Like 1

thanks for all the feedback.

I agree the GS is a fun bike for sure. I had a 2001GS and loved it, but could not get used to the 19" wheel up front. I liked the quicker feel/response of the 17" wheel up front from all the other RT's I've had. Just a personal preference.

I too am wondering if the RS will bring back the fun factor.......

Actually deciding between the R & the RS, but gravitating more toward the RS.

+1 for the Wethead R1200R.  With the BMW touring windscreen, the R can do everything the RS can do, and does it more comfortably.

https://ridermagazine.com/2015/11/05/2015-bmw-r-1200-r-2016-r-1200-rs-road-test/

For my money, this is accurate....

"If you’ve got your eye on the new R 1200 R, don’t let the salesperson steer you toward the RS unless you really like its sportier seating position. The two bikes are basically identical except for the fairing and lower bars on the RS, and you can always add an aftermarket windscreen to the R for some wind protection. With its lighter weight, better handling and more comfortable ergonomics—not to mention lower cost—the R 1200 R is the better boxer brother."

6 hours ago, Paul De said:

I have read that putting a set of street tires on a GS makes it a very capable sport bike.  However, at this point of life I lean toward greater wind/weather protection so currently have riden RTs...but am curious if the RS would elevate the fun factor on twisty roads.

Honestly with the right windshield and set up the GS is a nice package with very good wind protection.  As good as the RT?  Nope ... but certainly as good as the R or RS and if you get the GSA the wind protection is close to the RT.   And about tires ... .HA!   The new GS's come with tires that anyone would look at as street treads.   More GS owners might not admit it but I suspect are like me and rarely venture off road.  

Don' t get me wrong the R and RS are nice bikes for sure and can be very nicely outfitted for touring but if you are looking for a lighter great handling, do anything motorcycle .. the GS is hard to beat. 

Well, there you go.....now you have me thinking I have to put the GS in the mix again. (smiley face)

Going to check them all out in comparison demo test rides hopefully this weekend.

I suppose it would be foolish not to try them all before making a decision.

BTW, if the Kawasaki 1000sx had a center stand and no chain, that would also be in the mix.

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The updated 2020 Ninja 1000sx is a great bike and a bargain.  But I also have little desire to oil chains.

Damn, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Kawi,  Having ridden and worked on a bunch of them, they are mostly bullet proof and after they figured out that chassis and suspension matters they became a great ride.  And, I'm sure on the Kawi sites nobody is talking about clunky shifting. That said, I still love the boxer design concept and and with the introduction of the Waterhead motor and chassis, I am not feeling any FOMO for another bike.

49 minutes ago, Paul De said:

Damn, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Kawi,  Having ridden and worked on a bunch of them, they are mostly bullet proof and after they figured out that chassis and suspension matters they became a great ride.  And, I'm sure on the Kawi sites nobody is talking about clunky shifting. That said, I still love the boxer design concept and and with the introduction of the Waterhead motor and chassis, I am not feeling any FOMO for another bike.

In the last few years I think Kawasaki has elevated themselves over other Japanese streetbikes.  Their lineup is so much more appealing (and less expensive) than the rest.

1 minute ago, Tpoppa said:

In the last few years I think Kawasaki has elevated themselves over other Japanese streetbikes.  Their lineup is so much more appealing (and less expensive) than the rest.

Damn, now your just messing with me!

• 2 weeks later...

Just went from a 2015 RT to a 2020 RS. The RT was great at first but started feeling like just too much bike for what I was using it for. Mostly commuting and only one really long RT kind of trip. I started to not ride it unless I had to, not because I wanted to. The RS is a fun but still civilized rocket ship compared to the RT (I will say the RT is no slouch though). I actually like that there's no radio. It's so nice to have a lighter motorcycle again. I will say that I will probably wind up with a taller screen at one point. 

IF you want to tour on it, don't go with the "R". There are issues with the windshield, even the BMW touring add-on. No good way to stabilize them without resorting to rods and clamps going here there and yonder. I have had too many R owners call me about making a windshield for them!

• Like 1