IGNORED

Cruise Control LED

dduelin

I just got back from a four day weekend ride. I forgot my bike cover and the first night out it rained very hard for several hours. My 2007 RT has pretty much always been garage stored and although it turned over 100,000 miles on this trip it's been out of the weather much of its life. Day two and three after the rainy night the red LED in the cruise control switch worked intermittently, a new development for the LED. The cruise control system engages and works like it should - it's only the red LED I'm talking about. When the CC switch was turned on it would light up for 5 or 10 seconds then go dark and not come back on unless the CC was off for a while then switched on. Day three it began like day 2 but as the day wore on and temperatures went up into the 80s F it eventually worked normally again which led me to believe the problem might just be some moisture in the CC switch from the rain storm that was evaporating. Day four it didn't come on at all and it didn't this morning (day five) which leads be to believe it's done. New switches are pretty expensive.

The manual just says to renew the switch pod but I'm not above trying to service it if I can. The handlebar switches on my Hondas are serviceable as far as taking them apart for  cleaning contacts and regreasing the slides and I have done this before with careful attention to the small parts. I can live without the red LED if the switches are not serviceable with the same attention to small flying parts upon disassembly but I don't want to force having to buy a $$$ pod because I mess it up. The switch has been rather stiff and hard to slide since I have owned it and I'm hoping maybe it just needs a cleaning and re-lube to restore the LED function. Any experience with opening the CC switch?

3 hours ago, dduelin said:

I just got back from a four day weekend ride. I forgot my bike cover and the first night out it rained very hard for several hours. My 2007 RT has pretty much always been garage stored and although it turned over 100,000 miles on this trip it's been out of the weather much of its life. Day two and three after the rainy night the red LED in the cruise control switch worked intermittently, a new development for the LED. The cruise control system engages and works like it should - it's only the red LED I'm talking about. When the CC switch was turned on it would light up for 5 or 10 seconds then go dark and not come back on unless the CC was off for a while then switched on. Day three it began like day 2 but as the day wore on and temperatures went up into the 80s F it eventually worked normally again which led me to believe the problem might just be some moisture in the CC switch from the rain storm that was evaporating. Day four it didn't come on at all and it didn't this morning (day five) which leads be to believe it's done. New switches are pretty expensive.

The manual just says to renew the switch pod but I'm not above trying to service it if I can. The handlebar switches on my Hondas are serviceable as far as taking them apart for  cleaning contacts and regreasing the slides and I have done this before with careful attention to the small parts. I can live without the red LED if the switches are not serviceable with the same attention to small flying parts upon disassembly but I don't want to force having to buy a $$$ pod because I mess it up. The switch has been rather stiff and hard to slide since I have owned it and I'm hoping maybe it just needs a cleaning and re-lube to restore the LED function. Any experience with opening the CC switch?

Afternoon dduelin

Just let it dry out in the sun for a while & it should go back to working as normal. 

There really isn't much of any service to do, I think it is a contact type  switch but BMW was switching over to foil type switches in your bike's time frame on some models so make darn sure that your bike doesn't have a foil type switch  before spraying anything like WD-40 or contact cleaner into that switch assembly. 

On 8/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon dduelin

Just let it dry out in the sun for a while & it should go back to working as normal. 

There really isn't much of any service to do, I think it is a contact type  switch but BMW was switching over to foil type switches in your bike's time frame on some models so make darn sure that your bike doesn't have a foil type switch  before spraying anything like WD-40 or contact cleaner into that switch assembly. 

I hadn't ridden the bike since August 9th so I got it out yesterday ( no mean feat, we've been installing new flooring and the garage is temporarily full of living room furniture) and the LED seems to be working normally again. Took a little time to dry out I suppose.

Dave

Ya,.....my little red dot's been out for some years,....but then again, while it is garaged at night, it sits in monsoons when we have them at work.  nearly 140k and if that's the only thing wrong, so be it.  Cruise works perfectly other than the little red dot on the switch.