IGNORED

Need some help with a 78 R100/7 question

Beemer Dave

Hey all,

New to the BMW forums here, I have a tech question I was hoping someone out there may know the answer to? Im normally a Harley guy but recently started a frame up restoration on my fathers 1978 BMW R100/7. I ran into one problem recently that I can not wrap my head around. For the life of me, I can not get the driveshaft separated from the driveshaft coupling. If you are thinking that the driveshaft I have is like the ones from the 80's models you are wrong. This driveshaft unlike the ones from the 80's does not have the internal spring and snap ring holding the driveshaft coupling in place. Ive literally tried everything i could to separate the two parts in order to get the driveshaft out of the swing arm so I can go and powdercoat the swing arm and nothing has worked. I have had it soaking in a cadalyst (PB Blaster) for two weeks and it will not budge. Please, any suggestions would be more than appreciated. I even broke a wheel puller trying to separate the two pieces! I know im missing something and someone out there has taken the two apart at one time or another I am sure. Once again, thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.  

22 hours ago, Beemer Dave said:

Hey all,

New to the BMW forums here, I have a tech question I was hoping someone out there may know the answer to? Im normally a Harley guy but recently started a frame up restoration on my fathers 1978 BMW R100/7. I ran into one problem recently that I can not wrap my head around. For the life of me, I can not get the driveshaft separated from the driveshaft coupling. If you are thinking that the driveshaft I have is like the ones from the 80's models you are wrong. This driveshaft unlike the ones from the 80's does not have the internal spring and snap ring holding the driveshaft coupling in place. Ive literally tried everything i could to separate the two parts in order to get the driveshaft out of the swing arm so I can go and powdercoat the swing arm and nothing has worked. I have had it soaking in a cadalyst (PB Blaster) for two weeks and it will not budge. Please, any suggestions would be more than appreciated. I even broke a wheel puller trying to separate the two pieces! I know im missing something and someone out there has taken the two apart at one time or another I am sure. Once again, thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.  

Morning  Dave

If no snap ring then probably a flanged nut, did you remove the nut first?

If you removed the nut then I usually drop a piece of aluminum round stock into the rear of the coupling to contact the shaft end), then clamp on a bearing splitter under the housing, then use a gear puller threaded into the side of the gear splitter  to force the aluminum round stock down into the housing & force the shaft out.

If real tight then a little  heat on the housing to expand it (not a lot of heat).

Years ago I had one that was so tight I had to finagle it into my arbor press then press it out creaking & groaning all the way out (actually left a deep depression in the aluminum slug that I used to press on the shaft end) 

I haven't done many as I try my best  to not have to remove those darn drive shafts if possible.  

If you just can't get it out then possibly post your question to a dedicated airhead web site as some of those old airhead owners are pretty clever when it comes to workaround tools  & procedures. (I just haven't done that many to be a lot of help to you)